What's new

Cheap Watches

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Sent off more than 100 expensive mechanical watches to Sotheby's a few years ago and figured I was through collecting. Then I started buying Citizen Eco Drives, and now I have 25 or so of the damn things.

I must say, I like then a lot, from dressy Stilettoes to ProMaster Toughs, as well as Corsos and Chandlers. None cost more than $200; many cost less than $100.

It's a treat knowing they are always set and running. I keep them spread out beneath a flood lamp to keep them charged, which is far more economical than buying winders.

Would I start collecting more costly watches again? Probably not. At this stage of my life, I've no one to leave them to, and I've come to value wine, women and song more than the ticking of anything from Geneva. ;)

Oh, I still have a few pricy watches sitting around, but almost never wear them. For me and for now, it's quartz, variety and the hunt for bargains.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have been buying a few cheaper Citizen Eco Drive watches lately off eBay. I have taken the chance on a few and found out that they don’t hold a charge anymore. Some have and I have come out in front. The ones that don’t hold a charge will work out in the sunlight but as soon as I bring them inside they stop. One I thought was a dud, I set the time and put it outside in the sun and no movement for nearly 20 minutes, I came out a few hours later and she was off and racing. I reset the time and it has not missed a beat for the last couple on months.

Top Bottom