What's new

F1-No more "Grid Girls"

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I think this is a huge tempest in a tea pot about getting rid of an anachronism. I'm not really interested in debating the finer points of gender politics, because that's fruitless, but from a practical point of view they seem to me to be nothing more than eye candy fulfilling an unnecessary role. I can understand why a lot of guys are getting upset since they seem to view it as an attack on a male institution, but it's not really something I can personally see getting upset over. I don't think cheerleaders and dancers are in the same category because they have to compete based on talent rather than how they look in a skimpy outfit.

I'm more concerned about the fact that, if I had a son, I couldn't put him into a boys only hockey team or scout troop, but I can put my daughters in all girl or mixed teams and troops if I wanted to. I think the grid girls going the way of the dodo isn't really something to get worked up about in the grand scheme of things.

Well....I dated a San Diego Charger cheerleader and I can tell you that it's extremely competitive. Not only for looks but for dance skills. A few of the cheerleaders were trained dancers (one I met was an NYU/Tisch graduate). As far as the pay, that's not what it's about. The girl I dated was also a nurse. The cheerleading was, for her, fulfilling her desire to be a professional cheerleader, not an income generator. And yeah, they all had very 'athletic' bodies, I mean, they'd have to. The workouts are grueling and the routines can be fairly complex. Talent indeed...

I think the sexist messaging to young boys is just as atrocious.

The message F1 racing is sending to young men that if YOU aren't a race car driver, aren't coming in 1st place, aren't making the Big Bucks racing for a living then YOU are a LOSER.

This type of objectifying the Alpha male concept of winning is clearly not what a progressive society wants for its' young men is it?

Well....I dated a San Diego Charger cheerleader and I can tell you that it's extremely competitive. Not only for looks but for dance skills. A few of the cheerleaders were trained dancers (one I met was an NYU/Tisch graduate). As far as the pay, that's not what it's about. The girl I dated was also a nurse. The cheerleading was, for her, fulfilling her desire to be a professional cheerleader, not an income generator. And yeah, they all had very 'athletic' bodies, I mean, they'd have to. The workouts are grueling.

Very true, they are just doing it as a part-time job. Many are trying to break into related lines of work like dance, modeling, acting etc but many others are like your ex and work in unrelated professions.

Oh, just realized, I meant to say "not JUST how they look" but such athletics always requires a lithe body.

Exactly! Like I said, I definitely wouldn't want my daughters involved in that line of work.

They should set the minimum wage for professional sports cheerleaders at $350k a year. Peanuts compare to player salaries.

When this happens, then I will have a different opinion about things.

Then I'd like to see someone outside of the industry try to force those, high paying, Jobs to be vacated.

Until then, those jobs are little more than meat market positions, to be filled by anyone with the proper physical attributes.

Until then, those jobs are little more than meat market positions, to be filled by anyone with the proper physical attributes.

Are you referring to the cheerleaders, the NFL players or what? I'd like a NFL paycheck, but lack the proper physical attributes.

I also lack the attributes to be a cheerleader, so I guess I'm straight up out of luck.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

With respect, that is so untrue. Your opinion, sure, but misguided IMO...

Are you referring to the cheerleaders, the NFL players or what? I'd like a NFL paycheck, but lack the proper physical attributes.

I also lack the attributes to be a cheerleader, so I guess I'm straight up out of luck.

I believe the thread is about grid girls. These are attractive women, hired to stand in one place and look attractive.

The topic has morphed to encompass all female sports "add ons" so, no, not talking about Male professional athletes.

Not sure how much longer mods will let this run in its current chaotic state.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I believe the thread is about grid girls. These are attractive women, hired to stand in one place and look attractive.

The topic has morphed to encompass all female sports "add ons" so, no, not talking about Male professional athletes.

You specifically mentioned cheerleaders in your earlier post (#65).

Last edited:

But you can still work at Wal-Mart and make more than the later.

I apologize if I derailed on the cheerleader/dancer thing. I was only using it as a comparison. I believe you are correct that the Grid Girls are just marketing positions. Are they even paid or is it volunteer?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I apologize if I derailed on the cheerleader/dancer thing. I was only using it as a comparison. I believe you are correct that the Grid Girls are just marketing positions. Are they even paid or is it volunteer?

They are typically hired from local modeling agencies and paid a flat 'day rate'

I don't see any reason for the thread to be closed?

Nobody is attacking anybody else personally. Nobody has brought up political opinions.

having the discussion expand from Grid Girls sexism emancipation to other fields in which similar women are employed seems to be on topic as well.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I don't see any reason for the thread to be closed?

Nobody is attacking anybody else personally. Nobody has brought up political opinions.

having the discussion expand from Grid Girls sexism emancipation to other fields in which similar women are employed seems to be on topic as well.

Agreed. I don't understand the call for Mods here.

Exactly. I mean this is the second thread we’ve had with grown men crying in their beer over the loss of scantily clad babes on the TV. Time to man up!

After all we still have Hooters where we can take our sorrows

Disclaimer: I've never been to a Hooters

proxy.php

shavefan

I’m not a fan
After all we still have Hooters where we can take our sorrows

Disclaimer: I've never been to a Hooters

proxy.php

Awwww, coloring books!

Years ago I had a colleague that would go with his wife and kids on a regular basis.

Top Bottom