What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Is it fair to say that if you disassemble an expensive razor that has multiple small, difficult to replace parts, over an open drain large enough to swallow said parts, that you have a screw loose? :out:

I don't know...is it fair to say that one normally cleans razors next to running water...which just might be over the bathroom or kitchen sink?

It uses the same one as the Gibbs.

IF I do end up ordering one of these razors, I might ask him if he would send a spare spring, as I am just awful with these things...unless you're telling me it is a spring of a standard specification that I can get at any hardware store.

Its - 0.8mmx10mmx15mm 304 Stainless Steel Compression Springs
I bought on Ebay. there are a few guys doing them -

0.8mmx10mmx15mm 304 Stainless Steel Compression Springs 20pcs 604267561818 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/391722383114

Is that the spring used in Gibbs, or Taiga? Unless you have both, and the springs are completely identical?

I have the SS Taiga, and probably my only complaint is that the ring adjusting the settings moves a bit too easily. Normally I would have one finger higher up on the handle whilst shaving, where the adjustment ring is, but had to change that, by modifying my grip, as I was worried I might change the setting unintentionally.
I now wonder if replacing the spring with a slightly stronger/ stiffer one (maybe a 0.9 or 1 mm steel wire, instead of 0.8 mm) might solve this…? 🤔🤔

Last edited:
I don't know...is it fair to say that one normally cleans razors next to running water...which just might be over the bathroom or kitchen sink?

If one normally runs with scissors and dances with wolves, then perhaps it is fair to say.

For my part, much as I love wolves and find scissors quite useful upon occasion, I choose to limit my risk by taking simple steps to avoid potentially bad outcomes.

I may however be overly cautious, coming from a background of things like rock climbing and machine tool usage, where mistakes tend to have rather significant and often life altering, or ending, consequences.

So, call me an unreasonable outlier if you will, but I’m still alive (in my mid 50’s), and still have all my fingers and both eyes. I also can’t remember the last I dropped something down a drain……but that could just be the dementia. :letterk1:

If you do end up trying this, please update the thread with your observations.

Sure, will do.
Waiting to hear from @Clouds whether those are the exact dimensions of the Taiga spring, before I have a look to see if I can find a stiffer one….
(Again, I’m guessing that it’s only the stiffness of the steel spring that determines how easy it is to turn the adjustment ring… might not necessarily be the case… no idea 🤷‍♂️)

Is that the spring used in Gibbs, or Taiga? Unless you have both, and the springs are completely identical?

I have the SS Taiga, and probably my only complaint is that the ring adjusting the settings moves a bit too easily. Normally I would have one finger higher up on the handle whilst shaving, where the adjustment ring is, but had to change that, by modifying my grip, as I was worried I might change the setting unintentionally.
I now wonder if replacing the spring with a slightly stronger/ stiffer one (maybe a 0.9 or 1 mm steel wire, instead of 0.8 mm) might solve this…? 🤔🤔

That spring is an replacement spring and will also work in the Taiga. A 0.9mm should stiffen things up a bit.
I'm not sure if a 1mm will work - you are cutting the tolerances pretty close.

Edit: The Taiga is also a 0.8mm.

Wasn’t expecting the disassembled picture to provoke so much angst;)

But, looking at my photo again, it got me remembering how shiny the spring is in the titanium razor, which I didn’t remember seeing when I took apart the stainless razor.

So, I just took them both apart, and voila, the springs are different! This will no doubt prompt some discussion.

Now, photos—spring from Ti razor is on left, spring from stainless razor is on right. Notice they the metal is a different color, shiner on the one from the Ti, and the Ti spring is taller:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The gauge of the spring wire seems tone a little thicker on the right one too.

Anyone here got any idea why they’d be different? Could the left spring be titanium, is that even a thing?

I would like to get some spairs too, and it would be good to find out from Homelike why the springs are different.

Anyone else want to take their apart and see which spring. Mine are both from the V2 lots. The Ti is serial Ti-043 and the stainless is serial 226.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, looking at my photo again, it got me remembering how shiny the spring is in the titanium razor, which I didn’t remember seeing when I took apart the stainless razor.

So, I just took them both apart, and voila, the springs are different! This will no doubt prompt some discussion.

Now, photos—spring from Ti razor is on left, spring from stainless razor is on right. Notice they the metal is a different color, shiner on the one from the Ti, and the Ti spring is taller:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyone here got any idea why they’d be different? Could the left spring be titanium, is that even a thing?

I would like to get some spairs too, and it would be good to find out from Homelike why the springs are different.

Anyone else want to take their apart and see which spring. Mine are both from the V2 lots. The Ti is serial Ti-043 and the stainless is serial 226.

Interesting…
Yes, they do say in the description on their website that the spring is stainless steel, both for the SS but also for the Ti razor.
Does the one on the right, from the SS razor, feel a bit stiffer than the other? I wonder if it needs to be stronger/ offer more resistance, as the SS parts are heavier?

PS Do you have any way to measure the dimensions of the two springs?

Interesting…
Yes, they do say in the description on their website that the spring is stainless steel, both for the SS but also for the Ti razor.
Does the one on the right, from the SS razor, feel a bit stiffer than the other? I wonder if it needs to be stronger/ offer more resistance, as the SS parts are heavier?

PS Do you have any way to measure the dimensions of the two springs?

The one on the right is stiffer, but it doesn’t have to compress as much. When I put them both back together I found that the one on the left was overall providing more force when reassembling . And that lines up with the experience I have with the dials: the Ti with the taller spring has a dial a little harder to turn than the stainless—the stainless is pretty easy to turn.

I can measure both, you want height and diameter? I don’t have anything to measure force with if that’s what you’re asking about.

Mine is from V1.

Josh

proxy.php

Your spring looks different than both of mine. Taller like the one in my photo on the left but less shiny and darker colored. So they have used at least three types of springs.

Looking forward to seeing some more v2’s post their springs.

Your spring looks different than both of mine. Taller like the one in my photo on the left but less shiny and darker colored. So they have used at least three types of springs.

Looking forward to seeing some more v2’s post their springs.

I forgot that I have two V1’s. Looks like the spring is pretty much the same between the two. [emoji2369]

Josh

proxy.php

The one on the right is stiffer, but it doesn’t have to compress as much. When I put them both back together I found that the one on the left was overall providing more force when reassembling . And that lines up with the experience I have with the dials: the Ti with the taller spring has a dial a little harder to turn than the stainless—the stainless is pretty easy to turn.

I can measure both, you want height and diameter? I don’t have anything to measure force with if that’s what you’re asking about.

Thanks, yes, I was interested in height, outer diameter, and (if possible..) the steel wire gauge/ diameter.
I appreciate force/ resistance would be tricky to measure.

I wonder what happens if you tried to switch the springs between the two razors, ie use the taller spring (which provides more resistance) in the SS razor? 🤔
Would the dial on the SS razor become a bit harder to turn, as you currently say it is on the Ti razor?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I emailed Homelike, asking specifically about the steel spring dimensions for the SS Taiga V2.
Their reply below:

“The standard size of spare is 10 x 10 mm, stainless steel with a diameter of 1.0 mm, but you can put 10 x 12 mm, this will be a reinforced version”

I didn’t ask about the Ti Taiga, unfortunately, and whether/ why they’re different….

I will measure the springs. I have a caliper do I can do wire gauge.

Anyone got a lead on springs of the sizes Homelike mentioned? I’m glancing through Ebay and haven’t seen any yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom