What's new

F.O.C.S. Fiends

Nice shave with the FOCS this morning.
Used a new Nacet and really tried to use a light touch for a 2 pass shave. It resulted in BBS shave with no irritation.

20210215_083712.jpg

The FOCS is lighter than my normal razors, so it has taken a while to get the best out of it. As it feels so smooth with little blade feel, at first I thought it wasn't doing anything. Hence why I did add a bit of pressure without realizing.
With my heavier razors I find it easier to use a light touch, and let the razor weight do the work.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
shave 20210219.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave/Fragrance: Pinaud Clubman Musk After Shave Cologne

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The FOCS Rocks! :thumbup:

Excellent shave. :cool:

This razor has been excellent. I got it a few months ago and it's all I've been using. It's giving me great shaves daily, and I'm not usually the type to shave daily (I'm lazy). I like this thing enough that I'm starting to shave more often (that's probably the highest praise I can give a razor). I have a Grande, a Piccolo, a Joris Plisson, and a Gentile. Big fan of Fatip. I think they're the most underrated razor company around. I'll take a Fatip over a Merkur anyday.

OK, I am in.. Convinced after several bbs dfs's, even with the possible quality issues.... My first Fatip, my first slant and my favorite razor sofar.
The only downside..... This razor shaves so close it is hardly worth it to shave every day ....

proxy.php

My FOCS arrived today so I would like to join the club. My first Fatip and first slant. I got the grande in chrome. Would have preferred gold but it wasn’t available. It is a beauty. One very minor mark on the handle is all I could find. Feels like a fine instrument that should cost at least twice as much. Will shave with it tomorrow morning.

Some questions:

1. I believe you shave with the handle straight so the head will not be perpendicular to the direction of the stroke, correct? Else it wouldn’t really be a slant, right?

2. I loaded an Astra SP blade the classic way: top cap face up on counter, dropped blade in, put baseplate on top, and screwed in handle. Each side looks like it has the same blade reveal. On a given side, the blade reveal decreases from left to right? Is this correct. Please see pics.

3. I noticed that the blade gap is miniscule. So this should be very mild, correct? But efficient?

thanks

9810EC3C-7774-41E8-9328-05482BA4880C.jpegC10E9FD1-B948-4E30-864D-E057A515EBAF.jpeg

I got the grande in chrome.

I guess technically it is not a Grande, since the handle design has an oblique string motif, as they call it, but otherwise is the same as a Grande. But the Piccolo Storto Original also has the oblique string motif, and they call it a Piccolo, obviously. So shouldn't the one I got be called a Grande?

No, the official name of your razor is 'Lo Storto Originale'. The originale means this was their first slant (with the big handle).
I believe this handle has the same size of the grande handle, but it's twisted.

Mine has the same decreasing blade reveal, yet I always have comfortable and very nice shaves.

My FOCS arrived today so I would like to join the club. My first Fatip and first slant.
Congratulations and welcome! :clap:

1. I believe you shave with the handle straight so the head will not be perpendicular to the direction of the stroke, correct? Else it wouldn’t really be a slant, right?
That's correct. Shave like normal. Do not try to keep the head perpendicular to the direction of the stroke. This is a recipe for disaster!

Also, you might try a steep angle. It works very well with the FOCS.

2. I loaded an Astra SP blade the classic way: top cap face up on counter, dropped blade in, put baseplate on top, and screwed in handle. Each side looks like it has the same blade reveal. On a given side, the blade reveal decreases from left to right? Is this correct.
Yes, your blade-loading technique is the recommended way to set up the FOCS.

As for the blade reveal... Just by the nature of the twisted cap, the blade will always look like it's crooked. So, the key is to keep the blade edges lined up with the combs.

