What's new

Do I need a Puma?

Not to hijack your thread, Thomas, but this got me curious:

I have. French Tigre (same as jaguar but 5/8) and it is a great blade. They were made by Peroux cognet which made first class razor, but never made it to medaille status.

I now have four straights, two Germans and two French blades, Le Grelot and Peroux Cognet, and the Perroux Cognet might be my favorite. Who determined what got Medaille status and what got relegated to just plain old First Class?

I have one, love it

Attachments

• $P1000472.jpg
    $P1000472.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 115
My guess, that's all just marketing. Solingen steel is Solingen steel.

I dont think that's 100% the case, just read through some other forums about blanks and forges vs grinds.. my reading, which admittedly is not based on perfect info/ data, is the puma special steel came from hernkenrath? forge and may have been the same steel for blanks on 14s.

Anyone else heard this?

I have had abiut 5 of them but havr only a 91 atm. Great razors, easy yo hone, it was the first brand of razor that I was able to hone successfully

Here's one I recently brought in from the wild and cleaned up. Not pristine, but an honest razor and fantastic shaver.

Attachments

• $Puma39-1.jpg
    $Puma39-1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 54
these have possibly the nicest 'audio' of the straights in my relatively meager collection.
perhaps sometime i can figure out how to attach a mic to the handle and record the sound!

I confess I wondered the same thing. It seems there must have been some contests back in the days. Le grelot won in 1931 or something like that. The other gold medals are vedel and fontenille.
apparently fontenille used to be silver only as that is what is on their older models and thiers issard never got gold.
i wish I knew someone old enough to explain all this to me.
I have seen similar claims on German razors but never on any known brands. Puma not being one of them.

Not to hijack your thread, Thomas, but this got me curious:

I now have four straights, two Germans and two French blades, Le Grelot and Peroux Cognet, and the Perroux Cognet might be my favorite. Who determined what got Medaille status and what got relegated to just plain old First Class?

Top Bottom