What's new

Holy grail razor

What's your holy grail? If you had yo pick ONE to live with, what is it and why?

Mine is the Rex ambassador. Every time I use it I leave the den saying "wow!"
Very comfortable and efficient for me and my coarse hair but able to use for daily shaving.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.
Perma-Sharp are my favorite blades

The Russian Taiga Adjustable V1 with both baseplates - having both handles is just the icing on the cake!! [emoji3]

I’ve tried and continue to use quite a few razors, but I’ll always have a Taiga in my shave den. [emoji1360] [emoji482]

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Kennyg2019 , did you try the Wolfman and the Blackland Tradere ?
I relegated my Timeless Titanium 0.68 to travel razor after I bought the Blackland Tradere SB.

The Timeless is great especially with a Feather blade and a steep angle. Every time I travel and use it, I think it is too good for a travel razor but than when I go back to the Blackland Tradere, the Timeless stays in my travel kit.

I’m just fortunate to have two razors that could be grail razors and a stable of others for somewhat special occasions. Tomorrow will be my 1955 A4 Red Tip Superspeed in honor of what would have been my 40th anniversary. The A4 Red Tip corresponds to the quarter in which my late wife was born so that will be my grail razor tomorrow.

I relegated my Timeless Titanium 0.68 to travel razor after I bought the Blackland Tradere SB.

The Timeless is great especially with a Feather blade and a steep angle. Every time I travel and use it, I think it is too good for a travel razor but than when I go back to the Blackland Tradere, the Timeless stays in my travel kit.

I’m just fortunate to have two razors that could be grail razors and a stable of others for somewhat special occasions. Tomorrow will be my 1955 A4 Red Tip Superspeed in honor of what would have been my 40th anniversary. The A4 Red Tip corresponds to the quarter in which my late wife was born so that will be my grail razor tomorrow.

Interesting @sm29 !
Could you elaborate on why you prefer so much the Tradere vs the Timeless please ?
Any other Blackland that you like ?

I’ve in mind 3 razors that I'd like to compare with my Timeless 0.68 (and my Feather WS-D2S) :
  • Wolfman TI (if not, SS) WR2 0.95 SB WRH2 90mm Hollow
  • Blackland Tradere
  • Henson TI22
Have you ever tried a Wolfman WR2 ?

Not yet. I tried the Blackbird but it wasn’t mild enough for me. Also, I prefer the weight of titanium, so I don’t know if I will try any more steel razors. I may try the mildest Wolfman someday or a Karve Ti if/when that comes out. But, thanks for the suggestions. I just went through a two-month testing period, so I’m just enjoying the Timeless for now…trying different blades etc.

Not yet. I tried the Blackbird but it wasn’t mild enough for me. Also, I prefer the weight of titanium, so I don’t know if I will try any more steel razors. I may try the mildest Wolfman someday or a Karve Ti if/when that comes out. But, thanks for the suggestions. I just went through a two-month testing period, so I’m just enjoying the Timeless for now…trying different blades etc.

if I understood correctly, the Wolfman WR2 1.05 has a neutral blade exposure (like our Timeless 0.68), while the Wolfman WR2 0.95 has a negative blade exposure.

Regarding Blackland, the blackbird is apparently way more aggressive than the Tradere.
@sm29 just said he prefer his Tradere to his Timeless 0.68

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Not yet. I tried the Blackbird but it wasn’t mild enough for me. Also, I prefer the weight of titanium, so I don’t know if I will try any more steel razors. I may try the mildest Wolfman someday...

I have a lot of experience with a variety of Timeless, Blackland, Wolfman razors. The one thing I will say is that the Wolfman WR2 1.15 is smoother than the Timeless 68, and as efficient, if not more so, than the Timeless 95. I can get better shaves from the Wolf than the 95, and with much less drama. So there is no need to get the mildest Wolfman. Anything up to 1.15 will have a neutral blade exposure. I also have a 1.25 and that one introduces some blade feel. I had a blackbird as well and it was too much for me. The Wolf is just right. Never tried the Tradere. Too many mixed reviews to drop that kind of cash. Too risky. I am tremendously happy with my Wolfmans.

I have a lot of experience with a variety of Timeless, Blackland, Wolfman razors. The one thing I will say is that the Wolfman WR2 1.15 is smoother than the Timeless 68, and as efficient, if not more so, than the Timeless 95. I can get better shaves from the Wolf than the 95, and with much less drama. So there is no need to get the mildest Wolfman. Anything up to 1.15 will have a neutral blade exposure. I also have a 1.25 and that one introduces some blade feel. I had a blackbird as well and it was too much for me. The Wolf is just right. Never tried the Tradere. Too many mixed reviews to drop that kind of cash. Too risky. I am tremendously happy with my Wolfmans.

