What's new

thoughts on knockoff watches

I've got a bit of a conundrum. I am interested in getting an automatic watch. I'm not rolling in money and even if I were - I'm a confirmed penny pincher/tightwad/cheapskate. I would be perfectly happy with an Orient Bambino or a Seiko 5 etc. but I've fallen in love with this IWC Portugieser. There is just no way could I justify walking around with that much $ on my wrist and I'd never dare leave the house :)
1679858396435.png

My brain says that this would serve me just as well at a fraction of the cost - but my heart doesn't agree
1679858563003.png

I know there are crappy knockoff watches ... but there are a few forums where geeks specialize in finding the closest possible replica watches and putting better (but still knockoff) movements and sapphire crystals etc. Some of these knockoffs can be $800-1200 so they aren't exactly cheap but they are so close they are nearly impossible to detect unless you actually take them apart.

Anyone have any experience with the really well done replica watches? Want to talk some sense into me and tell me I'd be happier with a legit Orient or Seiko rather than a fake IWC?

San Martin makes some nice looking, green chronos. I haven't seen a SM in person, but they are well regarded for a China watch who make enough subtle changes, to not make them Homage or copies, on some models.

Do NOT spend $1000 on a 1:1 branded copy. It's not worth it.

All of these have "Green" options. I do not know if they are based on current $$$ offerings or copies designs.

Last edited:
What about a Seiko Alpinist?

While not a Chrono, it does offer something different and is a legit favorite in that price range.

PS, if you have a $1000 budget and want your first automatic watch, you can get a fantastic watch....or two.

Last edited:
Well many years ago Pre 1997 Hal I knew was going to Hong Kong.

I armed her with $30.00, and photo of Rolex. She was instructed to find, and buy me Rolex Copy.

She returned from trip, phone rings, and she said got your copy.

Had watch 10 years, it was stainless steel copy.

One day it stops, so I got to small watch shop in Sacramento.

Owner was Japanese watch maker. I ask can you fix this watch.

He replies it’s Rolex Counterfit. I say yes I know.

He opens back, looks inside, replaced battery, charge me about three bucks.

Then he say it Sayko movement, and should last long time.

It did, and I sold off when I retired.

Second hand did not sweep, it went tick, tick, tick.

Most people thought I had $2,500.00 Rolex.

Thanks for all the replies! To clarify a little --- I was saying that there are replicas out there in that price range. I wasn't saying I was thinking of buying a replica in that price range :)

For example here is a good replica for about $350 with Sapphire crystal and very accurate copy down to thickness etc. And this is more along the lines of what I might consider if going replica. It's pretty amazing how close they get these
1679862653088.png

But I totally get it and agree with the concept of either saving up for the real thing or buying a legit green watch of a less expensive brand. When I said my heart doesn't agree with my head --- I meant this very particular and specific green chrono is the one that got into my heart. The Orient or Tissot or Citizen etc. are very nice but just don't speak to me the way the IWC Portugese styling does. Oddly enough I don't even need it to be a Chrono - so I'm going to look into that Aplinist that @brucered suggested. (Alpinist was one that I considered early on as a possible candidate) Anyway it is just the look of this particular IWC that grabs me --- sort of like when you fall in love with someone you can't just decide it makes more sense to be with a different person who has the same color eyes.

Last edited:
Some knockoffs are really, really close… but YOU will still know.
And servicing a fake automatic watch may be an issue down the road. I could care less from an ethical standpoint as most people buying $1000 Rolex Submariner dupes (as an example) would likely never buy the real thing ($20k+).

I have owned a few real Rolexes in the past and i cringed every time I sent them in for service as it cost me a fortune. More than a good dupe! For that reason only, I avoid the super high end expensive watches. I still own an Omega Seamaster (cheaper to service), but generally wear Orient and Seiko automatics.

Maybe look at a lower end IWC?

Some knockoffs are really, really close… but YOU will still know.
And servicing a fake automatic watch may be an issue down the road. I could care less from an ethical standpoint as most people buying $1000 Rolex Submariner dupes (as an example) would likely never buy the real thing ($20k+).

I have owned a few real Rolexes in the past and i cringed every time I sent them in for service as it cost me a fortune. More than a good dupe! For that reason only, I avoid the super high end expensive watches. I still own an Omega Seamaster (cheaper to service), but generally wear Orient and Seiko automatics.

Maybe look at a lower end IWC?

Rolex has unique product with people paying over retail for the real deal.

Heard most model are 3 - 5 years waiting.

If you are looking for something like an IWC, I might think you could find something with a similar vibe in a different brand. As IWC leans towards a scientific instrument look rather than fashion IMO and is a look shared by others. I think that is why the youtuber "Just One More Watch" listed it as one brand he would never buy in his video about the 5 brands he would never buy, not for its quality but for their overall look which was a bit bland for him. While I disagreed with his point about the IWC, he highlights a number of good quality and cheap watches found on AliExpress and similar websites. You might want to check out some of his videos for more watch ideas.

While I would not want to buy an exact copy (something that could be otherwise called a counterfeit) I have no issue with homage watches or whatever term people like to use for something that looks much like another watch. As over the decades watches have copied each others design elements. Who really first really designed the first panda dial, coin edge bezel, round indices, lumed pips, sword hands, ceramic bezel, etc. and how much effort did that originally take. And some of these elements became associated with certain styles like field watches, divers, pilots, chronos, etc., so a lot of them are copied to get that particular look IMO.

There's a fine line between knockoff and homage - and that line tends to drift a bit from person to person. To me, a knockoff is when the watch has the brand name when in reality it is definitely not that brand. I would definitely never pay serious money for a knockoff. I might spend $20 on one if I saw it in person and knew what it was.
I'm with you on being a "penny pincher", though I prefer to use the term FRUGAL. I've always wanted a panda dial chrono, similar to a Speedmaster or a Monaco. I've never found a Monaco look alike, but did find a Pagani that fit the Speedmaster vibe. I've not found myself wearing it as much as I thought, but it has at least somewhat satisfied my want. I just could never spend 4 figures on a watch.

Don't buy a knockoff watch. If you are just looking for a green dial or chronograph (or green dial chronograph) there are plenty of watches that can fit the bill.

Of course, saving up for the IWC (even a pre-owned one) is a possibility. And don't worry about the cost while wearing it - that's what insurance is for.

Late to the party:

Knock off-NEVER
Homage: depends how "homagey"

As others have said- if your budget is 800-1200 there are any number of watches that watch guys would respect far more than a knock off or homage.

If you have to ask the question on this, you already know the answer.

Sub 200-Orient Bambino with green face/silver case/mesh bracelet

Sub 775-Tissot-CHEMIN DES TOURELLES POWERMATIC 80 42 MM

Spending 800-1200 on a knock off when you can buy a proper watch that you do not have to lie about seems like a no brainer.

Buy the bambino at 200, wear it proudly as it is a brand that uses an automatic in house movement that punch well above its weight. Orient is a respected gateway brand into the automatic watch world.

Save the 1000 ad put it toward a the IWC. You are already 20% + there on a used one for sure.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
There are an awful lot of different watches and a much smaller number of basic designs and looks. So the odds are good that most any watch could be viewed as an homage to something, not necessarily something expensive but possibly. However, a counterfeit is preying on the buyer and the true owner of the marque. That sucks.

Top Bottom