What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

I'm still in, but decided on a couple of substitutions...

Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue (2020 Tech) - AliExpress ($3.24)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (100-pack) - Amazon ($7.56)
Brush: Omega Pro 49 (10049) - Amazon ($9.49)
Soap: Arko Shaving Soap Stick - Amazon ($3.88)
Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold - Amazon ($5.48)
TOTAL: $29.65

View attachment 1242625

I had some Duke Cannon that I wanted to finish so I can get to some of my other balms, but the cost put me over the $30 budget. I considered switching to the $1.49 Williams Mug Soap, but I really wanted to 3017 the Arko (along with some Cella, MWF, and Proraso) this year. Then I remembered the Omega 10049 price should be less than $10, so...

The only item in this setup that gives me pause is the razor. I have experience with the rest and know what to expect. I'm counting on the Tech being a Tech and I'm hoping for the best.
No worries on the Tech, it’s milder than a prewar but it works fine.

Its pretty slick and lather bomb. Its very scent and a kind of English scent..

Thanks for the info. I've used a few Indian shaving creams, Mr Vicco, the lemon Dettol one and the original Old Spice (these were all finished or PIF'd). I've read the Yardley one is one of the better ones, and there is a gap for an Indian shaving cream lacking in my rotation.

There are some excellent wet shaving products in India.

What is an English scent? Any chance to source Indian shaving creams in Europe?

Only from eBay AKAIK.

Thanks for the info. I've used a few Indian shaving creams, Mr Vicco, the lemon Dettol one and the original Old Spice (these were all finished or PIF'd). I've read the Yardley one is one of the better ones, and there is a gap for an Indian shaving cream lacking in my rotation.

There are some excellent wet shaving products in India.

Only from eBay AKAIK.
I heard Godrej was quite en vogue here a couple of years ago.

So... Just a few days left of the March fixed four set, and then on to April's budget-fixed set!!

So I already have the razor (Baili 191), the brush (Anbbas) and I'm picking up a fresh tube of Palmolive at the supermarket in the afternoon on the first.

So all that's left to decide is which blade to lock-in...
Having found nothing to quibble with my March set, I'm tempted to lock in a less than great blade just to introduce a little extra challenge (not something I hate, but something I probably wouldn't reach for normally either)... Perhaps literally an "extra" challenge?

First shave of April - this is no joke :c9: @BubblesUK

IMG_0371.jpg

Pre:-
Razor: P&C China Super Blue Tech
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver stainless 1st use
Brush: Omega Boar
Cream: La Toja original
Result: DFS+ bordering BBS

So first shave in. I was totally biased that I won't like the hollow plastic handle of the Tech. Guess what, it's grippy, balances nicely and works very well together with the light head. La Toja lathers super easy and is quite forgiving. My lather was today a touch to airy but I only missed a bit of residual slickness duing the last clean-ups. The scent is a bit fresher/martim than say Palmolive but both have that clean soapiness (no burnt cig scent as somebody feared). Facefeel from the AS after drydown is excellent. The blade started nice and crisp and smoothed out already in the first shave, let's see how long it will last.

If it wouldn't be a hobby for me, this setup would still turn a chore into a pleasent daily experience.

If you like to spread the joy keep some Super Blues at hand to give away to aspiring DE shavers. I belive it's a better deal than the plastic Wilkie.

AFFCC : Thursday, April 1, 2021

Blade # 1
Shave # 1
AFFCC Shave # 1

First shave with the new AFFCC setup.
Like the FFFMM challenge I want to really put a $20 basic razor, blade, brush and shave cream to the test.

Willy's is a new blade brand for me. I've heard some good things about this blade here have around 150 of them which came with my Pearl Flexi Adjustable and now the basic Pearl OC/SB razor combo with resin handle in the Indian flag colors.

The Pearl OC is an old and famous head used by many early wet shaving vendors like Razorock, HTGAM, Shave a Buck, and many more in the early days of wet shaving.

It's aggressive and notorious for blade alignment issues. Each time the blade needs adjustment once you drop it in, however it's am amazing razor once you have the blade all aligned. The blade tabs are exposed for the adjustment and will need to take care to avoid nicking my ear lobe with it !

I've picked up a few $1 creams available locally like Yardley, Vicco, Godrej, Dettolans they all fit in the budget so will rotate them.

A Pearl Synthetic brush which is not particularly dense and more like an 18mm synthetic came with the razor, which will be used for the month.

A marble shave bowl as I don't face lather shave creams also in the budget.

Alum block and a Witch hazel alcohol based cologne scented after shave completes the setup!

Shave # 1

Yardley cream today.

A generous dollop lathered up quite well with the brush. The lather while not Tabac quality is plenty thick and slick, better than many expensive creams priced many times more.

To unlearn from the 21 FFFMM shaves, I took the first few strokes slowly.

Boy ! This is one sharp and smooth blade. It made the first pass effortless. Took some adjustment to the angle as this is an aggressive head.

Very smooth three pass shave !

Alum gave some sting on the neck telling me I had to work on my technique with this combo.

Splash of After shave and it was BBS all over!

