What's new

The "WEDGE" that's not a wedge?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Any information on this razor? I believe that itbmay have been made in the USA. It is of high carbon steel, ⅝ and American point.

This razor was PIFed to my by a very kind member. The only markings on the razor are "WEDGE" (with the quotation marks) on the face side of the shank.

IMG_20230803_080509.jpg

The grind is what I consider to be a near wedge as the rounded hollow grind on both sides of the blade goes evenly from spine to bevel shoulder.

IMG_20230803_080329.jpg

The scales are of plastic and of interesting construction without spacer or wedge pin. I believe that the scales are original.

IMG_20230803_080709.jpg

Here are the razor profiles:

IMG_20230803_080431.jpg

IMG_20230803_080402.jpg

I received this SR yesterday and last night re-pointed the toe (it was muted), polished up the blade and honed to my standard of shave-ready finishing on diamond pasted balsa. This morning was my first shave with this razor. Result was very close (too close?) finish but a couple of very small weepers.

This is the "wedgiest" razor that I have ever shaved with. I guess I will need to work on my technique in shaving with this razor.

Last edited:
Had a few, always equated them to be 'hardware store' or "Drug Store" razors. Kinda remind me of those marked "SPIKE"....
No idea who ground them. They used to be pretty common on Ebay...don't see them all that often any more.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I might call it quarter hollow; how does it compare to your MK 24?
My CVH MK 24 is more a ¼ hollow in my opinion as it has about 2mm of parallel surfaces in the cross-section starting at the bevel shoulder. This "WEDGE" has no parallel surfaces in the blade's cross-section.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Same blade as Union Spike. If it shaves great, I would bet it was made by Union Cutlery. Great design!
Thank you. It does shave very well, once I get use to shaving with a near wedge. I hope it is a Union Spike. That will then give me three different US made SRs.

Tomorrow morning I will be shaving with a new-to-me Gemco HEAVY manufactured in Geneva NY USA. That SR is in very good condition. It is also an American point with muted toe so I will need to repoint the toe and just touch up the edge on diamond pasted balsa.

I should add that I have seen the same "WEDGE" design with other company stamps. I suspect that Union Cutlery made these razors for other brands. These are great little shavers.

Top Bottom