What's new

F1-No more "Grid Girls"

shavefan

I’m not a fan
As much as I do no undervalue or denigrate women who wish to pursue this line of work, it is also not a valid reason to perpetuate it regardless of the desires of said women either. The market will determine its value and not those supplying the product or service and right now the market has moved on from this type of strictly eye candy position, thus it is an anachronism that will be eliminated in the fullness of time. This is not a moral judgement but just a reality of the current state of affairs in the World.

Interesting. I struggle with the notion that the appreciation of female beauty is an anachronism.

Which line of work? Modeling or waitressing?

Also, I'm not sure that the market is moving on just yet. Have you watched a commercial lately? For anything?

Last edited:
As much as I do not undervalue or denigrate women who wish to pursue this line of work, it is also not a valid reason to perpetuate it regardless of the desires of said women either.

I'd say replace all the Male CEOs with a chicken on a grid. All the decisions out to be walked over and the one that gets the poo is the direction of the company.

I can see the shareholders now, rooting "go merger, go merger". "Stock split, stock split"...

Why pay for a sexiest CEO position when a chicken with the runs can do just as good of a job.

proxy.php

Interesting. I struggle with the notion that the appreciation of female beauty is an anachronism.

Which line of work? Modeling or waitressing?

Also, I'm not sure that the market is moving on just yet. Have you watched a commercial lately? For anything?

No, I am referring specifically to the Sports Eye Candy, modeling and waitressing have value. As far as I can see, these girls filled a niche position that was needed, at one time but now no longer. Marketing campaigns and grid girls who probably get 3 or 4 hours of work in that position in their life aren't even close to the same thing. I think you have to appreciate that the undercurrent in society is that women are moving away from roles that value only their looks and have been for some time now. I really don't care either way but I certainly see what's happening and it's just the way things are moving, no use getting upset about it times change and we need to accept it.

Not specifically to you or anyone on this thread, but I do find it interesting that people are trying to compare this decision with everything from spokes models and waitresses to CEOs though. It just shows how people let emotions try to dictate their logic instead of the other way around. Many seem to be very upset with such a small thing in reality. Although you will need a new avatar I suspect. ;)

I wonder if this has gone off the rails, or if it's really something that is part of a larger issue, and that being that we (the majority of posters here are older men) are dinosaurs and we are fading out and we will soon be Archie Bunker in his lazy boy lol.

Last edited:
I'd say replace all the Male CEOs with a chicken on a grid. All the decisions out to be walked over and the one that gets the poo is the direction of the company.

I can see the shareholders now, rooting "go merger, go merger". "Stock split, stock split"...

Why pay for a sexiest CEO position when a chicken with the runs can do just as good of a job.

Funny thing is, a lot of CEOs would easily be replaced by such lol. Of course, now even close to the same thing but the humour is appreciated.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

proxy.php
The chicken would do a better job than the idiots running Sears.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Oh you ... hehehe!

I think you have to appreciate that the undercurrent in society is that women are moving away from roles that value only their looks and have been for some time now.

You assume that the "undercurrent" has a straight, continuing trajectory ... but maybe it's more like a swinging pendulum? Let's assume that our Victorian forebears would have been aghast at a couple scantily clad lasses walking beside sports heroes on the way to the podium, but sometime in the 20th century that changed and became the "norm" ... and who's to say it will stay the same or change one way or the other back and forth. Perhaps 100 years from now the commentators of the day will be making fun of our neo-Victorian prudishness?

I wonder if ... we (the majority of posters here are older men) are dinosaurs and we are fading out and we will soon be Archie Bunker in his lazy boy lol.

Actually, I rather think that human nature is far older and far more hard-wired into our very being than we care to admit. Millions of years of evolutionary development and darwinian reinforcement of selected traits and characteristics cannot be undone by a few decades of "social progress".

This isn't about what is and what isn't a "good idea" ... it's about whether or not you can defrost Greenland with a Bic lighter.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
You assume that the "undercurrent" has a straight, continuing trajectory ... but maybe it's more like a swinging pendulum? Let's assume that our Victorian forebears would have been aghast at a couple scantily clad lasses walking beside sports heroes on the way to the podium, but sometime in the 20th century that changed and became the "norm" ... and who's to say it will stay the same or change one way or the other back and forth. Perhaps 100 years from now the commentators of the day will be making fun of our neo-Victorian prudishness?

Actually, I rather think that human nature is far older and far more hard-wired into our very being than we care to admit. Millions of years of evolutionary development and darwinian reinforcement of selected traits and characteristics cannot be undone by a few decades of "social progress".

This isn't about what is and what isn't a "good idea" ... it's about whether or not you can defrost Greenland with a Bic lighter.

Very well said! Better than I ever could... Obviously I am in 100% agreement. I posted earlier, something poorly written, about trying to change what is in fact innate.

Women will continue to be grid girls, cheerleaders, ring girls, and Hooters waitresses as long as there is money to be made from their participation.

When money is no longer made, their services will no longer be required.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
No, I am referring specifically to the Sports Eye Candy, modeling and waitressing have value.

Perhaps I am missing something here (probable), but are you saying that modeling has value...unless it's on the tarmac? What sets these women apart from say those at the New York fashion show?

Not specifically to you or anyone on this thread...

...Although you will need a new avatar I suspect. ;)

Wait, did you just single me out? :001_unsur As far as my avatar, it will soon be considered "vintage" is all...

Edit: Have you ever been to a major fashion show? Let me tell you, there is more skin shown at those events than you will ever see at an F1 race, Hooters, or NFL half time. And guess who's in the front row. The likes of all the disgusted SJW's that cry crocodile tears for the objectification of women. However the 'grid girls' don't get to drink champagne with the Paris fashion show crowd after their event...

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Marketing campaigns and grid girls who probably get 3 or 4 hours of work in that position in their life aren't even close to the same thing.

No, they are not the same thing. But larger marketing campaigns use modeling agencies all the time. Sometimes the event only lasts 3-4 hours but sometimes it's all day. Or all night. These women work at corporate events, club openings, for liquor companies (think 'shot girl'), boat shows, auto shows, trade shows...You get the idea.

They can make anywhere from $300-400 per "gig" upwards to $1000. And they have great flexibility in choosing when to work which allows them to pursue other things, like college.

Oh you ... hehehe!

The pendulum has been swinging for a long time and you are only seeing a small window of it. I have nothing against nudity, in fact this culture is one of the few that has such a repressed attitude about sex. I really hope they do make fun of this repression, I'm much more in favour of the free sexual openness of the Germanic and Nordic cultures.

We certainly are hardwired and I think you misunderstand my whole argument, I'm not talking about social justice nor aestheticism but just the market realities that corporations are working under. Like it or not, eye candy just isn't as profitable as it used to be. And no, it has nothing to do with your analogy or evolutionary forces, it has to do with money and how corporations decide what is best for their brand in the current market, nothing more nothing less. Evolution and sexual attraction will go on without grid girls.

Top Bottom