Thank you for your input @BradWorld !
I've read a lot of your posts regarding the Wolfman :)
I've filled the Google form to order a WR2, but I'm hoping I can buy one from a member before the months of waiting.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thank you for your input @BradWorld !
I've read a lot of your posts regarding the Wolfman :)
I've filled the Google form to order a WR2, but I'm hoping I can buy one from a member before the months of waiting.
Yup. Glad to help. Just sold my Timeless 95 because it had become absolutely obsolete with three Wolfmans in the den. Keeping the 68 for now. The only thing that has measured up to a Wolf in my experience has been Charcoal Goods. But the CG is no where near as smooth as a Wolf.

Check that…I may not try a Wolfman after all. At $650, they’re a little out of my price range.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Check that…I may not try a Wolfman after all. At $650, they’re a little out of my price range.
Where do you live? In the US, the basic polish version, which is better looking than other premium polish razors, is about half the cost you have quoted above. The Canadian exchange rate fluctuates, and affects the cost for us Americans quite a bit. My first Wolfman cost about $40 less than my last one even though the Canadian price was exactly the same. The premium polish is a huge up charge. The basic polish is so beautiful though. I would never pay the juice to get the premium polish. But I do understand why some people do. The premium polish literally has a mirror finish. Cheers.

Hi.
The best for me today is the Carbon Cx-Ti .71 on the V1 handle. Blade Feather. Soft and effective.
I wish everyone to find their best razor at least for a while.
Thanks.

Interesting @sm29 !
Could you elaborate on why you prefer so much the Tradere vs the Timeless please ?
Any other Blackland that you like ?

I’ve in mind 3 razors that I'd like to compare with my Timeless 0.68 (and my Feather WS-D2S) :
  • Wolfman TI (if not, SS) WR2 0.95 SB WRH2 90mm Hollow
  • Blackland Tradere
  • Henson TI22
Have you ever tried a Wolfman WR2 ?
I can find nothing not to like about the Timeless but somehow I kept looking.

I watched the Wolfman site daily for drops but always missed and then I purchased a Janus LE and waited many months through the production process. The Janus prototype seemed to give me everything from a very smooth comfortable shave all the way through to a very efficient shave that was said to be butter smooth, and it was designed as a stainless steel Toggle. Unfortunately the engineer/manufacturer listened to the wrong people and changed the highly rated prototype to a highly aggressive, rough shaver that I could not use and be happy with.

After returning the Janus I realized how important a 30 day trial period was before spending a large sum on a razor. Wolfman now had a waiting list but with no ability to speak to the producer, numerous gap choices and no ability for a manufacturer refund if I chose wrong, a Wolfman was no longer desired by me. No doubt if I chose the right gap I would have gotten a good razor but not necessarily a razor that was great for me.

Because the $500 refund from the Janus was burning a hole in my pocket, I called Shane at Blackland to discuss his razors and his soon to be released Tradere. After learning of how the Timeless was my favorite he recommended the Tradere and also mentioned a down the road (and now sold out twice Titanium Blackbird). Assured of the satisfaction guarantee I purchased the Tradere and waited for production to complete.

The Tradere is a different razor, first it holds the blade flat but securely, next it is heavy and it also has a fairly long handle. Finding the angle took me some time and I originally settled on a somewhat shallow angle but then migrated to a steep angle which I like even more. The next comments are for me and ymmv but the shave is more efficient than that of the Timeless at a cost of slightly more blade feel. The weight and tendency to choke up too far on the handle had to be overcome and because of that I would recommend 10 to 20 shaves to give it a fair test. For me at around the 12th shave I knew I had a new everyday razor.

My advice is to call Shane and get his thoughts after you tell him what you like and if it looks like a fit, buy it with the assurance that you can return it if it does not work out. Your only risk is the postage cost.

Where do you live? In the US, the basic polish version, which is better looking than other premium polish razors, is about half the cost you have quoted above. The Canadian exchange rate fluctuates, and affects the cost for us Americans quite a bit. My first Wolfman cost about $40 less than my last one even though the Canadian price was exactly the same. The premium polish is a huge up charge. The basic polish is so beautiful though. I would never pay the juice to get the premium polish. But I do understand why some people do. The premium polish literally has a mirror finish. Cheers.
C6ABCE68-0548-41A8-8074-020190D37C02.jpeg
I live in NY.
Is this the one? If not, could you post the link? Thanks.
I didn’t realize (or forgot) Wolfman was made in Canada 🇨🇦 so maybe the price is CAD…so this “brushed polished” one would probably be around $500 USD (I think).

Top Bottom