What's new

Are All Adjustables Aggressive To More Aggressive?

To be honest, I have only used the Variant twice so far, so my experience is limited. But, when at the top setting the OC Variant is MUCH smoother than the Progress. I have not used the Variant (or Progress) below 3, but it might fit your desire for a milder razor. But my taste is bias towards more aggression, so my experience might not be a fair comparison to yours.

I concur with the recommendation above for the adjustable Tatara. Even with my preference towards aggression, I love the Tatara. So gentle yet so very efficient. In my opinion, if you could save up for one it may be your perfect adjustable razor.

Also, I support Shane's @Blackland Razors contributions to the discussions. He is always quick to steer shavers to razors that seem to fit their expressed needs/desires. His credibility is solid in these discussions.

To answer the title question of "are all adjustables aggressive to more aggressive," I think the answer is no for me with regards to the vintage Schick adjustable injector. I have heard similar things about the Parker adjustable injector as well. I haven't used the Parker injector, but my vintage Schick M3 provides me excellent shaves and I don't consider it aggressive, especially on lower settings.

To be honest, I have only used it twice so far, so my experience is limited. But, when at the top setting the OC Variant is MUCH smoother than the Progress. I have not used the Variant (or Progress) below 3, but it might fit your desire for a milder razor. But my taste is bias towards more aggression, so my experience might not be a fair comparison to yours.

I concur with the recommendation above for the adjustable Tatara. Even with my preference towards aggression, I love the Tatara. So gentle yet so very efficient. In my opinion, if you could save up for one it may be your perfect adjustable razor.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Merkur Progress is very mild on the lowest settings, IMHO on the lowest setting it's just like the 34C HD. On the highest setting it's pretty agressive and it works well with a Feather blade on my skin.

My new (to me) Pearl Flexi arrived in the mail a couple of hours ago.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Awesome. Enjoy the Flexi 😀👍
Boy, I really am.
I started out after many months of traditional shaving wondering if an adjustable razor was the answer to a problem that doesn't really exist.
When I'm done shaving with a non-adjustable razor, do I break down in tears, sobbing, and blubbering, "But I wanted a more aggressive shave along my jawline and a less aggressive shave on my neck!"?
No.
But I have to admit having the option to adjust the shave ain't a bad thing at all.
I'm really enjoying the Pearl Flexi. It's an absolutely fantastic razor.

I've had Variant for a few years now, and used it on all settings. At 1.5-2.5 it's very smooth and - in my opinion - rather mild. It's my one of my favorite razors.

It's supposed to be a clone of Progress, but I've read many people saying it's actually an improvement over Progress.

That said, I bought it thinking I would adjust settings as I shave different parts of my face. This ended up being too much work and honestly not necessary. I tend to use Parker just like any other razor, set it to 3.5 and leave it there.

I've had Variant for a few years now, and used it on all settings. At 1.5-2.5 it's very smooth and - in my opinion - rather mild. It's my one of my favorite razors.

It's supposed to be a clone of Progress, but I've read many people saying it's actually an improvement over Progress.

That said, I bought it thinking I would adjust settings as I shave different parts of my face. This ended up being too much work and honestly not necessary. I tend to use Parker just like any other razor, set it to 3.5 and leave it there.
I totally get that. I don't always change settings on the two adjustables I have, although I have found myself using that feature on the Flexi more often.

I certainly had no problem with it. The Osprey is a great razor but he also recommended a couple of others. Pretty cool in my book.
How aggressive is the Osprey at lower settings? I tried a Rex and found it was only bearable for me on 1/2. Same on the Yaqi Ultima Stainless.

Watched a good review of the Parker Variant OC.

Like mild but efficient razors and I’ve found that regular DEs work better for me than adjustables. Maybe I haven’t found the right adjustable

Top Bottom