What's new

Arko is Great! (Review/Hack)

Hey fellas! Well I've been wet shaving for a while and have tried several soaps over the years and I think Arko is a great soap all around. It lathers easily and has pretty good slickness/protection. It's also so darn affordable. I'll list below some ratings for what to look for in a soap and a possible hack for some of its shortcomings.

Lather/Volume- 10/10

This soap lathers quick and easily. Nothing I've tried even compares.

Slickness- 7-8/10

This soap is very sick especially if you get the water to soap ratio just right.

Scent- 6/10

This is probably the most divisive part of this soap. Many don't like the smell and won't use it just for that reason. I can't judge but the lemony scent of it is strong but after a while the scent will diminish quite quickly. I like that I didn't really tire of the scent because if it's generic lemon scent. Unlike cella which is my second favorite soap I liked it at first including the scent but I do tire of the smell. As a cologne guy I tire of alot of scents quickly and Arko is neutral enough for me not to be bothered by it.

Price- 10/10

Great price and pretty much one of the most affordable soaps out there. I got a 12 pack for 18 bucks from Amazon so $1.50 per 90g stick. This will last me probably several years at such a low price . You can probably find even better deals out there.
20240202_123509.jpg

Post Shave feel- 6/10

It's not the most hydrating soap. It does wash off easily as compared to other soaps but it can be a bit drying but is easily remidied by applying some lotion/post shave balm. Also wanted to note that Arko does not have lanolin which can be a source of possible allergic reactions. I think I do get a reaction to this because after switching to brands without this ingredient I see my skin being less irritated. Brands like Cella and Tabac don't have this if you are interested(great soaps btw).

HACK TIME!

Well overall I love this soap. But two things that I feel can be improved is it's post shave dryness. I decided to mix Arko with some coconut oil. I grated a 1 90g stick with 1/2 table spoon of melted coconut oil. And dang it made it soooo much slicker and very hydrating on my skin after the shave. This brings this 9/10 soap to a 10/10.

What you need!

Honestly just the coconut oil. I used a regular coconut oil I had laying around the house. This one has a bit of the coconut scent but you could get "fractionated" coconut oil that is more processed that almost has no scent at all.

Step 1

Grate your soap or finely slice with a knife the Arko stick into a bowl.

20240208_095433.jpg

Step 2

Add 3-4 tablespoons of water into the bowl. Put it in the microwave for a minute. After taking it out add the 1/2 of liquid coconut oil and mix it all together. Don't add any more in my other attempts I put more oil and it affected its lather ability quite significantly. Also don't make this in huge batches. I would stick to 1 Arko stick because you are using coconut oil which is a food product it can eventually spoil. Best to make it in small batches.
20240208_100306.jpg

Step 3

Take the product and spread it thinly across either a flat plate(disposable if handy). I personally used a clean cutting board I had around. Make some cross hatches so allow the product to dry. I would leave it to dry for a day or two. If you really dont like the scent of Arko this is the best opportunity to get rid of the smell. Leave it out for several days until you don't detect a smell.
20240208_110341.jpg

Step 4

Whelp this is the last step. Find a container and pack it in and you are all done! You could at this point add a scent you enjoy such as a cologne. I would be careful because it could give you a bad reaction on your face. Safest bet would be to add 2-4 splashes of an after shave splash that you know agrees with your skin. All done and I hope you guys have great shaves and please let me know if this hack worked out for you. God bless!

20240208_154341.jpg

I doubt I will do this, but appreciate knowing about the hack. I am in the camp of loving the lather, but finding that the lather is not worth the post-shave dryness. My Arko hack: Use it to tame the smell of a new horsehair brush.

I doubt I will do this, but appreciate knowing about the hack. I am in the camp of loving the lather, but finding that the lather is not worth the post-shave dryness. My Arko hack: Use it to tame the smell of a new horsehair brush.
No problem. It does make the lather much slicker though.

For the price it's just an outstanding shave soap. I love it because it's a solid performer and it's CHEAP. And it's a good scent. Sorry. It smells like soap for crying out loud. Lemony, fresh soap. Not a high end scent by any means. Get over it for crying out loud. LOL!

Thanks for the coconut oil hack. I may have to try it.

For the price it's just an outstanding shave soap. I love it because it's a solid performer and it's CHEAP. And it's a good scent. Sorry. It smells like soap for crying out loud. Lemony, fresh soap. Not a high end scent by any means. Get over it for crying out loud. LOL!

Thanks for the coconut oil hack. I may have to try it.
Foreal it smells just fine.

Very nice! I'm fine with Arko as is (I smush it down into a mug), and it's a great soap indeed. Great lather, easy to whip up, pleasant smell, cheap - what's not to love?
Seriously it is an awesome soap and if I would have given it a try sooner I could have saved myself a few buckaroos. I honestly don't think I'll buy any other soap. The method I made gives me the opportunity to make Arko smell like whatever I want. Which for me at this point would be the only reason to try anything else. I have several colognes that I can make my Arko smell as I desire. I like the smell either way. It literally just smells like lemon soap.

I dont think microwave is safe for arko cus its a tallow based soap but idk. If that makes it better do it but I wouldnt bother. I live in Turkey and using arko since I started shaving, the scent is just regular soap. When I think of soap this is it. I dont love the scent and I really dont care about it, one of the best performaning soap and the price is dirt cheap here I can get one for a dollar.

Dalan and Arko green were staples for me when I started shaving
Loved both and still keep a tube of Arko green for the memories

I dont think microwave is safe for arko cus its a tallow based soap but idk. If that makes it better do it but I wouldnt bother. I live in Turkey and using arko since I started shaving, the scent is just regular soap. When I think of soap this is it. I dont love the scent and I really dont care about it, one of the best performaning soap and the price is dirt cheap here I can get one for a dollar.
@Jhona1971 , siluette is right regarding the microwaving. I'm surprised a full minute in the microwave didn't destroy this tallow based soap, especially if you set it on high. I've microwaved a similar amount of melt and pour Van Der Hagen and 15 -20 seconds fully liquefies it.

Regarding the addition of Coconut oil. I'm glad it works for you. Any oil added will have some effect on latherability as you noticed when too much was added. Most added oils in soaps are added prior to the saponification process to avoid this.

I’m pretty sure

But I just want to confirm this.

Is Arko the most popular shaving soap/cream brand in Turkey?

I’m pretty sure

But I just want to confirm this.

Is Arko the most popular shaving soap/cream brand in Turkey?
This is how every barbershop smells in Turkey, if you want a straight razor shave in a barbershop this is what youre getting. Among regular shavers it is seen as a nostalgic thing and wetshaving hobby in general is very rare here, some hobbyists here just stick with cheap soaps like tabac and arko cus you cant easily find artisan soaps here and you cant order from other countries cus Turkish customs doesnt allow cosmetics.

So i can say that among hobbyists its not, most hobbyists would prefer an SV or Stirling soap etc. but in general its most popular soap cus everybody will know the scent and the name.

Last edited:
This is how every barbershop smells in Turkey, if you want a straight razor shave in a barbershop this is what youre getting. Among regular shavers it is seen as a nostalgic thing and wetshaving hobby in general is very rare here, some hobbyists here just stick with cheap soaps like tabac and arko cus you cant easily find artisan soaps here and you cant order from other countries cus Turkish customs doesnt allow cosmetics.

So i can say that among hobbyists its not, most hobbyists would prefer an SV or Stirling soap etc. but in general its most popular soap cus everybody will know the scent and the name.
for all that money saved on cheap soaps...you can probably afford those awesome Turkish dates...I'm talking fruit not women.

Top Bottom