What's new

Blackbird OC - my long road to loving the bird

Excellent. The good news is the BB comes with a 30 day guarantee. If you can't get it to work, send it back and get your money back. Then, you can try something different. I got a feeling you will like the Blackbird. If you are a ride the cap kinda guy, you might struggle. If you do, move towards riding the guard. I find the BB likes to be ridden on the guard. Then again, I think they all like to be ridden on the guard. Shave in silence and listen to it cut. You'll dial it in.

Some guys do struggle tho. Too bad, it's a great shaver. Can't go wrong with trying it out for free.
Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind and ride closer on the guard. What radius should be the steep angle be at? 30 degrees or so?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind and ride closer on the guard. What radius should be the steep angle be at? 30 degrees or so?
A steep angle would be more like 60-70 degrees. I’ve been riding the BB with the handle practically parallel to the face, and with a sharp blade that Bird sings loudly and strongly.

It’s always interesting how different we all are. I have a Blackbird OC, and I ride the cap for tremendous—and loud—shaves.

A steep angle would be more like 60-70 degrees. I’ve been riding the BB with the handle practically parallel to the face, and with a sharp blade that Bird sings loudly and strongly.
Thank you for your shaving experience with the BB @Hannah's Dad , I will keep that in mind when I get it. I’m very interested in mastering this razor, might be a long learning curve.

Hannah's Dad

Thank you for your shaving experience with the BB @Hannah's Dad , I will keep that in mind when I get it. I’m very interested in mastering this razor, might be a long learning curve.
I made the mistake of going shallow at first, and had two rather uncomfortable shaves. Then a wise man told me to go steep, and I’ve had awesome shaves since.

There’s decent blade feel with the Bird, but if your technique is sound, it will reward you. Good luck.

One day I'll buy an SB baseplate for my Brassbird. I certainly don't need another shaving tool, but I'm just too curious to see how that one performs too. I wonder if it will give just as close a shave as the OC.

The more I use that OC the more I like it. I've grown comfortable with its unique (rough) feel and I really look forward to shaving with it. It's like the old sportscar that has a harsh suspension but is still more fun to drive than the cushy Mercedes sedan.

One day I'll buy an SB baseplate for my Brassbird. I certainly don't need another shaving tool, but I'm just too curious to see how that one performs too. I wonder if it will give just as close a shave as the OC.

The more I use that OC the more I like it. I've grown comfortable with its unique (rough) feel and I really look forward to shaving with it. It's like the old sportscar that has a harsh suspension but is still more fun to drive than the cushy Mercedes sedan.

The OC is slightly more efficient than SB...but that "rough" feeling subsides. I like the SB much better in any razor tho.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of going shallow at first, and had two rather uncomfortable shaves. Then a wise man told me to go steep, and I’ve had awesome shaves since.

There’s decent blade feel with the Bird, but if your technique is sound, it will reward you. Good luck.
Thank you sir. I’m excited to shave with the BB, as it seems it requires more precision and technique.

I am enjoying the patina from use on the black oxide, also indicates that I ride the cap. I'll have to try the next few shaves remembering to ride the bar and see how it compares.

Resized_20190712_184008.jpeg

I am enjoying the patina from use on the black oxide, also indicates that I ride the cap. I'll have to try the next few shaves remembering to ride the bar and see how it compares.

View attachment 1001289
Cool black oxide pic! Loving the Blackbird so far! With each shave my technique gets better and better and the shave is butter smooth! There is a bit of a learning curve with the Blackbird but wholly kaw, it gave me perhaps the best shave of my life. I have the machined blackbird and it is a keeper for sure. I’m surprised that the Blackbirds are not talked about on this forum as much as Timeless or Wolfman.. It is a beautifully machined razor, wonderful craftsmanship with superb efficiency.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

Cool black oxide pic! Loving the Blackbird so far! With each shave my technique gets better and better and the shave is butter smooth! There is a bit of a learning curve with the Blackbird but wholly kaw, it gave me perhaps the best shave of my life. I have the machined blackbird and it is a keeper for sure. I’m surprised that the Blackbirds are not talked about on this forum as much as Timeless or Wolfman.. It is a beautifully machined razor, wonderful craftsmanship with superb efficiency.
+1 Well-said!

That's a nice razor, @ShavingPanda. Keep us posted on how it ages.

I have said before that the Timeless is my favorite razor, but I still love the Blackbird. However, I realize I reach for the Blackbird more than any of my other razors. I have to admit to myself that the Blackbird OC is my favorite razor. I've come a long way from wanting to sell it. The razor just has too much character and my shaves are anything but boring and routine. It's a little more work, but it's totally worth it. As Kennedy once said, "We choose to shave with a Blackbird OC, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Blackbird OC + Red Personna = best shave ever.

I have said before that the Timeless is my favorite razor, but I still love the Blackbird. However, I realize I reach for the Blackbird more than any of my other razors. I have to admit to myself that the Blackbird OC is my favorite razor. I've come a long way from wanting to sell it. The razor just has too much character and my shaves are anything but boring and routine. It's a little more work, but it's totally worth it. As Kennedy once said, "We choose to shave with a Blackbird OC, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Very well said @McNutt! I have been using Astra SP’s with my Blackbird. Now After reading your post...I headed over to the Bay and purchased a sleeve of Red Personna from seller albert_2011.. Thank you! Can’t wait when the Israelli Reds come in :)

Thanks, I will keep you posted. It's funny how there is just something addictive about the BB and just fun to reach for.

I have the SB version of the Blackbird. It's by far the best razor I've ever used or owned. Great shaves every time. I tend to use shallow angles on my face and steeper angles on my neck....works good for me.

I'm thinking about getting the open comb baseplate to see if I like it. I'm a daily shaver so I'm wondering if it will be a bit much.

Great shaves every time.

I'm thinking about getting the open comb baseplate to see if I like it. I'm a daily shaver so I'm wondering if it will be a bit much.

That's just it. Perfect shave every single time. It's crazy that I'm still amazed by it after every shave.

I'm a daily shaver too and it's not bad at all. Just give it a fair tryout and you might reach for it again and again like me.

Top Bottom