What's new

Blackbird OC - my long road to loving the bird

That's just it. Perfect shave every single time. It's crazy that I'm still amazed by it after every shave.

I'm a daily shaver too and it's not bad at all. Just give it a fair tryout and you might reach for it again and again like me.

I’m a daily shaver as well. I had the SB and OC, but I sold the SB because the OC is smoother. The only problem is that the OC is too aggressive for me to use daily. I should have kept the SB. I haven’t used it near as much since getting rid if it. I only use it if I skip a day or more, which doesn’t happen much.

The Timeless 95OC was my first modern razor. It is a great shaver and a great value. I did, eventually sell it.

The Karve, and I'll get roasted here, I bought one with the D and E plate. I used the E plate one time. It provided an excellent shave and an even better value than the Timeless, IMO. You can get a Karve and how many plates at the same price as Timeless? (Rhetorical). I did not and could not get along with the matte finish and at the time, I had a slew of top notch modern razors in my den and there were at least 5 or 6 razors I liked better. I sold the Karve immediately.

The BB is an odd duck. Some guys can't and don't ever get along with them. I knew within the first 6" it was the best razor I'd used to that point. After going through a slew of razors, it's still at #3. I have two complete BB sets in Jet black and 24kt.

I narrowed my razor artisans down to two. However, right now, there are some incredibly good razor by several top notch artisans. Something for every taste and budget. Fun times for us.
Very interesting review, I enjoyed
Reading the post.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve been using my SB Bird for the past couple of weeks. To be blunt: it’s freaking brilliant. I eagerly await the arrival of my OC plate.

I’ve been using my SB Bird for the past couple of weeks. To be blunt: it’s freaking brilliant. I eagerly await the arrival of my OC plate.

Excellent news. I'm glad you dialed the SB in. It really is a great shaver and if you can add a WR2 125SB to the mix, you can save yourself a lot of time and energy chasing the "perfect" razor because, IMO, you'd have two of the very best razors.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the OC plate.

Very interesting review, I enjoyed
Reading the post.

Thanks mate!

Hannah's Dad

Excellent news. I'm glad you dialed the SB in. It really is a great shaver and if you can add a WR2 125SB to the mix, you can save yourself a lot of time and energy chasing the "perfect" razor because, IMO, you'd have two of the very best razors.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the OC plate.

Thanks mate!
James, I am amazed at the Bird’s cutting efficiency with only one or two passes. And the handle, despite it’s lack of knurling, is remarkably ‘grippy’. Finally, that sweet high-pitched sound the Bird makes when cutting is really something. Thanks again for putting this razor on my radar. And you’re right ... as soon as I can score a Wolf ... my razor acquisition days will be numbered.

I’m a daily shaver as well. I had the SB and OC, but I sold the SB because the OC is smoother. The only problem is that the OC is too aggressive for me to use daily. I should have kept the SB. I haven’t used it near as much since getting rid if it. I only use it if I skip a day or more, which doesn’t happen much.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of....but knowing me I'm going to order the OC baseplate anyway just to try. Hopefully it will work out great.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of....but knowing me I'm going to order the OC baseplate anyway just to try. Hopefully it will work out great.
I didn’t say don’t order it . I just said it might be too much for daily shaving. There’s nothing wrong with having both.

I wonder if you are going to have the same roller coaster ride as me. Not liking it to liking it to having it beat out all other razors.

This thread was fun to read. I can’t tell you how many customers initially hate the Blackbird and then it becomes their favorite razor after a few more shaves. I get these emails a lot. This is why I have a return policy. Razors have to be used for several shaves before you can reach a conclusion.

Here are my two favourites (sorry for the less-than-stellar quality), which these two has killed a lot of my RAD.
Resized_20190204_213516(1).jpg

I was firmly in the rigidity camp and delayed getting a Blackbird for months until someone had one that they wanted to trade with for a razor I had. I had Timeless and a Dart, which made me realize I get better shaves when the curvature of the blade is greater and it is amendable to my propensity to shave at a steep angle (handle near the face, or parallel with the face). I still like rigid razors but I now look at the full package (curvature, rigidity, etc.).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This thread was fun to read. I can’t tell you how many customers initially hate the Blackbird and then it becomes their favorite razor after a few more shaves. I get these emails a lot. This is why I have a return policy. Razors have to be used for several shaves before you can reach a conclusion.
Good idea. First impressions of anything can be extremely deceiving.

