What's new

Cheap Watches

I guess I’ve got one as cheap/inexpensive as it can get. I bought a vintage Seiko 5 off of The Bay, all the way from Mumbai— a “Bombay Special”. I think I spent $13 for the watch including shipping, then about $50 for servicing, and $30 for a nice band. It badly needed servicing, as it was gaining about 10 minutes a day. After servicing it now keeps absolutely perfect time and it looks great—great custom face repainting! Here’s a photo of it for the conversation..

Really nice watch! Great deal
I think seikos movements are really underated just because the make so many.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Seiko automatics for me. I have heen wearing a SKX007 for 7 years. Changed out the hardlux chrystal for saphire. Keeps geat time gains about 1-1/2 min week.
Just bought a Seiko SARY057 for off work. I really like it. Day and date complications. Classic look to me.
I can afford a Rolex but dont see the point for me. However to each their own.
Broke out my 007 today! Love the blue Saturday.

108FE9D7-442F-4E4C-8D19-A520B1908B86.jpeg

Yes sir! Blue saturday it is.

Cheap Mickey Mouse watch my wife gave me gets worn on Monday. Wednesday is an 80s Timex thinking Winnie the Pooh. The other days are a blue Seiko 5. I’m currently on the look out for a NOS Timex Tigger watch for Tuesday’s. They make me smile and that is what I want.

I'm a Seiko guy too. For many years I struggled to find a cheap-to-midpriced watch that kept good time and was sturdy enough so that it won't get destroyed during daily wear. I have a full drawer of watches I've broken through daily wear. Usually the crystal through close encounters with various walls and other hard objects. Sometimes bent the case too. For several years I stopped wearing watches. Then a friend had me look into Seikos and now I own a few. Haven't been able to destroy any of them yet in about 3-4 years. My favorite is the black BFK, followed by a Pepsi 007. What I particularly like about the BFK is the power reserve. I don't have to worry about wearing it every day or even every week, it keeps just ticking away. It's also quite precise, max 1-2 seconds gained per month. And no scratches so far. I thought abour sapphire for crystal but the stock ons seems sturdy enough for me. Plus I can wear it while casually snorkeling (like I plan to do next week in the Caribbean :)).

I have about 40 watches ranging from about $30 to $3000. I have found that I wear the cheaper watches mostly as I don’t want to scratch up the nicer ones. I have a couple Wengers that i bought for around $30 from TJ Maxx that I wear often because they look good and the rubbe strap they come with is very comfortable.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
These three have been my workhorses for a few years now.

20211010_061315.jpgIMG_20211010_060852.jpgIMG_20211010_061001.jpg

Two were bought for less than £40, and the G-shock I traded multitools/pocket knives for. The two Casios get worn the most, as I have discovered that with a coutdown timer, I'm far less likely to lose track of how long my dinner has been in the oven, than with a chronograph.

The only time I spent three figures on a watch, was on my dress watch, which hardly ever gets worn, and is in need of a service.

IMG_20211010_062155.jpgIMG_20211010_062243.jpg

Apologies for shoddy pics.

I love an inexpensive watch that works. I cannot abide a cheap watch that does not, at any price or level.

Casio as brand, does this better than anyone I think. 100ish USD for a 3 watch array that is everything you need and nothing you do not.

Dress/White face on a black leather strap-37USD

Dive/Black face on a rubber strap-49USD

Beater/Black cased digital-F91-14USD

ADD 2 AUTOMATICS AND YOU ARE AT 500USD

First Dress Automatic 150USD/ Sapphire to boot

First Tool Automatic/Orient Kamasu in blue. Sapphire as well. 202USD

ADD A SWISS AUTO FROM HAMILTON AND YOU ARE UNDER 1000USD.

First Swiss/Iconic brand-Hamilton in a bracelet/automatic/Saphhire @500USD

I could go on and on. One does not likely "need" anything more than the Casio array.

Time at a glance is what I like. :biggrin:

Here's BOTH of my watches, both of which cost less than £20 (but the straps considerably more):

Limit-5608.37_2021-03-28.jpg

MN-front_2021-03-12.jpg

Both gain exactly one second a week.

