What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2021.

So... If you're interested, let's talk about what's available and if you're in, post "I'm in" 🙂
I'm NOT in... but as Rave @Raven Koenes is taking part it's got to be a crazy idea, and of course ALL crazy ideas are good and to be commended. :cornut:

If I was taking part I'd use the following:
  1. The latest Gillette Tech £2.31. (I use mine with a custom handle, but I could easily use it for a month with its original handle.)
  2. Personna Platinum Chrome 10-Pack £3.20. (As we all know, it's expensive buying small quantities.)
  3. Proraso Red Shaving Foam 50ml £4.85. (Travel Can.)
Total Cost £10.36 ($14.33) which includes shipping separately for all three items.

NOTES:
The latest (Chinese made) Gillette Tech is an excellent razor. Personna Platinum Chromes (Personna Reds, or whatever you want to call them) are my favorite blades. IMO Proraso Red shaving foam is the cream of the crop, obviously no brush is required, and the scent and afterfeel negate the need for any aftershave products.

@BubblesUK if you can grant me a free birthday shave I’m in with the following kit

Given that the point is twofold (personal challenge and an educational demonstration that it can be done satisfactorily) ... it's only one shave, it still demonstrates that you could've done it and that your kit is suitable, so the point is still made.

I don't have a problem with it, personally 👍

I'm NOT in... but as Rave @Raven Koenes is taking part it's got to be a crazy idea, and of course ALL crazy ideas are good and to be commended. :cornut:

Cheers, and fair enough 🙂

I can't deny that switching from one fixed lineup (FFFMM) to a second month with restricted gear makes it an extra challenge... I'm fairly sure by May I'll be desperate to switch around a little bit! 😂😂

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
OK, since the Bali seems to be the razor of choice, and my RR DE1 for $7.99 appears to be the same razor, I will go with my DE1, which was the second razor that I started this wet shaving journey with in January 2019. It came with blades, but they were Derby's.
I hate Derby's.
An upgrade to GSB blades adds $1.29.
Add a bottle of Pinaud Classic Vanilla for $8 and it adds up to 7.99+1.29=$17.28

I already have an Omega 10290 at £5.4 and Vitos Red at £3.6=£9
Converting £9x1.186=$10.67

$10.67+$17.28=$27.95 for a pretty decent kit under $30, and it is already in my den :popc:
20210308_112305[1].jpg

Not quite sure that I'm in.....

OK, since the Bali seems to be the razor of choice, and my RR DE1 for $7.99 appears to be the same razor, I will go with my DE1, which was the second razor that I started this wet shaving journey with in January 2019. It came with blades, but they were Derby's.
I hate Derby's.
An upgrade to GSB blades adds $1.29.
Add a bottle of Pinaud Classic Vanilla for $8 and it adds up to 7.99+1.29=$17.28

I already have an Omega 10290 at £5.4 and Vitos Red at £3.6=£9
Converting £9x1.186=$10.67

$10.67+$17.28=$27.95 for a pretty decent kit under $30, and it is already in my den :popc:
View attachment 1233941
Not quite sure that I'm in.....
Vitos Extra Super Coco is a great soap and if you talk budget 9.49 for 1,000ml is no slouch either.

Okay I'm going to lock in too... As long as my Chinese brush turns up on time.

Razor: Baili 191 (Az) = £8.99
Brush: "Anbbas" synth (AliE) = £5.45
Blades: Treet Platinum SS, 1x5 blades (eBay) = £1.49
Soap: Palmolive cream (Sainsbury's) = £2
Alum block (Az) = £2.37

Grand total of.... £20.30 (max £22)

Going to change the blades from Treet Platinum Stainless to Treet Black Beauties (tuck of 10 =£2.09)

Why?
1) I like them
2) Ten should last the month if I get 3 days each.
3) I've just passed 10 days on a Treet DuraSharp carbon blade (which isn't done yet!) and I'm curious just how far the black beauties will let me push them...

Spices things up a little 🤞

I am going to miss my nice razors. I will miss my Tabac, Vitos, Homemade soap rotation. I will miss my brush selection. I will miss rotating blades. I will gain so much from simply participating in this group activity with all of you wonderful people that I will likely never meet. There is something to be said for great shaves with minimal kit.

I will play. I am part of the March GRUME and plan to be in it in April as well. I am in the yearly Sabbatical, so new purchases are not an option. I could have done this for a lot less money if I did not have to use things I have on hand.

Brush: Bassion Hand Crafted Shaving Brush $9.99 from Amazon (it has gone up since I purchased it)
After Shave: Old Spice from Dollar General $6.50
Soap: Col. Conk Bay Rum $4.63 from Amazon
Razor: Super Gillette Blue Blades $3.24 from Ali Express (new Gillette Tech?)
Blade: 5+1 Gillette Wilkinson Sword $2.70 from Ebay
Soap Bowl: Tupperware container taken from kitchen cabinet (my wife has some round ones that are wonderful.)

That puts me at $27.06.

I am going to miss my nice razors. I will miss my Tabac, Vitos, Homemade soap rotation. I will miss my brush selection. I will miss rotating blades. I will gain so much from simply participating in this group activity with all of you wonderful people that I will likely never meet. There is something to be said for great shaves with minimal kit.

