What's new

thoughts on knockoff watches

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Go with your heart. For me I won't do knock-offs. I either save up or go without. It's a personal thing with me. It makes me feel fake or dishonest in some way. I'm sure many would disagree and that's fine.

My knock off I mean one that says Rolex but isn't, not one of the 101 homages to various Rolex that bear their own name and don't try to fool anyone into thinking they are a Rolex.

Go with your heart. For me I won't do knock-offs. I either save up or go without. It's a personal thing with me. It makes me feel fake or dishonest in some way. I'm sure many would disagree and that's fine.

My knock off I mean one that says Rolex but isn't, not one of the 101 homages to various Rolex that bear their own name and don't try to fool anyone into thinking they are a Rolex.

Good advice. I am saving for a Rolex. Will be several years until the funds are sufficient. Glad to have the patience and work for the goal.

Story time. My rich cousin, a engineer who ended up a millionaire, bought a fake Rolex from a street vendor in Jamaica for $5. He wore it for years and was amused at the rubes who were impressed by his fake watch. Then the battery died. He took it to a watch repairman and the guy said, "I can't work on that. That's a Rolex!" My cousin said, "No, it's not a Rolex, it's a FAKE Rolex." Guy said, "Doesn't matter. It needs special tools that only authorized Rolex dealers have." A few months later he was in Atlanta and went to the authorized Rolex dealer there. The snooty manager only glanced at the watch and said, "Get lost, bozo. That's not a Rolex, it's a fake." My cousin walked over to the repairman, peeled off a couple of Benjamins and got his battery. He still thinks it's a hoot that people are impressed by his watch.

It comes in 3 colors, even Green!

C$ 184.48 12%OFF | 2023 Automatic Watch for Men NH35 Movement Sapphire Crystal OEM Dial C3 BGW9 Luminous Glide Buckle Waterproof Fashionable Watch

1679970028281.png

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It comes in 3 colors, even Green!

C$ 184.48 12%OFF | 2023 Automatic Watch for Men NH35 Movement Sapphire Crystal OEM Dial C3 BGW9 Luminous Glide Buckle Waterproof Fashionable Watch

View attachment 1628217
Good gravy, that's the credit I give the "substitutes".

My BIL got me a Movado Museum from Me Hi Co. Eventually, it went in the garbage. The very same garbage he managed to not take out once during the 6 months he lived with me and my wife for free. Don't get me started.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Story time. My rich cousin, a engineer who ended up a millionaire, bought a fake Rolex from a street vendor in Jamaica for $5. He wore it for years and was amused at the rubes who were impressed by his fake watch. Then the battery died. He took it to a watch repairman and the guy said, "I can't work on that. That's a Rolex!" My cousin said, "No, it's not a Rolex, it's a FAKE Rolex." Guy said, "Doesn't matter. It needs special tools that only authorized Rolex dealers have." A few months later he was in Atlanta and went to the authorized Rolex dealer there. The snooty manager only glanced at the watch and said, "Get lost, bozo. That's not a Rolex, it's a fake." My cousin walked over to the repairman, peeled off a couple of Benjamins and got his battery. He still thinks it's a hoot that people are impressed by his watch.
I find it funny that people are fooled. Non watch people I guess. "it has 12 numbers, tells time and says Rolex, therefore, it's a Rolex".

Usually the build quality of knock-offs if horrid. "my gold is peeling" LOL.

In my younger and more foolish days, I bought a knockoff Rolex Daytona while vacationing in Thailand. The watch broke (one of the hands fell off) within a couple months. It didn't cost much, but in retrospect, it was a waste of money.

Later, I discovered Seiko and Orient automatic watches. I bought a number of them and am much happier with them than I had ever been with the knockoff Rolex.

FWIW, few people will ever notice the watch on your wrist. Of those who do, most will likely be happy wearing fashion watches. Of course, it's possible you might run into some watch aficionados in the wild, but by and large, in today's world, they're few and far between. What all this boils down to is that you're really buying a watch for you. Don't buy a watch to impress others; buy one that speaks to you. If it's the IWC, save up for it.