Hope to see more participants in this challenge. Will be interesting to see the setup and challenges overcome !

20210401_175020.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Baili 191 (Amazon) = £8.99
Brush: "Anbbas" synth (AliE) = £5.45
Blades: Derby Extra 2x5 blades (eBay) = £1.49
Soap: Palmolive cream (Sainsbury's) = £2
Alum block (Amazon) = £2.37

Grand total of... £20.30 from a maximum of approximately £22

No aftershave splash/balm, just the good old alum block.

And I couldn't help the pun - my "extra" challenge is to use a very average blade, the Derby Extra.

In theory I could add a tuck of something else for £1.70 or less, but that's a last resort!!

I totally forgot about the Derby Extra blades. I could have gone with the bare minimum (P&G Tech, Derby Extra, Williams, Omega 10049, and Dove moisturizer) and still had some lunch money. I think that will be my setup next year (unless we do this again in August), but first I need to get through the next 30 shaves. Good luck to all...

Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Omega Pro 49 (10049)
Soap: Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold

First shave of the AFFCC for me went surprisingly well. I had forgotten just how easy Arko is to lather and the Omega had it doing its thing in no time at all. The GSB Tech was the unknown factor and I am quite pleased. I couldn't agree more with @Multum in parvo regarding the lightweight head and handle being a nice match. The razor will never be mistaken for a Wolfman, Timeless, or Karve, but you can get one for less the five bucks and have enough change for a cup of coffee at your local gas station.

I often think about what my answer would be if someone with no experience shaving with a DE razor came to me and asked for a starter kit. I once believed a reasonable starting budget would be around $50, but I've since lowered that a bit. Not knowing how long they would be willing to stick with it and therefore would want to keep the initial cost as low as possible, I would have suggested picking up a used Tech from the 'bay for no more than ten dollars. Now, I would easily suggest this razor, a puck of Williams (or give them one of my many sticks of Arko), an inexpensive (not cheap) boar or synthetic brush, and some decent blades (I'd probably throw in a tuck or two in an effort to reduce my stash). Thanks @BubblesUK for starting this thread; my month of shaves is off to a really good start.

So here's my final pick... First shave report coming up in a while 😁

20210401_221507.jpg

As mentioned before, this leaves me £1.70 left over so if the Derby Extra turn out to be a poor match for the Baili or if something else catches my eye for cheap then I might add it...

Then again, if I'm as lucky with shave #1 as my fellow frugals have been then I probably won't need to!

AFFCC 2021 - Day 1, Shave 1.

Razor: Baili 191
Blade: Derby Extra
Brush: Anbbas synthetic
Soap: Palmolive.
After: Alum only.

You know what, I'm with you guys - I'm off to a winning start, too! 🍻🍻

I had a couple of minor concerns with my setup - not to the extent that I'd struggle to get through with it, but having found FFFMM a bit straightforward as a result of safe choices I deliberately decided to live a little more dangerously.

The Derby Extra was one such pick - I do think their reputation as blunt and tuggy is slightly outdated, but they're still a very average blade for me, a baseline of what's usable as it were...

No, the real concern was that the combination of the unexceptional blade with a mild razor might be pushing in the direction of ineffective and make me work hard for a close finish.

I'm pleasantly surprised that no, not a bit of it!! Whilst not BBS (I wasn't chasing tonight anyway), I had a very comfortable DFS with minimal buffing which didn't register any irritation with the Alum.

The brush was a complete unknown to me and the other risk...
However, I'd decided it had to be a synth and this was the cheapest I could find that looked like a reasonable bet - but what would it really be like to use? Having not bothered with an earlier suggestion to try it out, I went in today without any experience of it and whilst the tips aren't the softest and it's quite keen to fling it's perfectly usable - not a million miles away from my Omega S-brush (S10005) in both regards, really, and it had no trouble whatsoever in whipping up the Palmolive into a decent lather (not that it's ever been a difficult cream for me to begin with).

I'd had this Baili head before on a slightly grippier handle - getting it on this one was purely for the sake of the difference...
I thought it might be too lacking in grip and possibly too long too - in practice though, whilst it's not a grippy handle by any means I honestly didn't notice that in use and the extra length translates into a feeling of a little more weight which I like (not having the 176 anymore I can't weigh both handles to find out, but this feels a little more weighty at least!)

There's definitely room to explore a bit, but I'm starting from a good place!

Last edited:
Hi,

I can go back to my beginning. Razor Is a Pre-War Tech handed to me from Dad (still have it). Same with the brush, a Rubberset (still have it). I also have a mug of Old Spice I got when he passed in 1995 which I use only once in a blue moon. And a second mug I discovered after Mom passed in 2016. So, I could Old Spice it up for the month

So, all I'd need are two of my Med Prep blades for the month. I change on the 1st and the 16th of each month. So, what are two Med Preps worth?

That's my total cost for this event. Two blades. ;)

Stan

Hi,

I can go back to my beginning. Razor Is a Pre-War Tech handed to me from Dad (still have it). Same with the brush, a Rubberset (still have it). I also have a mug of Old Spice I got when he passed in 1995 which I use only once in a blue moon. And a second mug I discovered after Mom passed in 2016. So, I could Old Spice it up for the month

So, all I'd need are two of my Med Prep blades for the month. I change on the 1st and the 16th of each month. So, what are two Med Preps worth?