3. I noticed that the blade gap is miniscule. So this should be very mild, correct? But efficient?
Yes, the FOCS is mild, yet extremely efficient. Get ready for some great shaves! :thumbup1:

I tried a lot of Slants, including the Storto. At first I was not impressed, I got a better shave from a normal Fatip.
This morning I used it again after a long time in the drawer ( I bought one as soon as it came out in Italy). This time I did an experiment: first pass ATG (idea was just one ATG and done). That did not work, so I did the usual 2nd pass XTG. Result was a close and comfortable shave.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Gillette Platinum (Light blue / Europe)
Brush: Zenith pro boar with Kotibe handle
Pre shave: Razozero Agrumella
Face lather
Lather: 3P soap
Aftershave: Alum stone and 3P cream

No, the official name of your razor is 'Lo Storto Originale'. The originale means this was their first slant (with the big handle).
I believe this handle has the same size of the grande handle, but it's twisted.

Mine has the same decreasing blade reveal, yet I always have comfortable and very nice shaves.
Actually, I fiddled with the blade, and now the reveal looks even across the comb. Still haven’t shaved yet. A bit later this morning I will. I did notice that on one side only, the right side of the comb has a larger blade gap. Fiddling didn’t help, and both the blade and the cap have some play side to side. But from what I have read this is part of the character of Fatips. 😄

Although being an American of mostly Italian descent, I don’t speak any Italian. So the terminology is extra confusing. But in general for Fatip, doesn’t Originale refer to the head being open comb, Gentile for closed comb, Piccolo for the smaller solid handle, Grande for the larger hollow handle? I know they have other handles as well from looking at the Fatip website. The Lo Piccolo Storto has the same handle as the Piccolo only twisted, and the Lo Storto Originale has the same handle as the Grande only twisted. That’s what it looks like from the pics. It seems that the name of every razor has a word for the handle type and a word for the head type. In the case of the slant, Storto I believe means crooked in Italian. So going by their terminolgy, Lo Storto Originale would indicate crooked head open comb, with no word for the handle.

Anyway, I guess it really doesn’t matter what name they give it. 😄

Btw, I have a Gold Piccolo Gentile and a Gold Grande Originale on the way as well! Thinking of getting a Gold Storto Gentile so I have each head type.

Thanks

Congratulations and welcome! :clap:

That's correct. Shave like normal. Do not try to keep the head perpendicular to the direction of the stroke. This is a recipe for disaster!

Also, you might try a steep angle. It works very well with the FOCS.

Yes, your blade-loading technique is the recommended way to set up the FOCS.

As for the blade reveal... Just by the nature of the twisted cap, the blade will always look like it's crooked. So, the key is to keep the blade edges lined up with the combs.

Yes, the FOCS is mild, yet extremely efficient. Get ready for some great shaves! :thumbup1:
Thanks! Yes, I fiddled with it and aligned the blade with the comb. Looking forward to the shave in an hour or two!
😄

Summary: I am proud to be of Italian descent after using my "Chrome The Crooked Original Head ", aka "Chrome Lo Storto Testina Originale", from "Fatip Shaving Emotions".

A lot of firsts today:
first synthetic brush (24mm Maggards)
first open comb
first Fatip
first Slant

Other details, not the first time using:
------------------------------------------
Pre-shave: Noxzema knockoff from RiteAid/Daylogic (I apply, make my lather, then rinse off before applying lather)
Cream: Palmolive Classic
AS: P&G Old Spice

Classic 3 pass shave with touch-ups. Got BBS on face (I think my first ever), CCS on neck (close to DFS).

I used a steep angle throughout, as Demolition recommended - not what I normally do. I didn't notice anything different during the shave using a slant or OC as opposed to a regular closed comb DE while shaving, but the results were definitely different. In short, there was no learning curve.

I'm a happy camper right now.

Thanks for the help and advice!
:)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Happy Friday! :cool:
Fatip Friday
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Durham Duplex DuBarry Handle)
Blade: Bolzano (5 and retired)
Lather: Pré de Provence No.63
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210430_151957~2.jpg

Great Kit and, as always, The FOCS Rocks! :punk: :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Joris Palladium and Yew Wood Handle)
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
20210514_142445~2.jpg

The FOCS Rocks! 🦊 :punk:

Top Bottom