What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

Soo.. my Anbbas brush finally showed up from AliEx!

The tips feel soft enough and I can feel a lot of backbone to it - it doesn't feel the most refined of tools, but I'm sure we'll get along just fine (due to FFFMM I can't test it before April 1st!!).

The full kit is in, therefore, the only question left is which blades to lock into for the month... Still can't quite decide for certain what I'm going to choose 😂 I think the prospect of having a choice is tantalising enough that I don't want to lock it in yet 😂😂😂

Soo.. my Anbbas brush finally showed up from AliEx!

The tips feel soft enough and I can feel a lot of backbone to it - it doesn't feel the most refined of tools, but I'm sure we'll get along just fine (due to FFFMM I can't test it before April 1st!!).

The full kit is in, therefore, the only question left is which blades to lock into for the month... Still can't quite decide for certain what I'm going to choose 😂 I think the prospect of having a choice is tantalising enough that I don't want to lock it in yet 😂😂😂

Photos !

I'm in!

Brush: Synthetic 2-Band (aka Tuxedo) - Stirling Soap Company ($13.99)
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (100-pack) - Amazon ($7.56)
Soap: Arko Shave Stick - Amazon ($3.88)
Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue (2020 Tech) - AliExpress ($3.24)
Balm: Dove Men + Care Ultra - Hydra Cream - Walgreens ($1.00)
TOTAL: $29.67

AFFCC.jpg

I can't believe I'm doing this since I was really looking forward to resuming my regular razor and brush rotation in April after participating in the OBiF and FFFMM challenges. I'm also participating in the sabbatical and therefore shouldn't purchase any new gear for a while, so I'm limited to items I have on hand for this challenge. I had other less expensive options for the brush, but none that I would want to use for an entire month. I also had other preferred brushes that cost about the same as the Stirling Tuxedo, but current prices would have blown the $30 budget. I would have gone with Williams Mug Shaving Soap ($1.49 from Walgreens) and saved a couple of bucks, but I had already planned to 3017 a stick of Arko this year, so I'm using it a little ahead of schedule. The price here is more than I would have spent on a single stick (I bought a box of 12 for less than $12), but I listed the current price for the sake of the budget. And I usually follow my shaves with a splash of witch hazel and an aftershave or balm, but that also would have blown the budget. This should be fun. It's only a month. What's the worse that could happen?

Last edited:
I'm in!

Brush: Synthetic 2-Band (aka Tuxedo) - Stirling Soap Company ($13.99)
Soap: Arko Shave Stick - Amazon ($3.88)
Balm: Dove Men + Care Ultra - Hydra Cream - Walgreens ($1.00)
TOTAL: $29.67

View attachment 1241913

I can't believe I'm doing this since I was really looking forward to resuming my regular razor and brush rotation in April after participating in the OBiF and FFFMM challenges. I'm also participating in the sabbatical and therefore shouldn't purchase any new gear for a while, so I'm limited to items I have on hand for this challenge. I had other less expensive options for the brush, but none that I would want to use for an entire month. I also had other preferred brushes that cost about the same as the Stirling Tuxedo, but current prices would have blown the $30 budget. I would have gone with Williams Mug Shaving Soap ($1.49 from Walgreens) and saved a couple of bucks, but I had already planned to 3017 a stick of Arko this year, so I'm using it a little ahead of schedule. The price here is more than I would have spent on a single stick (I bought a box of 12 for less than $12), but I listed the current price for the sake of the budget. And I usually follow my shaves with a splash of witch hazel and an aftershave or balm, but that also would have blown the budget. This should be fun. It's only a month. What's the worse that could happen?

Cool setup. Should be wonderful to use through the month ! A great soap, amazing brush, a solid proven razor and blade!

So wetshaving can save money after all

Look what arrived today!

So I had $30 which is appx. Indian ₹2200

The Frugal April setup is as follows

• Pearl DE razor set which contains
    • Pearl SS01 safety razor closed comb
    • Brass razor stand
    • Samples of shave cream and shave balm
    • 55 plus 11 Willy's blades :p
    • Pearl Synthetic shave brush
    • Set cost: ₹959 ($13.5)
  • Yardley Gold Aloe Vera shave cream : ₹60 (90 cents)
  • Alum block : ₹15 (20 cents)
  • Witch hazel + menthol + aloe vera After shave ₹299 ($4)
  • Marble shave bowl : ₹499 ($7)
Base set cost is appx. $25 for comfortable shaves for atleast 3 to 6 months of daily shaves. I would call it "budget luxury" setup.

I had an additional $5 spare, so added an additional Pearl razor in India flag colors with dual closed and open comb heads for ₹959 ($13)

I will be sticking to the base $25 setup unless some days I decide to put on my Patriotic cap and swap razors ;)

View attachment 1237819View attachment 1237821

What is the Yardley shaving cream like?

Cool setup. Should be wonderful to use through the month ! A great soap, amazing brush, a solid proven razor and blade!

So wetshaving can save money after all
Thanks. And when I think about the fact that for just a few dollars more I could have included the Arko 12-pack (or a kilo of Cella or Vitos) and easily have a setup that would last 2 years or more. So I try not to think about it :)

Last edited:
I'm still in, but decided on a couple of substitutions...

Brush: Omega Pro 49 (10049) - Amazon ($9.49)
Soap: Arko Shaving Soap Stick - Amazon ($3.88)
Balm: Duke Cannon Ice Cold - Amazon ($5.48)
TOTAL: $29.65

20210327_114123.jpg

I had some Duke Cannon that I wanted to finish so I can get to some of my other balms, but the cost put me over the $30 budget. I considered switching to the $1.49 Williams Mug Soap, but I really wanted to 3017 the Arko (along with some Cella, MWF, and Proraso) this year. Then I remembered the Omega 10049 price should be less than $10, so...

The only item in this setup that gives me pause is the razor. I have experience with the rest and know what to expect. I'm counting on the Tech being a Tech and I'm hoping for the best.

Top Bottom