Maintenance is high though... as I have to replace the batteries every two to three years at a phenomenal 37p each time. :eek6:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a variety of watches at various price points. The variety is nice for different situations and to keep me interested. One "different situation" is when an expensive watch would be out of place (like when working at the local food bank) or in a high risk area at night or when doing some rough activity. So I love my Timex, Casio, and inexpensive Seiko watches. I'm also not ashamed to say that I own more than one Invicta and more than one Pagani. I just like 'em, so there.

Good post. Makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I just don't have the scenarios where I need, or can justify, "more watch". No executive meetings, or exclusive clubs and restaurants. Frankly, never spending any time with anyone who would notice anyway. :lol: I have nothing against those high end watches, or people enjoying them, I'm just the wrong person for them.

On the VERY rare occasion that a £30 watch would feel a bit tacky (in my own mind), the pocket watch comes out to play. That wasn't particularly spendy either, but feels "special" enough, without me having expensive gear around, that I don't feel I'm getting value from, due to never using it. I personally get more pleasure from "everyday" stuff, that I can use hard, wear out in a few years, and them enjoy buying a new one and wearing that out too. A mindset that goes well beyond watches.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Time at a glance is what I like. :biggrin:

Here's BOTH of my watches, both of which cost less than £20 (but the straps considerably more):

View attachment 1347532

View attachment 1347533

Both gain exactly one second a week.

Maintenance is high though... as I have to replace the batteries every two to three years at a phenomenal 37p each time. :eek6:

I've owned many such watches, Cal. Fabric straps don't work well for me though.leather, resin, or stainless bracelets for me. I also (particularly since getting ill) enjoy having some form of timer, particularly for cooking, but it comes in handy at other times too, which is why I now have a couple of hybrid analogue/digital Casios, and a chronograph (soon to be two).

I have just ordered myself a new "Time at a glance" watch though. They are still my favourite looking watches, and it seems that the cheaper watches usually have the clearest faces. When I had plenty of disposable income, I still bought cheap, because it seemed like the more I spent, the more clutter there was on the face, and the harder they were to read.

Fabric straps don't work well for me though.
THIS particular fabric is the best IMO. Also, it's the most comfortable strap I've ever worn.

They can be a PITA to adjust properly, but once you've "got it" that's it. No more adjusting required, ever. And virtually NO SLIPPAGE.

Naturally there are plenty of copies out there; all of them with inferior fabric (and sizing).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
THIS particular fabric is the best IMO. Also, it's the most comfortable strap I've ever worn.

They can be a PITA to adjust properly, but once you've "got it" that's it. No more adjusting required, ever. And virtually NO SLIPPAGE.

Naturally there are plenty of copies out there; all of them with inferior fabric (and sizing).

I don't tend to get slippage with leather and resin straps to be honest. Bracelet watches I do, but I still like them for occasional use. They can annoy me a bit too much for frequent use though.

I do seem to gunk up a watch strap pretty quick though, and I would be forever having to remove and clean a fabric one. Also, I do prefer a watch strap to "let go" if I snag it. After many years in factories, boat engine rooms, outdoor pursuits, and stagecraft, I'm conditioned to rather have a watch ripped off, than part of my anatomy :yikes:

Here is my cheap watch line up, L to R:
>30 lap Timex Ironman, about $30 14 years ago, recently salvaged half a strap to keep it going as my rough manual labor watch.
>brightly colored 30 lap Timex Ironman, just got it for $40, for everyday wear.
>Casio Altimeter/Barometer watch, about $40, for skiing and mountain hikes. True geek.
>Casio nerd-igator chronograph, about $50. B&B pointed me to this sporty dress watch. Kill time by playing with the tachymeter.
>Casio Edifice with unreadable day, date, and 24 hour time dials. My dressiest watch. I wore it when I had to put on a suit and talk to top management. Set me back $30 on sale plus a coupon. Very likable watch.

D8926AF3-6BDB-4CF9-B0C4-278E4E60ED04.jpeg

Top Bottom