What's new

Blackbird OC - my long road to loving the bird

I am still getting used to the OC, @ShavingPanda . I hope to achieve your results, because I do typically prefer OCs. As of now, I find the SB just a bit smoother. That could change, however. I like to go very steep with the Bird. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always.

P.S. The black oxide looks so bad@$$!

Thanks! The black oxide is really, to me, kinda cool. I enjoy watching the razor "wear" or "patina" as I use it, and fun to see where the wear is on the razor. I will keep an eye out for a polished SS or brass one to try...for science.

I'm finding hearing people's review of the BB quite interesting... it's a bit of an enigma razor to be honest. Some love it, some hate it; some find the OC smoother, some say SB.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks! The black oxide is really, to me, kinda cool. I enjoy watching the razor "wear" or "patina" as I use it, and fun to see where the wear is on the razor. I will keep an eye out for a polished SS or brass one to try...for science.

I'm finding hearing people's review of the BB quite interesting... it's a bit of an enigma razor to be honest. Some love it, some hate it; some find the OC smoother, some say SB.
Indeed ... polarizing razors are never boing!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My first shave with the OC Bird is in the books. I used a Feather blade (2), M&M Claddagh soap and splash, and my newly-acquired Paladin Lotus select badger brush.

My attempt to load with the Paladin failed miserably. I am so used to synthetics just loading and lathering; I can’t tell whether I had too much soap or too much water, or whether the Paladin just eats up more soap than I expected. So, I quickly dipped my Graydog synthetic brush in warm water, loaded from the puck and lathered up.

First pass with the OC was not as comfortable as with the SB. The ‘song pitch’ while cutting is even higher with the OC (which I enjoy), but I could definitely feel more blade. That said, it certainly removed my beard like few others after one pass. It reminded me of my first few shaves with the Muhle R41.

The XTG was similar — felt some drag and it just lacked the same smoothness as with the SB.

I didn’t go ATG - I really didn’t need it. My face was very smooth and the stubble was history. The alcohol splash revealed some burn, which confirmed the sharpness of the Feather.

So, my conclusion is that I need to work with this OC Bird some more. I’ll tame it, just as I did with the SB.
View attachment 1002623

Good morning Dan, did you soak your badger for a bit ? I find that works best for me , some say you don't have to but like I said it works for me.

Hannah's Dad

Good morning Dan, did you soak your badger for a bit ? I find that works best for me , some say you don't have to but like I said it works for me.
Yes, I always soak during my shower. It was just too big. Synthetics (like the two from you) work perfectly for me!

This thread has been awesome. The Blackbird has given me some great, smooth, and effortless shaves. I don’t mind the blade feel at all. I’ve actually started downsizing as I find myself reaching for the Blackbird.

I have the SB but am thinking I might like the OC better. I prefer more aggressive razors like the CG Level 3. If only I could find someone with a machined OC plate.

Hannah's Dad

This thread has been awesome. The Blackbird has given me some great, smooth, and effortless shaves. I don’t mind the blade feel at all. I’ve actually started downsizing as I find myself reaching for the Blackbird.

I have the SB but am thinking I might like the OC better. I prefer more aggressive razors like the CG Level 3. If only I could find someone with a machined OC plate.
They’re available from Blackland — $65 for just the plate.

You’re right. I was looking at the caps. Thanks for the correction.
No problem. I’m still working on dialing in the Blackbird SB ... I don’t believe I have graduated from the SB to go to the Oc yet. FWIW every time I shave with a
Different razor I always wonder in the back of my head “Could the Blackbird have done it Better?” It’s the only razor in my Den that for some weird reason or another I’m emotionally connected to,... if that makes sense. Happy Shaving:)

Hannah's Dad

No problem. I’m still working on dialing in the Blackbird SB ... I don’t believe I have graduated from the SB to go to the Oc yet. FWIW every time I shave with a
Different razor I always wonder in the back of my head “Could the Blackbird have done it Better?” It’s the only razor in my Den that for some weird reason or another I’m emotionally connected to,... if that makes sense. Happy Shaving:)
I know. For as narrow a blade gap as it has, the Bird is just so incredibly ‘efficient’.

For me, the Blackbird OC is one of the most blade-forward razors in my den. "Blade-forward" does not mean "aggressive" or "unpleasant." Rather, it lets me feel when my shave is finished, i.e., when I hear and feel no more cutting. Every time, it gives me a tremendously close and long-lasting shave. I'm a huge fan. I should add that if one wants a similarly efficient razor, with a bit less blade feel, the Dart is a winner.

