What's new

thoughts on knockoff watches

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A wise man once told me the only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real one.
Never having owned either, I should not comment.

But as everyone who knows me, diarrhea of the mouth is an ailment I suffer from. Or is it my thumbs that are afflicted on Badger and Blade? Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that very important distinction....

But yes, as a young man I would have loved a real life Rolex. As a middle aged man I would have loved a faux Rolex, but probably would have been afraid to wear it because I might be called out.

As an older man I could now afford a real Rolex, but I would prefer a Citizen EcoDrive over the Rolex so that I could invest the difference into Mutual Funds, and most likely watch the money disappear!

Lastly, but most importantly, all of the statements above are but moot points, because as you all know, my lovely and formidable War Department would veto any plans that I would make about money if said money wasn't allocated to our future Home first, that House not made with hands, eternal, in the Heavens.

Any future wife I have will be Rich, and NOT a Baptist, doggone!

But as everyone who knows me, diarrhea of the mouth is an ailment I suffer from. Or is it my thumbs that are afflicted on Badger and Blade? Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that very important distinction....

But yes, as a young man I would have loved a real life Rolex. As a middle aged man I would have loved a faux Rolex, but probably would have been afraid to wear it because I might be called out.

As an older man I could now afford a real Rolex, but I would prefer a Citizen EcoDrive over the Rolex so that I could invest the difference into Mutual Funds, and most likely watch the money disappear!

Lastly, but most importantly, all of the statements above are but moot points, because as you all know, my lovely and formidable War Department would veto any plans that I would make about money if said money wasn't allocated to our future Home first, that House not made with hands, eternal, in the Heavens.

You're just spending your children's inheritance. There's nothing wrong with spending the dough on a real Rolex, unless there's something else that you'd rather spend the money on (which happens to be my situation). So <$1000 watches for me, but to each their own.

The issue, as I understand it with Rolex is, you can't walk into a dealer and buy one. Wait lists, previous purchases, dealer relations, are all taken into account. I'm not a fan of the games and shenanigans I've heard they play.

If I was to ever splurge for a $8k+ watch, it would be an Omega. I'm not a Rolex guy or lifestyle, but would gladly buy an Omega if the time was right and wife approved. I can't see it happening though, I'm too cheap.

I'd rather own a modest watch or two and pocket the extra cash.

Last edited:
The issue, as I understand it with Rolex is, you can't walk into a dealer and buy one. Wait lists, previous purchases, dealer relations, are all taken into account. I'm not a fan of the games and shenanigans I've heard they play.

If I was to ever splurge for a $8k+ watch, it would be an Omega. I'm not a Rolex guy or lifestyle, but would gladly buy an Omega if the time was right and wife approved. I can't see it happening though, I'm too cheap.

I'd rather own a modest watch or two and pocket the extra cash.
Inflated prices on secondary market Rolex have came down considerably but are still way above list price and yes that funny AD waiting list Cha Cha Cha is still going on…

GMT Master II Pepsi/Jubilee
List price ~10k
2022 >30k
2023 <20k

Top Bottom