What's new

Are entry level automatic watches worth it?

Here’s my replacement for the Rolex Submariner I recently sold! It’s a Citizen Eco Drive 200m, Tough Promaster, Stainless Steel, solid construction, fits well and is very comfortable. Felt good to receive bookoo bucks for the Rolex that I enjoyed for nearly forty years. SIX years warranty on the Citizen and keeps superbly accurate time. No more being concerned about wearing my Rolex out in public, putting it in the locker at the fitness club, sensing that there were actual eyes on it from folks who saw it as an opportunity. Plus, don’t have to deal with Rolex’s pricing for maintenance, eight fifty to a thousand bucks, new bracelet 1250-1500 USD, possibly having it sent to Geneva as parts for my model are getting difficult to source for local authorized dealers. Ask me if I’m satisfied? YOU BETCHA!

74E14FE8-EB5A-4BB4-AE89-0C7A17ADDB9D.jpeg

Here’s my replacement for the Rolex Submariner I recently sold! It’s a Citizen Eco Drive 200m, Tough Promaster, Stainless Steel, solid construction, fits well and is very comfortable. Felt good to receive bookoo bucks for the Rolex that I enjoyed for nearly forty years. SIX years warranty on the Citizen and keeps superbly accurate time. No more being concerned about wearing my Rolex out in public, putting it in the locker at the fitness club, sensing that there were actual eyes on it from folks who saw it as an opportunity. Plus, don’t have to deal with Rolex’s pricing for maintenance, eight fifty to a thousand bucks, new bracelet 1250-1500 USD, possibly having it sent to Geneva as parts for my model are getting difficult to source for local authorized dealers. Ask me if I’m satisfied? YOU BETCHA!
Glad you're enjoying your new watch. Your story made me think about something. Earlier this week, as I was walking into the drug store, I noticed a guy walking out wearing a...ROLEX t-shirt. One with a giant ROLEX emblem and name on the front center. I did not catch whether he was wearing an actual ROLEX or not, though I could've sworn I noticed a smart watch of some sort. I just couldn't help but be curious as to WHY someone would wear a ROLEX t-shirt.

Glad you're enjoying your new watch. Your story made me think about something. Earlier this week, as I was walking into the drug store, I noticed a guy walking out wearing a...ROLEX t-shirt. One with a giant ROLEX emblem and name on the front center. I did not catch whether he was wearing an actual ROLEX or not, though I could've sworn I noticed a smart watch of some sort. I just couldn't help but be curious as to WHY someone would wear a ROLEX t-shirt.

Exactly!

But was it a genuine Rolex t-shirt, or a fake Rolex t-shirt?

I'm speaking of watches such as the Seiko 5 and offerings from Citizen and others. After not wearing a watch for about 20 years I decided to get one. I was looking for a "nicer" watch than my recently acquired inexpensive Timex Ironman. The concept of automatic watches have always intrigued me, so I took a little look. While looking at budget minded options I see that many can not be wound by hand, can have an accuracy of +- 30 a day, and will need maintenance after a few years whose cost makes some decided to toss the watch instead.

Why chose such a watch when a cheaper quartz movement will be more accurate and reliable and only need a cheap battery instead of more expensive preventative work? I'm not knocking anyone who likes them. I certainly get the coolness factor of the watch and the higher dollar watches will come in a much nicer package than a simple Timex or Casio. It just seems to me that unless you're buying just for looks it's a poor return on investment.

The search for an analogue watch continues....

Pretty good looking watch for $198 !!!
1681669488296.png

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Orient makes some nice cheap auto watches. Bought one of the divers a few years ago and it is pretty good. Think I paid something like 200 for it.

They are worth it to watch making companies as they are typically a gateway drug to more expensive automatic watches. Just more watches in general.

Anything that uses a Miyota or NH35 movement, should be solid.

I'm currently using an AliX watch, with an NH35 movement, sterile dial (unbranded, no logos, pilot/field watch), it was $80 cad landed and keeps time within +/- 2 seconds a day, sapphire crystal with AR.

If it's way off, they can easily be regulated with a few basic watch tools and a YouTube video.

Last edited:
Quartz timekeeping is just a marvel of engineering. Inexpensive and accurate to two minutes a year. I can see why 96% of all watches sold have quartz movements

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Quartz timekeeping is just a marvel of engineering. Inexpensive and accurate to two minutes a year. I can see why 96% of all watches sold have quartz movements
I agree, but it seems to me that the ubiquity of cell phones and other devices connected to atomic time via the internet and cellular networks have practically made quartz watches obsolete. Or at least it’s rendered watches of all movement types to an auxiliary role, mainly useful for quick wrist checks when it might be awkward or impolite to look at your cell phone. This relegation of watches to essentially functional jewelry has led to a resurgence of interest in mechanical movements. In a way, one is sort of “freed up” to wear less accurate mechanical watches because they’ve already got a super accurate cell phone in their pocket. It’s hard to deny that the little whirly bits in mechanical horology and smooth(ish) sweep of the second hand are just cooler than quartz, and there’s something oddly reassuring about a watch that doesn’t need a battery (even if it does need expensive servicing at least as often as a quartz movement needs a battery). Personally, I appreciate and own watches of both types.

I agree, but it seems to me that the ubiquity of cell phones and other devices connected to atomic time via the internet and cellular networks have practically made quartz watches obsolete. Or at least it’s rendered watches of all movement types to an auxiliary role, mainly useful for quick wrist checks when it might be awkward or impolite to look at your cell phone. This relegation of watches to essentially functional jewelry has led to a resurgence of interest in mechanical movements. In a way, one is sort of “freed up” to wear less accurate mechanical watches because they’ve already got a super accurate cell phone in their pocket. It’s hard to deny that the little whirly bits in mechanical horology and smooth(ish) sweep of the second hand are just cooler than quartz, and there’s something oddly reassuring about a watch that doesn’t need a battery (even if it does need expensive servicing at least as often as a quartz movement needs a battery). Personally, I appreciate and own watches of both types.
Your points are well stated. I also enjoy all types of watches. I would just add that there are instances when I most want to have a HAQ (highly accurate quartz) or radio synced watch on my wrist. As there are seemingly clocks nearly everywhere one looks and that coupled with one's inner sense of time means that one can often estimate time good enough without looking at their wristwatch. And in cases when time is needed a very precise time (within say 10 seconds) is helpful to know when to turn on the radio or tv to catch or avoid a sports contest start, news broadcast, "weather on the ones", "traffic on the eights", etc.

Top Bottom