What's new

RM Williams Chelsea boots

Been wanting a pair of boots or good shoes for a while. The brands recommended here AE, Alden etc, are way beyond what I can afford. Ordered a pair of Allen Edmonds on sale (a big luxury to say the least) 5-6 years ago, didnt fit right at all, luckily was able to return it with no issues to AE. Ordered an used NWT from ebay- same issue - ended up PIF here in the forum, set me 60 $.
I normally wear dress shoes everyday- or what I call dress shoes- Clarks and a pair of Ecco Helsinki's - expensive enough by my standards.
Looked around, read great reviews about RM Williams booths- the price $549 is absolutely not practical, or simply said impossible to justify or afford.
Have been hesitant to buy anything online (live in a small town- Walmart or Big 5 are the only options) without trying since my Allen Edmonds experiment. Finally found a Pair of Gardner Chelsea boots, fits my bill of what I would wear, got it on sale- at 249$- still a big stretch and luxury.
Have worn it 2 times, first try- does not have a regular full insole, seemed odd to wear, added a partial insole, seemed Ok to wear but one foot felt a bit tight.
Wanted a full insole- ordered a Keen insole- tried it today with it- the fit is pretty tight, after an hour or so- to avoid foot pain, removed it, have been wearing it without an added insole, feels different from what I am used too, but comfortable enough to walk around and stand.
The booth is probably narrower than regular brands- but wide enough for me. The leather is comfortable to wear- right of the box- a big plus.
I am glad it is working out so far, was petrified that it may not fit, would have been my last try at expensive shoes.
Would so far recommend this. Size wise the RM Willaims sizing finder on their website is off, luckily, I decided to go with my sneaker sizing 9.5 D- RM Williams 8.5 G. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 14

Legion

Staff member
Size wise the RM Willaims sizing finder on their website is off, luckily, I decided to go with my sneaker sizing 9.5 D- RM Williams 8.5 G. Thanks for reading.
RM are an Australian brand, so the sizing would be UK standard, which is different to US sizing. Did you allow for this?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had a pair several years ago, they are great boots that last a long time. The upper is made with one single piece of leather.
If they were more readily available here, I would buy and wear RM Williams virtually exclusively.

R M's [as one calls them here]

go to a 'clearing sale' [googel it thats what it is in AU] want to buy a lot? try ascertain who is bidding, that done, start at the boots

RM's? you going to pay for that lot number
next check the pants, RM's logo .... jeez you really gunna pay for that lot number !!
then edge up side on and check the shirt.... bumma, RM logo :crying:
WALK away, he gunna pay more than new price for a secondhand item

RM's can be worn and repaired and worn till they worn in and repaired yet again and worn more.
they be a 'status' symbol, like. and a bleedin good boot. all RM's stuff is good, pricy but real quality, like. :thumbup1:

R M Williams the man was a good man too, drove past his house near twice a week years ago :D

I was fitted for boots at the RM Williams store in New York - and ended up walking out with three pairs, as two of them were on clearance and were surprisingly inexpensive.

I’ve worn these boots all over the world - and I’ve put good mileage on them and I never really bonded with them and I don’t understand the loyal following they have. I picked up a pair of Mephisto Pasko Chelsea boots a few years ago, and I haven’t worn any of the RM Williams since.

Legion

Staff member
I was fitted for boots at the RM Williams store in New York - and ended up walking out with three pairs, as two of them were on clearance and were surprisingly inexpensive.

I’ve worn these boots all over the world - and I’ve put good mileage on them and I never really bonded with them and I don’t understand the loyal following they have. I picked up a pair of Mephisto Pasko Chelsea boots a few years ago, and I haven’t worn any of the RM Williams since.
I've been the where they are made, and "surprisingly inexpensive" is never a term that came to mind.

Here, RM's are for the guy that owns the ranch. The guys who herd the cattle, not so much. Sadly, I fall into the second group.

The exception is guys who do rodeo. They will spend a silly amount on clothes. :lol:

Another option is Blundstone boots from Tasmania. Substantially cheaper $AUD260 compared to $AUD650.

The dress boot is excellent and looks nearly identical to the RMW. They are also a touch wider than the RMW. I wear them to work.

I have the round toe boot for outdoor stuff.

Legion

Staff member
Another option is Blundstone boots from Tasmania. Substantially cheaper $AUD260 compared to $AUD650.

The dress boot is excellent and looks nearly identical to the RMW. They are also a touch wider than the RMW. I wear them to work.

I have the round toe boot for outdoor stuff.
A popular brand in Australia is Redback, though my experience has been poor, and I would not recommend. Had a couple of pairs fail in the sole.

Not sure if they are available overseas, but I’ve had good experience with mongrel boots, and my current pair, Blue Steel boots. Both are Aussie made, and lasted ages for me.

But they are legit work boots, where as RM’s are more country fashion, IMO.

Blundstones aren't made in Tassie anymore, though my everyday boots are some old military surplus blunnie lace up work boots.
Redbacks are comfortable and sturdy as work boots but the soles look ugly as sin as they are a massive wedges of TPU foam.
Mongrel make elastic sided work boots, one that looks very much like a Blundstone and some dressier riding boots (Still TPU soled)
I've got my eye on the mongrel riding boot as a dressier elastic sided boot to replace a pair of Rossi's I've barely worn.
The Rossi's don't have a arch shank and the soles have almost no support (They *were* sold as dress shoe, not riding shoes)
The mongrels have a proper rigid shank.

I've been the where they are made, and "surprisingly inexpensive" is never a term that came to mind.

Here, RM's are for the guy that owns the ranch. The guys who herd the cattle, not so much. Sadly, I fall into the second group.

The exception is guys who do rodeo. They will spend a silly amount on clothes. :lol:

Three pairs total after tax were under $500 USD. Granted, this was 2018, but I’d still consider that cheap, given one pair is $539 before tax right now.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I’ve been looking at RM Williams Chelsea boots for some time now. I know there has been some mention of Blundstones (which I have a pair of 550s) and Redback, which I do not own but I am familiar with.

Although they are all Chelsea boots, style-wise, the lines/silhouette of the RM Williams Craftsman boot are a bit more refined, with perhaps the Gardner or the Turnout boot by RMW being closer to the Blundstone/Redback workwear-type boot.

I will eventually get myself over to their NYC store to try on a few pair and see which version fits me best.

Top Bottom