That said, do take a look at some of the other offerings by Seiko and Orient. In addition to the Prospex Alpinist, you may want to take a look at the green Presage Cocktail Time watches and the SARX071. While you may not be as immediately attracted to them in pictures, your opinion may change once you hold one in your hand.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Gratuitous beating of equine carcass follows... For me: homage of classic design - sure, that's fine; homage of very unique design - meh, kinda tasteless; Chinese copycap - not for me (although I almost want that "Relax" branded Sub - that's some funny stuff there); straight up fake - no way. I think it's okay to have that unobtainable "grail watch", if you'll pardon an overused term. If you want to take a stab at saving up or whatever, hey that's good motivation to work hard and achieve financial success, yadda yadda. In the meantime, by all means find a watch with a similar esthetic and more attainable price point. Certainly Seiko and Orient make great watches with dazzling green dials. Hamilton and Tissot are other great brands with interesting models and tons of value. Don't sleep on Citizen/Bulova for those pilot-y style watch either. You could get the knockoff and maybe its like dirty underwear - no one will notice except you. I mean, you do you. But that wouldn't work for me. Just my $0.02.

Additional thought occurred to me. I don't know much about IWC or that specific model, however... sometimes these luxury watch brands will release models with quartz movements that are substantially cheaper than the automatic movements, especially on the used market. That's sometimes a way to grab a high end watch model you like for a more attainable price.

Last edited:
Well it brings up a point, namely: who are you fooling? Whom are you impressing?

Someone so unsophisticated in watches (and your personal finances) to fall for the ruse? Are you sure such a person is actually going to care? I assume you're not going to fool yourself. How does running around with a fake watch make you feel about yourself?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well many years ago Pre 1997 Hal I knew was going to Hong Kong.

I armed her with $30.00, and photo of Rolex. She was instructed to find, and buy me Rolex Copy.

I went to Hong Kong back in pre-covid days. Walking down Nathan Road, the hucksters and touts (annoyingly vocal street vendors) would call out "copy watch! copy watch!" You could also buy a copy-suit if you wanted. No doubt copy-bags too. Absolutely no pretense that you were buying "the real thing".

One day it stops, so I got to small watch shop in Sacramento.

Owner was Japanese watch maker. I ask can you fix this watch.

He replies it’s Rolex Counterfit. I say yes I know.

In my younger and more foolish days, I bought a knockoff Rolex Daytona while vacationing in Thailand. The watch broke (one of the hands fell off) within a couple months. It didn't cost much, but in retrospect, it was a waste of money.

Knowingly buying a copy-watch isn't "wrong" ... but it is a total crap shoot. Maybe you get a decent quartz that will work for years ... maybe it stops working the next day.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A copy of a branded watch is a counterfeit.
Counterfeiting is theft.
Counterfeiting is illegal.
Counterfeiting is immoral.
People who buy branded copies are encouraging a business model that steals from legitimate brands.
Because it's a "good deal" doesn't make it any less illegal or immoral.

If it is a replica that has been licensed by the brandname holder, that's a different matter.
Some posts here brush dangerously close to suggesting illegal activity.

From our Terms of Use:

discussions of illegal or illicit activity, ... is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I agree with those who say $1000 is a lot to pay for a replica watch. Too many good brands out there that will give you a solid piece of gear for that price.
Having said that, the only question really is when you look at your wrist, are you going to be satisfied that you paid that amount for that watch.
I own a very nice Panerai replica. Everything about it is spot on. it's a really nice watch. I enjoy wearing it here and there now and again. It was about $150 and I have no regrets.

My daily driver now is an Apple watch so none of my collection gets much use.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
never knew Rolex using batteries....until I got one for my wife and her friend asked her how much the cost is for a battery change...had to tell her they don't use batteries, but get wound when you move your hand, she had no clue what an automatic watch was :c16:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
If you do not have the funds for the watch you would like to have....get a cheaper one, but a pretty good watch like an Orient for some $200 and save your $$ until you can afford what you like.

Top Bottom