What's new

🐗 Decemboar. Yup. It’s a thing! 🐗

A comment and a question please kind Sir.
1. I absolutely LOVE that little shelf in the top picture! Very nice.

2. What is and where'd it come from? (The blood pressure squeezer on the Proraso bottle. A spritzer?) Thanks, Dave

Thank you, sir. The shelf is simple laminated MDF, nothing fancy really.

The “blood pressure squeezer” is an atomizer, you can buy it from many shaving sellers. They work both in Floid and Proraso 400ml bottles, and for me they Take the barbershop experience up a notch! Italian Barber sells it cheaply for $9 in the US/Canada

Last edited:
I have this arbitrary $100 limit in place when it comes to brushes. I'm sure Simpsons higher end models are amazing, but those Best brushes are no slouches either...

I used my Semogue 1800 for a LONG time, one of the nicest boar knots in existence as far as I'm concerned. If I wasn't so dang picky I could use that as my one and only. Enjoy!

Until the pandemic started, I was using Simpsons exclusively. I own 8-9 of them and have sold another half a dozen. My favorites are: Classic 1 in Best, Chubby 1 in Super and Chubby 2 in Best. At a second tier, I would include the Chubby 1 Manchurian, Chubby 2 Super and the Eagle G2 in Pure.

But since I gave boars a real chance after 6 years, I have to say that one does not need to spend that much to have fantastic shaves. If I could recover a good part of my investments on the Simpsons, I would keep both the Chubby 2s, the Classic and the Chubby 1 in Super. Rest would be gone. The Manchurian is a different experience, but the knot has almost no splay, so it feels small on the face and a little difficult to scrub, but it is a great hair for face lathering and the flow through is the best among my Simpsons. I probably should have chosen the Chubby 2, but for me the Chubby 1 has always been the more usable sibling among Chubbies. BUT (and that's a big BUT) it costs >$300, which is extremely hard to justify and I find the Chubby 1 Super and Chubby 2 Best way superior

Last edited:
Decemboar #06. A fantastic blue shave with Proraso and Floid blue

I don't shave on Mondays to give my face some rest. I will be back on Tuesday

IMG-3557.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've only used hard soaps with boar. How do you load a cream onto boar?

1. Soak the brush.
2. Scoop the appropriate amount of cream and press into the bottom of the Captain's Choice Copper bowl.

If bowl lathering:
3. Let the excess water drain from the brush.
4. Swirl the wet brush around until I have a beautiful lather. Add drops of water as needed.

***or***

If face lathering:
3. Shake the excess water from the brush.
4. Load the brush from the cream pressed into the bottom of the Captain's Choice bowl.

I use this method with soaps, croaps - with great success. 😎

Hope this help. :)

1. Soak the brush.
2. Scoop the appropriate amount of cream and press into the bottom of the Captain's Choice Copper bowl.

If bowl lathering:
3. Let the excess water drain from the brush.
4. Swirl the wet brush around until I have a beautiful lather. Add drops of water as needed.

***or***

If face lathering:
3. Shake the excess water from the brush.
4. Load the brush from the cream pressed into the bottom of the Captain's Choice bowl.

Hope this help. :)
Yeah thanks. I can imagine that you can't load a boar in a tub of cream like you can a tub of triple milled, but I was wondering if you applied cream straight to the face. thanks again!

Yeah thanks. I can imagine that you can't load a boar in a tub of cream like you can a tub of triple milled, but I was wondering if you applied cream straight to the face. thanks again!
I take a dab of cream and apply it directly to my face. I then use painting strokes with a damp brush to spread the cream evenly before building lather with circular strokes. I dip the tips of the brush in water as needed while building the lather.

I've also seen some people add the cream directly to the brush before painting or swirling on the face to build lather.

If using a bowl, I follow the directions pretty much exactly as @never-stop-learning described above.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom