What's new

Blackbird OC - my long road to loving the bird

I bought a brass Blackbird OC around the Dane time I bought a Karve with OC plates and a Timeless OC.

The Karve was fun because of the variety and pleasant OC design. The Timeless was just a marvel of shaving effeciency and comfort. Seriously, that razor is amazing.

The Blackbird was the odd duck. It looks very nice and the brass is an interesting contrast with the modern design. What really makes this one different is the open comb. Unlike the Karve and the Timeless, the Blackbird comb is pretty sharp with zero rounding.

When I first used the Blackbird I felt like the comb was scraping my face with every pass. It was somewhat uncomfortable and I was 90% sure it was going on BST. I persevered and kept working on my technique and it slowly becane more tolerable.

What kept me from throwing in the towel was the simply fantastic results I got with the razor. Each shave, as punishing as it was, left me with a smoothness I could not achieve with my other razors. No nicks or weepers, just an amazingly smooth face.

Now, with slow, deliberate strokes, I have grown to love my Blackbird shaves. It's like a nice backscratch compared to the Timeless back rub. I'm glad I didn't sell it as I would have regretted that decision.

If you could only keep one?

Haven’t tried the blackbird, but am interested as I hear it is very efficient.

If the terrorists win and I can only have one, it would be the Timeless. Until that time I'm keeping the Karve and the Blackbird.

I’ve got the Blackbird OC, Karve F plate OC, Timeless stainless .95 OC and Timeless bronze .78 OC. The Blackbird and Timeless .78 give me the closest shaves, followed by the Karve, followed by the Timeless .95.

Different folks have different faces!

I have a SB Blackbird in black oxide. It's a top three razor for me. I naturally prefer shaving at a steeper angle (handle closer to the face), so the Blackbird is a natural fit. That said I like the range of angles it shaves at, I ride the comb for less blade feel and ride the top cap for more blade feel and efficiency. I find the razor does take concentration though, not a whip it around your face shaver.

I had the Timeless 0.95 OC, an absolute great razor too. I ended up selling the 0.95 Timeless to fund another purchase I made but kept the BB for the unique shave and its efficiency. The Timeless was more of a mindless shave (not in a bad way).

Oh, and the sound the BB makes cutting whiskers is great and unique. I would love to try a polished version with the OC.

I have a SB Blackbird in black oxide. It's a top three razor for me. I naturally prefer shaving at a steeper angle (handle closer to the face), so the Blackbird is a natural fit. That said I like the range of angles it shaves at,

Same... Top three for me and steep angles. I have not tried the timeless or karve; someday, perhaps.

The BB was the 2nd modern razor I bought. I also shave steep, naturally. The BB is a very efficient due to it's blade forward design and it does have blade feel that took a little getting used to, but the BB sent me on a journey to find something the felt and cut like it. It sits at number 3 in my den. It swing way, way above it's weight.

The BB was the 2nd modern razor I bought. I also shave steep, naturally. The BB is a very efficient due to it's blade forward design and it does have blade feel that took a little getting used to, but the BB sent me on a journey to find something the felt and cut like it. It sits at number 3 in my den. It swing way, way above it's weight.
Would you recommend it over the Karve or Timeless Razors?

Would you recommend it over the Karve or Timeless Razors?

The Timeless 95OC was my first modern razor. It is a great shaver and a great value. I did, eventually sell it.

The Karve, and I'll get roasted here, I bought one with the D and E plate. I used the E plate one time. It provided an excellent shave and an even better value than the Timeless, IMO. You can get a Karve and how many plates at the same price as Timeless? (Rhetorical). I did not and could not get along with the matte finish and at the time, I had a slew of top notch modern razors in my den and there were at least 5 or 6 razors I liked better. I sold the Karve immediately.

The BB is an odd duck. Some guys can't and don't ever get along with them. I knew within the first 6" it was the best razor I'd used to that point. After going through a slew of razors, it's still at #3. I have two complete BB sets in Jet black and 24kt.

I narrowed my razor artisans down to two. However, right now, there are some incredibly good razor by several top notch artisans. Something for every taste and budget. Fun times for us.

Last edited:
The Timeless 95OC was my first modern razor. It is a great shaver and a great value. I did, eventually sell it.

The Karve, and I'll get roasted here, I bought one with the D and E plate. I used the E plate one time. It provided an excellent shave and an even better value than the Timeless, IMO. You can get a Karve and how many plates at the same price as Timeless? (Rhetorical). I did not and could not get along with the matte finish and at the time, I had a slew of top notch modern razors in my den and there were at least 5 or 6 razors I liked better. I sold the Karve immediately.

