What's new

Watch tools

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I used to be able to change watch bands and batteries using a small flat head screwdriver or a knife blade depending on the watch/job. Now that my vision and dexterity are failing I am looking to get the specialized tools for the job so I don’t cause undo damage to a watch or myself by a slipping blade. They have cheap toolsets on Amazon and Harbor Freight sells a few different things, but sometimes cheap works just fine and other times not so much. Basically looking to pop off or unscrew the back for battery replacements and change out and adjust the bracelet or band. Any tips? Any experience good or bad with the lower end tools? I’m not working on Rolex here but don’t want to wreck a decent watch

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I bought a Bergeon 6767-SF springbar replacement tool for changing the straps on my watches. It works well and seems like a quality tool. I paid under £15 delivered so was very reasonable. I have no experience of removing the back of my watches so cannot advise on that.

To get started, I would look online (amazon, ebay, etc) for one of those "147 pcs Watch Repair Kit" tools. It doesn't specifically need to be that set, just using that as a search description to point you towards one of those zip up cases with various caseback tools, pin removal tool, etc which are generally helpful. It is not of high quality, but you may not know ahead of time what part of it you really need.

From it, I have used the plastic tool to resize bracelets the most. But I nearly broke it resizing a titanium Aragon bracelet, where the bracelet seemed to have some Loctite or something on the pins, something stronger than the metal in the removal tool. I nearly bought the "Watch Link Remover Pliers" from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago, thinking it would be an upgrade but have not yet.

In my experience, those adjustable caseback removal tools (like seen in the above kit) are mostly frustrating and useless. Those socket looking tools where the different screw tips can be swapped in and adjusted to match the notches on the back of the watch. IMO they have too much play and mostly lead to scratching and failure. In their place for the task of opening casebacks I would recommend getting a watch removal ball to open your screw back cases and a couple of different profiles of knives/dull-blades like seen in the big repair kit to remove press fit cases.

When I ordered my straps, the store had a $2 spring bar removal tool. I think it is worth what I paid for it. It works, but it feels fairly loose when using and takes some effort to get the job done. It could be the user, or maybe an ID-10-T error, but it does get the job done.
During heavy lockdown, I had a watch that needed a new battery, and purchased one of the adjustable caseback removal tools like Stillshaving mentioned. It came with a plastic holder for the case as well. The good news is that I found it to be quite effective. The bad news is that I learned that each of my watches requires a different battery size. In addition, I learned that the watch I had purchased the correct sized battery for stored it behind a separate piece with the worlds tiniest phillips head screw, that had been stripped out. So while the tools were successful, the result was still a failure. I've been tempted to remove the case back on my ProDiver to adjust the movement (it runs slow), but haven't taken the time or worked up the gumption to do so yet.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have two - a cheapie (blue) and a better one. The cheapie works ok if the caseback hasn't been frozen in place .. otherwise it tends to slip & scratch. The more complex version is solid & the changeable pins help.

DSC00860.JPG

I have two - a cheapie (blue) and a better one. The cheapie works ok if the caseback hasn't been frozen in place .. otherwise it tends to slip & scratch. The more complex version is solid & the changeable pins help.

View attachment 1621147
Nice photo. It is good to hear that you and @ByMyBeard have had good experience with the complex caseback removal tool. Though yours looks to be of better quality than the one in my cheap ~$15 watch repair kit. I think this is a situation where the quality and precision of the tool could make all the difference, like the difference between a pair of poor quality vs high quality channel lock pliers in a tight situation.

I might have expected you to say that the blue cheapie tool worked better as there should be less slop between the pins, even though it has less points of contact. It is the slop in the complex tool that made it difficult for me to use on some frozen casebacks, trying to keep the 3 pins engaged in shallow slots in the caseback without them wanting to tilt or splay too much.

The basic kit I have been using for a number of years. I also have a bergeon 6767 spring bar tool which is of better quality, but it has a bent pin from pushing out a crusty spring bar on a used watch I had bought. So in that regard I am not sure it is much better than the tool included in this big cheap kit.

The most used tools are shown in the second photo, the black tool to hold the case while using the ball to unscrew the caseback of quartz watches. And the blue plastic tool to hold a bracelet that uses friction pins. For really stuck casebacks, one needs a shop vise to hold the watch holder so that you have hand free.
Watch-repair-kit_20230315.jpg

Watch-repair-kit-most-used-tools_20230315.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Three pin for sure on the caseback wrench (Jaxa style), mine seems good quality and I paid maybe $20 or $25 (years ago).
Don't scrimp on the pin tool, get the Bergeon, they usually are stronger steel. Cheapos also can break, scratching the case.
A good knife can usually pop the back off a battery watch but the yellow handled things work better sometimes.
I use some good tweezers and a 10x loupe when changing someone's battery.
Have fun!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The basic kit I have been using for a number of years. I also have a bergeon 6767 spring bar tool which is of better quality, but it has a bent pin from pushing out a crusty spring bar on a used watch I had bought. So in that regard I am not sure it is much better than the tool included in this big cheap kit.

The most used tools are shown in the second photo, the black tool to hold the case while using the ball to unscrew the caseback of quartz watches. And the blue plastic tool to hold a bracelet that uses friction pins. For really stuck casebacks, one needs a shop vise to hold the watch holder so that you have hand free.
View attachment 1621323
View attachment 1621324
Bergeon spring bar tool tips are all replaceable. They are relatively inexpensive and hold up quite well, though with enough rough use (digging out stubborn spring bars), they will break.

(This reminds me. I need to order some spares myself.)

Are there any tongues/pincers for compressing both ends of the springbar simultaneously available that don’t cost an arm and leg?

Getting fitted endlinks/bracelets off is a rare event but always makes me sweat using the simple pin/fork.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Are there any tongues/pincers for compressing both ends of the springbar simultaneously available that don’t cost an arm and leg?

Getting fitted endlinks/bracelets off is a rare event but always makes me sweat using the simple pin/fork.
Yes. I picked one up for about $35. Not Bergeon quality, but it does work, and it came with replacement forks.

I used to be able to change watch bands and batteries using a small flat head screwdriver or a knife blade depending on the watch/job. Now that my vision and dexterity are failing I am looking to get the specialized tools for the job so I don’t cause undo damage to a watch or myself by a slipping blade. They have cheap toolsets on Amazon and Harbor Freight sells a few different things, but sometimes cheap works just fine and other times not so much. Basically looking to pop off or unscrew the back for battery replacements and change out and adjust the bracelet or band. Any tips? Any experience good or bad with the lower end tools? I’m not working on Rolex here but don’t want to wreck a decent watch
Have you thought instead of buying a solar powered watch such as a Citizen eco drive, I have several different ones and you never need to take the back off, a lot of new straps come with quick release bars now I prefer these as there’s much less chance of scratching the watch case with a tool
I use a square g shock for work which synchronises itself with the atomic time signal and never has to be adjusted.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just changed a battery on the Lunar Pilot, and needed my case back tool ... which I believe I got at Harbor Freight. It works, and has the different pins set. Pin tool came from CNS.

The joy of watch-fooling; I've learned to use an old bedspread when working with tiny things that go "sproing!" ...

AA

Top Bottom