Hannah's Dad

My first shave with the OC Bird is in the books. I used a Feather blade (2), M&M Claddagh soap and splash, and my newly-acquired Paladin Lotus select badger brush.

My attempt to load with the Paladin failed miserably. I am so used to synthetics just loading and lathering; I can’t tell whether I had too much soap or too much water, or whether the Paladin just eats up more soap than I expected. So, I quickly dipped my Graydog synthetic brush in warm water, loaded from the puck and lathered up.

First pass with the OC was not as comfortable as with the SB. The ‘song pitch’ while cutting is even higher with the OC (which I enjoy), but I could definitely feel more blade. That said, it certainly removed my beard like few others after one pass. It reminded me of my first few shaves with the Muhle R41.

The XTG was similar — felt some drag and it just lacked the same smoothness as with the SB.

I didn’t go ATG - I really didn’t need it. My face was very smooth and the stubble was history. The alcohol splash revealed some burn, which confirmed the sharpness of the Feather.

So, my conclusion is that I need to work with this OC Bird some more. I’ll tame it, just as I did with the SB.
D7D530CD-2C05-40D0-990D-7CFCC3677F76.jpeg

My first shave with the OC Bird is in the books. I used a Feather blade (2), M&M Claddagh soap and splash, and my newly-acquired Paladin Lotus select badger brush.

My attempt to load with the Paladin failed miserably. I am so used to synthetics just loading and lathering; I can’t tell whether I had too much soap or too much water, or whether the Paladin just eats up more soap than I expected. So, I quickly dipped my Graydog synthetic brush in warm water, loaded from the puck and lathered up.

First pass with the OC was not as comfortable as with the SB. The ‘song pitch’ while cutting is even higher with the OC (which I enjoy), but I could definitely feel more blade. That said, it certainly removed my beard like few others after one pass. It reminded me of my first few shaves with the Muhle R41.

The XTG was similar — felt some drag and it just lacked the same smoothness as with the SB.

I didn’t go ATG - I really didn’t need it. My face was very smooth and the stubble was history. The alcohol splash revealed some burn, which confirmed the sharpness of the Feather.

So, my conclusion is that I need to work with this OC Bird some more. I’ll tame it, just as I did with the SB.
View attachment 1002623

Great write up. I'll be curious which you prefer after you get a few more shaves in with the OC.

@Hannah's Dad, how are you liking the OC baseplate for the BB? Assuming you've used it a few more times.

I ended up trading my SB for an OC with someone at B&B. It's only been three shaves but I couldn't be happier with the OC. I found it's got a bit more bit when riding the guard but similar feel when riding the cap, however I have actually found it to be a bit smoother than the SB. I think I like the audio feedback of the SB a bit better though. Both the SB and OC are winners in my book!

Resized_20190810_065302.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20190810_065313 (1).jpeg
    Resized_20190810_065313 (1).jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 15

Hannah's Dad

@Hannah's Dad, how are you liking the OC baseplate for the BB? Assuming you've used it a few more times.

I ended up trading my SB for an OC with someone at B&B. It's only been three shaves but I couldn't be happier with the OC. I found it's got a bit more bit when riding the guard but similar feel when riding the cap, however I have actually found it to be a bit smoother than the SB. I think I like the audio feedback of the SB a bit better though. Both the SB and OC are winners in my book!

View attachment 1006781
I am still getting used to the OC, @ShavingPanda . I hope to achieve your results, because I do typically prefer OCs. As of now, I find the SB just a bit smoother. That could change, however. I like to go very steep with the Bird. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always.

P.S. The black oxide looks so bad@$$!

Top Bottom