What's new

Do I need a Puma?

My Puma is a superior shaver. Certainly one of the best!

While I'm not privy to the steel used in vintage Pumas, I believe it to be proprietary. Many of the best grinders of the past worked for Puma.

You'll never know until you try!

I have had a lot of razors through my hands and still have my one and only Puma. IMO it is as good as any and better than most.

The Pumas are nice to use and handsome items.
Thanks to the honemeisters' skills, mine are wickedly sharp.
The absolute best? Totally necessary? Maybe not.
But I can say same about most of the nice razors in the bin.

$arlington puma aug 14 2013_6573.jpg

$puma tobs 4711-5546small.jpg

$puma 90.jpg

How are the tiger and other cat brands related to puma ?
Different. Except for leopard which might be related, the other are definitely not.

I have. French Tigre (same as jaguar but 5/8) and it is a great blade. They were made by Peroux cognet which made first class razor, but never made it to medaille status.

i also have a German hyena and it is also one of my favorite. The puma feels different. Somehow there is something they managed to do righty, which is hard to admit as a French.
I recently got a leopard too but I have not honed it yet so I can not comment on it, yet.

I was provoked into using my #89 this morning. Thanks for the question, OP, I will be using it more often.

Great shave.

I recently read that the pumas likelyshared the same 'special' steel as some other well known razors. Wonder if there is truth to that.

I pulled a shorty version of a 91 and a 77 Puma Gold on the bay last week. The 91 needs shoes, but the 77 didn't disappoint. I have another 91 and its one of my favorites...

Beautiful.
This looks like an older one.
I have one that looks like that, with the Lauterjung& Sohn name of the tang that is branded as Sheffield steel, which I though was original for a Solingen Puma.

I have no cat in this fight, as it were, but this has become a most informative thread. From reading through it, I can conclusively surmise that Pumas are overrated, fantastic shavers that are lovely and overdone. It's all marketing hype, but we all need one, save for the fact that none of us does.

Have I got that right?

I have no cat in this fight, as it were, but this has become a most informative thread. From reading through it, I can conclusively surmise that Pumas are overrated, fantastic shavers that are lovely and overdone. It's all marketing hype, but we all need one, save for the fact that none of us does.

Have I got that right?

Perhaps. YMMV

Top Bottom