What's new

GIVEAWAY! PIF: Brent Berkeley 6/8" Straight Razor; New (not even used for one shave) in packaging.

Hi all. Paying It Forward in life with a GIVEAWAY as I prune my storage box of overbought supplies. (Marie Kondo: "Does it bring you joy?" 🤔) This is for a BRENT BERKELY, SIGNATURE STRAIGHT RAZOR. As you can see from the photos it measures (to my crooked ruler) approx 6/8" from edge to spine, and approx a full 3" from heel/shoulder to point/tip. You get the idea. I do not know where my scale is, but it is heftier than my Le Grelot, for sure. It is carbon steel and it could very likely give you an amazing shave, I just know I am never going to use it, because, for me, it is too heavy (even though some would say "then let the blade do the work, less pressure!".)

Ergo, as noted, here we have a straight razor that I bought late 2023. I didn't inspect it until a few weeks later, and I then noticed that I did not like the weight of the blade; YMMV. When I even asked the Brent Berkeley company about it, they emailed "This is the weight of the materials... It's a big blade with a wooden handle to create a good balance." I suppose I don't like it because I tend to have either DE shavers or Thiers-Issard Le Grelot or a vintage Puma (and some others) that are SO much lighter.

Brent Berkeley is not an everyday name, but they are located in the Netherlands (to be exact: 3e Binnenvestgracht 23A 2312NR, Leiden) though the razor is "Designed in Italy" but I believe it is manufactured in the Netherlands according to their website: Brent Berkeley® Gentlemen's Shaveware - https://brentberkeley.com/. On their website, the current price (now with a rich mahogany scales) is €60 (approx $65), so it's not on the high-end of straight razors (or maybe it is and they merely keep the cost very low). These scales are dark wood (not plastic); looks like mahogany dyed near-black. (This color wood is NOT available on their site anymore.) Actually, not to cast rumors, I showed this to someone who commented that he thought the 'look' of the tang indicated some parts of it might have come from China. Pure speculation, and not what their website suggests, yet I like to be thorough as these PIFs are unidirectional (TO you only).​

In any event, too late to return the razor in case you are curious, and IDK if this would fetch much on eBay (see above pricing, so not worththe hassle. I am sure there is someone on here who would enjoy a "heavier" blade. And yes, free worldwide shipping via USPS Priority Mail; want to ensure everyone has a chance. In fact, this came to me from Europe in the first place!)​
BTW, it IS pretty dang sharp. I did the ole' hair-on-arm test and whew!! Can definitely cut an artery.​

The deadline for entries for this GIVEAWAY (postings within thread; please follow format) will be Jan 21, 8:59p EDT (plenty of time for me to prune even more!! Marie Kondo, hello? 🙄). (I usually end my GIVEAWAYs on Sundays, so this is a week+ from this posting date.)

👉🏼 NOTE: If you are part of the 2024 MacGyver challenge, please do not enter unless you are willing to be out of the challenge if you win.

Photos below, though no need to repost them (keeps thread posts tidier) but please post your @Name adding your name (and then the next blank number below) the following, which will make it easy for me to ultimately do a random.org # 'drawing'.

👉🏼 As always, the only thing I ask is that after you've used this for a few shaves, please post a short review within this thread as to how it shaves, potential comparisons, and so on.

___________<begin copy and paste here>________

Brent Berkeley Signature Straight Razor, 6/8" by @phdezra

___________<end copy and paste here>________

Actual photos (and eye candy if you consider razors eye candy 😁!). Good luck.

IMG_2291.jpeg
IMG_2292.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg
IMG_2294.jpeg
IMG_2295.jpeg
IMG_2296.jpeg

IMG_2297.jpeg
IMG_2298.jpeg

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Brent Berkeley is not an everyday name, but they are located in the Netherlands (to be exact: 3e Binnenvestgracht 23A 2312NR, Leiden) though the razor is "Designed in Italy" but I believe it is manufactured in the Netherlands according to their website
Just checked the website, which states “From The Netherlands, Designed in Italy”. This does not mean they are manufactured in the Netherlands.

Secondly, I am not sure how much you know about the Netherlands, but I can guarantee you that razor is not made in the Netherlands. At that price, a maker would be starving after a month in the business (assuming it would have funds to survive the first month). Cost of living is high and so are the taxes.

Most likely that straight razor is made in Pakistan, China or other country with extremely cheap labor. In such case, the manufacturing cost would be a lot lower, so then the seller (from the Netherlands) could have a 10-15 EUR profit per razor. No way it could reach that profit if it was manufactured in the Netherlands.

Something else, if it would be made in the Netherlands, why would it have to be designed in Italy? That’s not the Dutch business oriented mindset.

The reviews seem to be fake.

The address where the business is registered seems to be used for many businesses, such as internet marketing (oh, the irony), photography, architecture, graphic design, live event online coverage, online community management, social media, translation, Web design, Web monitoring & analytics and few others. Is anyone else noticing a pattern here? Anyway, it doesn’t seem logical to grind razors in that space with al these other businesses. You know, it is messy and usually it does not go well with clean finger types. Oh, and by the way, the building where all these businesses are registered is a small house.

I could dig and find out more, but I don’t think that would be necessary.

Last edited:
Just checked the website, which states “From The Netherlands, Designed in Italy”. This does not mean they are manufactured in the Netherlands.

Secondly, I am not sure how much you know about the Netherlands, but I can guarantee you that razor is not made in the Netherlands. At that price, a maker would be starving after a month in the business (assuming it would have funds to survive the first month). Cost of living is high and so are the taxes.

Most likely that straight razor is made in Pakistan, China or other country with extremely cheap labor. In such case, the manufacturing cost would be a lot lower, so then the seller (from the Netherlands) could have a 10-15 EUR profit per razor. No way it could reach that profit if it was manufactured in the Netherlands.

Something else, if it would be made in the Netherlands, why would it have to be designed in Italy? That’s not the Dutch business oriented mindset.

The reviews seem to be fake.

The address where the business is registered seems to be used for many businesses, such as internet marketing (oh, the irony), photography, architecture, graphic design, live event online coverage, online community management, social media, translation, Web design, Web monitoring & analytics and few others. Is anyone else noticing a pattern here? Anyway, it doesn’t seem logical to grind razors in that space with al these other businesses. You know, it is messy and usually it does not go well with clean finger types. Oh, and by the way, the building where all these businesses are registered is a small house.

I could dig and find out more, but I don’t think that would be necessary.
All makes sense!

Still could be a good razor. 🧐 Whoever wins it will need to tell us. 🤞🏼

Also confirms what an eagle eyed person told me, as noted in my OP, that the “tang looks Chinese”.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Very generous PIF! Respectfully not in. On a side note it seems a tad odd to call out a member for giving away something particularly when the PIFer seems to acknowledge a lack of completely understanding the origin of the razor. Good luck to those that sign up!

Very generous PIF! Respectfully not in. On a side note it seems a tad odd to call out a member for giving away something particularly when the PIFer seems to acknowledge a lack of completely understanding the origin of the razor. Good luck to those that sign up!
Not sure I understand this comment. Or maybe I do, but um, hmm. Onwards.

Top Bottom