That's my total cost for this event. Two blades. ;)

Stan

As great a setup as this is (one I could happily lock in for a month), it's not really what this event is about - using things you already have is fine, but they have to be budgeted for as if you were buying them new today.

So on the basis that you can't buy a prewar Tech brand new anymore that couldn't be picked... Etc.

I'd definitely be up for playing this again (later in the year perhaps?) with vintage items at the prices they can be found for used.
But this April is all about a cheap setup that could be set up from scratch, brand new, either for recommendations for beginners or for travel etc (obviously vintage would be relevant for many of us, but for the uninitiated used shaving implements can be a no-go).

Reactions: Cal
AFFCC : Friday, April 2, 2021

Blade # 1
Shave # 2
AFFCC Shave # 2

Razor : Pearl A-141 Tiranga (Indian tri-color) open comb

Blade : Willy's premium
Cream : Yardley of London Aloe Vera
Brush: Pearl Synthetic

Post shave: Alum block + Sacred Earth Aftershave

Shave # 2 was one of the smoothest shave I have had with any razor.

The blade is extremely sharp and smooth. It gave me a BBS with two passes and some touch up.

The aggressive Pearl OC head felt like it has no blade in it as I effortlessly moved it around my face with zero resistance from any stubble. The razor just glided on the wonderful Yardley's slick and cushiony lather.

Surprisingly - Post shave Alum gave me terrible sting on the neck area, which is when I realised that the aggressive OC head plus the super smooth blade had efficiently removed not only stubble but some of the epidermis too !

The irritation was not bad technique, just a super sharp and smooth blade.

The Yardley shave cream has a lovely cologne scent with a cool face feel. The lather is extremely slick with a lost of residual slickness and cushion.

I didn't realise that I have "over shaved" my face in just two passes combining of all the above.

This is one block buster combo I've discovered and can see the rest of my AFFCC shaves to be fun shaves with this setup.

The sacred earth witch hazel, tea tree and menthol aftershave is perfect for the warm Indian Summer morning shave.

I realise why the Pearl OC head was so legendary with artisan razor makers in the early days of wet shaving and it still maintains that reputation.

If the makers of Willy's get their blade in to global distribution, I am sure it will make it to a top tier value for money blade.

Good shaves gentlemen!

20210402_185947.jpg

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think I just blew the budget.....

Razor: Mühle Rose Gold R41 $48.00
Blade: Feather (2) $5.00
Brush: Omega Tortoise 23/55 $75.50
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum $13.60
ASL: Aqua Velva $4.68
Witch hazel $4.79
Nivea Sensitive balm $4.98

Total $156.55

20210401_201610[1].jpg

I had all my gear for the AFFCC laid out and ready, honest. :letterk1:

But the R41 had been sitting in my den for almost 3 months and the temptation was too great, and I sure wasn't gonna cheap out on the software for this beast!

I had all my gear for the AFFCC laid out and ready, honest. :letterk1:

But the R41 had been sitting in my den for almost 3 months and the temptation was too great, and I sure wasn't gonna cheap out on the software for this beast!

The primary goal is to show it can be done, be satisfying and show off some of the cheap options available...

So I don't really have a problem with someone starting a day late or having a little cheat on a special occasion - the challenge is personal, but the display of what can be used and satisfy enthusiasts (almost everyone on a forum like this) is educational as well so I'd be mad to chastise anyone interested in joining in.

Having run straight on from FFFMM has made it especially challenging - I've picked up a few very usable looking New types that I'm looking forward to trying, I'm not planning to have a cheat but I do understand the temptation!! 🤣

April 1 Shave

Brush: Bassion Hand Crafted Shaving Brush $9.99
After Shave: Old Spice $6.50
Soap: Col. Conk Bay Rum $4.63
Razor: Super Gillette Blue Blades $3.24
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword $2.70
Soap Bowl: Tupperware container taken from kitchen cabinet (my wife has some round ones that are wonderful.)

That puts me at $27.06.
IMG_20210401_092555113~2.jpg

April 1 shave while camping. The light in the camper is horrible and I was using my wife's travel mirror. These challenges made shaving difficult. I made the best of the situation and had an enjoyable shave.

Col. Conk soaps do not lather well for me. I do not find the soap very slick and it dose not seem to provide a lot of cushion for me. I do find it perfectly adequate to shave with, it is just not my first choice when picking a shave soap. I had forgotten how nice the Col Conk Bay Rum soap smells. While I find the scent to be light, it does linger through the majority of the day. I also like the after shave feel of this soap. It left my face feeling conditioned all day long.

I really like this inexpensive razor. It is very well balanced and shaves much better than its price point would suggest. I am also of the opinion that it would be a great razor for a new wet shaver. I think the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade is a perfect match for this razor.

I had a DFS under less than perfect conditions. Can't wait to get home and put this kit to work in a more comfortable environment. It should be a easy month with this kit!

Top Bottom