The BB is an odd duck. Some guys can't and don't ever get along with them. I knew within the first 6" it was the best razor I'd used to that point. After going through a slew of razors, it's still at #3. I have two complete BB sets in Jet black and 24kt.

I narrowed my razor artisans down to two. However, right now, there are some incredibly good razor by several top notch artisans. Something for every taste and budget. Fun times for us.

The Jet and 24k Gold, nice! Do you have all OC or SB for your BB? If both, how do they compare? I have a SB and want to try the OC... you know for science.

I have been lucky and tried most razors I've wanted to. Right now the only ones on the list to try are a polished BB OC and a high gapped (0.86) WR1.

Interesting how different we all are...I could not get the Bird to perform well ATG on my head no matter what I did. The Timeless SS95 was better but I felt I should like it a lot more than my $50-$150 razors which I really didn't. I've ended up keeping the Timeless Bronze and Blackland Dart both of which excel where the Bird didn't, and both I find superior to the Timeless 95 when the going gets tough. The Karve D/F is not quite in the same league for me.

Interesting how different we all are...I could not get the Bird to perform well ATG on my head no matter what I did. The Timeless SS95 was better but I felt I should like it a lot more than my $50-$150 razors which I really didn't. I've ended up keeping the Timeless Bronze and Blackland Dart both of which excel where the Bird didn't, and both I find superior to the Timeless 95 when the going gets tough. The Karve D/F is not quite in the same league for me.

Interesting (to me) that you didn't like the BB but like the Dart. I found them quite similar and really liked them both, but found the Dart was a tad less efficient, which gave me a false sense of security that I had to be weary of. So just interesting that one worked while the other didn't. I only sold the Dart to pay off a larger purchase but I have been missing it ever since. I might have to put it back on the wish list.

Interesting (to me) that you didn't like the BB but like the Dart. I found them quite similar and really liked them both, but found the Dart was a tad less efficient, which gave me a false sense of security that I had to be weary of. So just interesting that one worked while the other didn't. I only sold the Dart to pay off a larger purchase but I have been missing it ever since. I might have to put it back on the wish list.
To me the difference, as with most razors, is magnified when going ATG on my head. The Blackbird was simply tuggy where the Dart tugs not at all. I contend the Dart clamps the blade more rigidly to explain the difference. Shane at Blackland demurs but then he doesn't shave my head. I believe the Timeless Bronze to be superior for the same reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To me the difference, as with most razors, is magnified when going ATG on my head. The Blackbird was simply tuggy where the Dart tugs not at all. I contend the Dart clamps the blade more rigidly to explain the difference. Shane at Blackland demurs but then he doesn't shave my head. I believe the Timeless Bronze to be superior for the same reason.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response, that all makes sense. The Dart I recall clamps the blade at either edge. I hardly ever go truly ATG the grain with any razor, so some of these nuances are lost on me :)

The Jet and 24k Gold, nice! Do you have all OC or SB for your BB? If both, how do they compare? I have a SB and want to try the OC... you know for science.

I have been lucky and tried most razors I've wanted to. Right now the only ones on the list to try are a polished BB OC and a high gapped (0.86) WR1.

I have both plates, with both sets. The OC has more blade feel and is slightly more efficient. It's actually one of the few OCs I like. I still like the SB better as it's a gentler ride.

The BB is terribly polarizing. That's a small part of the appeal to me. I think it's awesome that some of the loudest voices can't use them...but will be critical of the technique of those who can.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you for that wonderful comparison of all 3 razors. In fact, I just ordered a brand new Blackbird Safety Bar and it should arrive by this Friday. I hope it lives up to the high praises. I chosen the BB over the Karve SS, guess I have to email them to take me out of the waiting list. Once again, thank you and kind Regards. Happy Shaving!

Can anyone offer comparison between BB OC and Fatip (mk1 or Mk2)? Similar kind of feel and results? I imagine the BB is smoother, but the Fatip Mk1 I shaves with this morning gave me a great shave with bbs in 2 passes.

Thank you for that wonderful comparison of all 3 razors. In fact, I just ordered a brand new Blackbird Safety Bar and it should arrive by this Friday. I hope it lives up to the high praises. I chosen the BB over the Karve SS, guess I have to email them to take me out of the waiting list. Once again, thank you and kind Regards. Happy Shaving!

Excellent. The good news is the BB comes with a 30 day guarantee. If you can't get it to work, send it back and get your money back. Then, you can try something different. I got a feeling you will like the Blackbird. If you are a ride the cap kinda guy, you might struggle. If you do, move towards riding the guard. I find the BB likes to be ridden on the guard. Then again, I think they all like to be ridden on the guard. Shave in silence and listen to it cut. You'll dial it in.

Some guys do struggle tho. Too bad, it's a great shaver. Can't go wrong with trying it out for free.

Top Bottom