BB is one of my favourite looking razors, love everything about it’s looks. I first bought the machine finished and the drag from the finish made it no fun to use, like putting on the breaks, I also got the drag on the machine finish Sabre so I’ll no longer buy that finish.

With the machine finish, I would get a good shave, a great shave and a horrible shave with it, I sold it. Later I bought the polished version and the drag was gone! Much better shave, but the blade forward feel made the shaving process not much fun although I got good shaves from it, so I sold it. Your absolutely right, there is an enigma around this razor and it’s so interesting to see how so many people have a completely different opinion about it.

BB is one of my favourite looking razors, love everything about it’s looks. I first bought the machine finished and the drag from the finish made it no fun to use, like putting on the breaks, I also got the drag on the machine finish Sabre so I’ll no longer buy that finish.

With the machine finish, I would get a good shave, a great shave and a horrible shave with it, I sold it. Later I bought the polished version and the drag was gone! Much better shave, but the blade forward feel made the shaving process not much fun although I got good shaves from it, so I sold it. Your absolutely right, there is an enigma around this razor and it’s so interesting to see how so many people have a completely different opinion about it.

I get some "drag" with the black oxide. It doesn't bother me at all, it might actually slow me down to make more deliberate strokes. My theory is that the OC allows some of the lather flow through to comb to provide some extra glide for the top cap and blade.

Learning the BB for me was almost like learning to use a DE again. It took some time and shaves to figure it out and took some effort to really "feel" what the razor was doing.

I get some "drag" with the black oxide. It doesn't bother me at all, it might actually slow me down to make more deliberate strokes.

Yep. My brass Blackbird doesn't skate as easily as my polished razors and this is a good thing. I have to take my time with the Blackbird and I enjoy every minute of it. I wouldn't trade "up" for a polished Blackbird at this point because I think the shave from the brass razor is perfect.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
When I first used the Blackbird I felt like the comb was scraping my face with every pass. It was somewhat uncomfortable and I was 90% sure it was going on BST. I persevered and kept working on my technique and it slowly becane more tolerable.

What kept me from throwing in the towel was the simply fantastic results I got with the razor. Each shave, as punishing as it was, left me with a smoothness I could not achieve with my other razors. No nicks or weepers, just an amazingly smooth face.

I just tried my SS Polished Blackbird OC for the first time and can 200% relate to your first impressions. I should have got the SB perhaps, the OC is annoying and sharp. But the SB supposedly also has a rather keen edge. I like the result, extremely close and fantastic shave, but it was rather unpleasant. Very much like you described. You give me some hope that I might get to love or at least like the Blackbird more in future shaves.

I just tried my SS Polished Blackbird OC for the first time and can 200% relate to your first impressions. I should have got the SB perhaps, the OC is annoying and sharp. But the SB supposedly also has a rather keen edge. I like the result, extremely close and fantastic shave, but it was rather unpleasant. Very much like you described. You give me some hope that I might get to love or at least like the Blackbird more in future shaves.

I guess I'll find out for myself if this is gonna be the case with me as I ordered a machined version of the brass Blackbird but with an open comb, see how it compares to my closed comb

Reading these post of the BB OC prompted me to use mine tonight.
I had a great shave with it tonight. Pretty smooth on a 2 day growth face.
Sometimes things just work out great together in a shave, and this was one.

Just got done shaving with the OC Blackbird and I have to say it's been awhile since I had a shave THIS good, no weepers and a BBS finish. Oddly enough for me not quite as irritating to use as some here have found it to be. VERY happy with it so far.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Oddly enough for me not quite as irritating to use as some here have found it to be. VERY happy with it so far.

Good news, I like the Blackbird now. It was a matter of technique. Maybe also a bit of the blade used, the Nacet worked better than the Feather I used in my first shave with the BB.

I shouldn't post before the 2nd shave, but for me the Blackbird isn't a natural. I get rid of the comb scratching my face by riding the cap a LOT (emphasis) more than I usually do. I usually sit at the BAR. This said, I will still get the SB plate as I like the closeness and efficiency of the Blackbird a lot. I will report how different it is compared to the OC and if efficiency suffers. I rather expect it to be a bit more natural and comfortable for me.

But then, it was more a thing from coming from a Timeless .95 SC plate to a Blackbird OC. The Timeless with this plate is not as efficient as the Blackbird, but TODAY I will get a SLIM OC plate, let's see how it will compare. Both function very differently. I basically handled the Blackbird like the Timeless... and that DID NOT work out nicely.

It begs the question why I need a second shave instead of being able to adjust my technique while shaving. I guess I am even more stubborn and dense than my stubble.

Top Bottom