What's new

Cheap Watches

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ain't that the truth. That's why I bought the Marathon. Good enough for the US Government, good enough for me. The whole watch industry is just too confusing.

A friend of mine always wears a watch. He always buys a cheap Casio and replaces it about every 10 years. He's done the same hunting, camping and fishing trips I have over the last 30 years and has gone through 3 watches. His newest he bought last year.

Would I buy a Tag again? Not likely, but I also wont need too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ohh yeah, brother. That thing rocks!
proxy.php

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Do you know when this went into effect as far as Swatch Group not selling to Third parties? Marathon uses ETA movements, but looking on their website they have everything on sale. Drastic cuts in prices.

Ball Watch's website isn't even showing what movements are in their watches anymore.

ArmourLite isn't even offering the ETA Automatics anymore. Just the Chinese movements.

Luminox now just says "Swiss Made" movement, but I can't see what movement they speak of on most of their automatics. However, some of them they are using Sellita movements.

Very interesting.
I learned about it a year or so ago looking for omega parts on Otto Frei. They have the following notice up
After 85 years of supplying Omega watch parts the Swatch Monopoly which controls Omega will no longer sell us or any other Independent Watch Parts Distributor in the World. The items on the site are the only items we can supply as the World's governing bodies and Courts have done little to stop the Swiss Watch Companies Restrictive Parts and Trade Practices. We invite all watch owners to voice their complaints directly to the Watch Companies as well to Government agencies and officials.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ain't that the truth. That's why I bought the Marathon. Good enough for the US Government, good enough for me. The whole watch industry is just too confusing.
Check out Cabot watch company. Good enough for the Queen! Cool but not exactly cheap but definitely on the lower end of the spectrum

The whole ETA/Swiss marketing thing has made me a bit jaded about modern watches. I know Rolex/Omega/GS and others make very high quality mechanical watches, but since part of their charm is not being so accurate I am happy wearing relatively inexpensive Seiko/Orient/Seagull mechanical watches. While looking for better quality in highly accurate quartz and smart watches.

I know that is a contrary opinion, but It is like people wanting to pay 10x, 100x, or more for an old car design with a push rod engine and mechanical points and distributor, carburetor, etc when there are self driving electric cars around.

In my opinion the most interesting part of the watch market is micro brands. Watches like the Halios Seaforth.

I also have a soft spot for German watches like Sinn and Damasko.

I brought a 1968 Bulova Automatic Dive Watch early 1970 from the PX on LZ English. I have worn it regularly ever since. It's been back to Bulova twice for whatever they do and crystal replaced. I paid $52.

I have a few investment watches in my collection. I also have a lot of low-to-mid tier watches as well. They get just as much or more time than my pricier watches. All watches are meant to be wore, and I wear them all. If an affordable "cheap" watch speaks to you, wear it and own it.

I’m a Seiko man myself. I’ve got two Seiko automatics I adore wearing. Plus, I’ve a couple Timex’s. As a middle-aged family man, that’s good enough for me.

I found a Seiko "bullhead" in a junk/cleanout shop. It runs but needs service, crystal & band. At some point I will put the money it needs into it. It was in a bag with a bunch of Fossil level watches and I almost passed on it. Did not know Seiko made automatics until I searched it later.

Web pic but like the one I found -

proxy.php

It was the Rolex thread that did this. If I could afford an expensive watch, I don't think I could bear to wear one. Certainly not for work, as the cases and crystals of every work watch I ever owned will testify.

Now, I don't besmirch those who have and wear a Rolex or other expensive watch. But how many fans of cheap watches do we have here? Bill Clinton and George W. Bush wore a Timex in the White House, and even Pope Francis wears a Casio. I simply ask does a watch look good and does the job.

I've not worn a watch in years but there is something about immediately knowing the time at a glance. It's likely my age and knowing the back 9 is within sight. That said...

Watched a youtube video about auction lot buys and the guy had won a box of misc. watches from the 1930s - 1980s. He went through them and sorted by value. Many were Swiss made but put in the B & C pile. The brands had little resale value despite being good watches (his comment). Same for most Japanese ones and many were great looking too.

I might look for an extinct Swiss brand or a Japanese one. And with the Japanese ones they made a pantload so prices are low. Just searching "vintage Japanese dive watch" will give you hours of scrolling. The biggest issue might be how much you are willing to spend on service (+ crystal & band) but you'd end up with a great watch.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I found a Seiko "bullhead" in a junk/cleanout shop. It runs but needs service, crystal & band. At some point I will put the money it needs into it. It was in a bag with a bunch of Fossil level watches and I almost passed on it. Did not know Seiko made automatics until I searched it later.

Web pic but like the one I found -

proxy.php
Oh wow, that’s cool! Conversation starter for sure. Good luck with the restoration.

On Seiko automatics, look up the history of the Seiko 5. Seiko has been making affordable automatics for a long time. As you discovered, there are some bargains out there for used and vintage Seikos with plenty of life still in them.

This was such a great question about Bill Clinton and George W Bush. Your comment about them wearing an inexpensive watch caught me off guard as both men owned Rolex prior to their Presidency.
But after researching you were correct that during their Presidency they wore inexpensive watches to make people think that they were like the average person.
This was surprising as it countered an article I read about Martin Luther King. He wanted to wear an inexpensive watch and was told to wear a Rolex as the men he would be dealing with and negotiating with would respect him for not being fake but honest. A real man.
With that said I totally agree that one should wear a watch that they are comfortable with. You can always tell when someone is faking by hiding their Rolex to wear something inexpensive. I would never trust those individuals in business. Even today I watch them closely.
So that is my recommendation, be honest to yourself and wear what is comfortable to you and people will respect you.

Rolex is surely the most well known watch brand and it projects different images to different people. During the last election cycle for a local position there was a negative advertisement criticizing one candidate for his tailored suits and rolex. Giving him a backhanded compliment for looking good, but not doing good. I wish I could remember the candidate or position he was running for; but the point is that expensive watches can highlight economic class divides that cause people political discomfort...or just be used a symbol to express that.

Seiko automatics for me. I have heen wearing a SKX007 for 7 years. Changed out the hardlux chrystal for saphire. Keeps geat time gains about 1-1/2 min week.
Just bought a Seiko SARY057 for off work. I really like it. Day and date complications. Classic look to me.
I can afford a Rolex but dont see the point for me. However to each their own.

I guess I’ve got one as cheap/inexpensive as it can get. I bought a vintage Seiko 5 off of The Bay, all the way from Mumbai— a “Bombay Special”. I think I spent $13 for the watch including shipping, then about $50 for servicing, and $30 for a nice band. It badly needed servicing, as it was gaining about 10 minutes a day. After servicing it now keeps absolutely perfect time and it looks great—great custom face repainting! Here’s a photo of it for the conversation....

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I guess I’ve got one as cheap/inexpensive as it can get. I bought a vintage Seiko 5 off of The Bay, all the way from Mumbai— a “Bombay Special”. I think I spent $13 for the watch including shipping, then about $50 for servicing, and $30 for a nice band. It badly needed servicing, as it was gaining about 10 minutes a day. After servicing it now keeps absolutely perfect time and it looks great—great custom face repainting! Here’s a photo of it for the conversation....

proxy.php
Very nice. Similar story, but mine kept great time for over a year. Dead now, but I miss it so much I think I'll get it fixed.

Top Bottom