I will play. I am part of the March GRUME and plan to be in it in April as well. I am in the yearly Sabbatical, so new purchases are not an option. I could have done this for a lot less money if I did not have to use things I have on hand.

Brush: Bassion Hand Crafted Shaving Brush $9.99 from Amazon (it has gone up since I purchased it)
After Shave: Old Spice from Dollar General $6.50
Soap: Col. Conk Bay Rum $4.63 from Amazon
Razor: Super Gillette Blue Blades $3.24 from Ali Express (new Gillette Tech?)
Blade: 5+1 Gillette Wilkinson Sword $2.70 from Ebay
Soap Bowl: Tupperware container taken from kitchen cabinet (my wife has some round ones that are wonderful.)

That puts me at $27.06.
Yes it’s a Tech, I will use it as well.
DDF7188F-F8B3-4708-AAD8-E309C45B0375.jpeg

I also have a .99 cent Godrej Shaving Round. If I used that I could use my Maggard brush. To use a Brit term, Crikey, I've got a lot of options. That sounds weird coming from a Dutch Yank...ya hoor, or ya sure in Dutch American colloquialism. :tongue_sm

Ok, you've triggered me now with your suggestions.

I can buy local Indian shave creams for a dollar (godrej, yardley, vicco), Gillette 7OC Super Platinum black tuck of 5 blades for less than a dollar. The shave brush can be a local synthetic

For the razor, a local Indian brand like Romer (sold by GSB as R41 plus), or a Pearl SB or OC ($10)

I can wrap this up for less than half of the $30 budget !

Final list to be made and declared in a later post :)

Ok, you've triggered me now with your suggestions.

I can buy local Indian shave creams for a dollar (godrej, yardley, vicco), Gillette 7OC Super Platinum black tuck of 5 blades for less than a dollar. The shave brush can be a local synthetic

For the razor, a local Indian brand like Romer (sold by GSB as R41 plus), or a Pearl SB or OC ($10)

I can wrap this up for less than half of the $30 budget !

Final list to be made and declared in a later post :)

Love it, just goes to show how different markets can be!

Question:

Am I allowed to buy multiple items within $30 or just one item per razor, brush, cream, blade and AS ?

Amongst multiple options on Amazon India., I found an interesting combo - a Pearl shave set for $12 which includes a razor, stand, brush, a shave cream and balm sample and 50 blades !

The shave cream sample will hardlt last more than a few shaves, so I'll order my favorite shave cream - Vicco sandalwood and turmeric for a dollar.

I believe this razor handle along with the Pearl OC head was the first Razorock Jaws (2013), HTGAM OC open symmetry and shave a buck razor.
It will be awesome to shave with the SB version with such legacy behind it.

Screenshot_20210315-211222_Amazon.jpg

Last edited:
Am I allowed to buy multiple items within $30 or just one item per razor, brush, cream, blade and AS ?

As many of each as you can fit within budget - for many that might just be one item of each, but it doesn't have to be 🙂

The idea is that to play as if you're starting a new den from scratch and have $30 to start with.

So if you want to use cheaper items and have variety that's great - and it'll be interesting to see which cheap items provide satisfaction and which don't!!

Not that I'm going to participate in this in April, but were I to do so, here's my setup (from my actual shave den):
Razor: Lord L5 ($5.25)
Soap: Williams Mug Soap ($1.49)
Brush: Van der Hagen Pure Badger ($4.99)
Blades: Asco Platinum 100 pack ($5.00)
Alum block: Generic Indian market brand ($2.00)
AS Splash: Aqua Velva ($4.77)
AS Balm: Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm ($4.98)

Total: $28.48

I'll try my luck, afterall it seems like a crazy idea to me.

Only thing I'm not sure if it'll work or not is the razor :
Pearl SS 09 and Romer 7 CS 11

They both give me inconsistent shaves and that actually led me to purchase the RazoRock razors.

I'll use these razors this month just to see if my technique have improved or not.

Probable Set-up : #1 (Total = $24,7)

Pearl SS 09 razor ($7)

Stirling Inquity for Her ($8)

Pearl Synthetic brush ($7)

Wilkinson Sword blades tuck ($0,20)

Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm ($2,5)

Probable set-up #2 (Total = $27,3)

Romer-7 CS 11 ($8)

Vitos Extra Super Coco ($4)

Omega 10098 ($12)

Gillette 7 O'clock Black ($0,80)

Anherb ASC ($2,5)

Question :
Since this exercise is to be taken as -
" The idea is that to play as if you're starting a new den from scratch and have $30 to start with "

I'm a beginner with hardly 6 months experience in proper wet shaving, I've received some PIF from fellow B&B members.

So can I use a one item from the items from PIF ?

Look what arrived today!

So I had $30 which is appx. Indian ₹2200

The Frugal April setup is as follows

• Pearl DE razor set which contains
    • Pearl SS01 safety razor closed comb
    • Brass razor stand
    • Samples of shave cream and shave balm
    • 55 plus 11 Willy's blades :p
    • Pearl Synthetic shave brush
    • Set cost: ₹959 ($13.5)
  • Yardley Gold Aloe Vera shave cream : ₹60 (90 cents)
  • Alum block : ₹15 (20 cents)
  • Witch hazel + menthol + aloe vera After shave ₹299 ($4)
  • Marble shave bowl : ₹499 ($7)
Base set cost is appx. $25 for comfortable shaves for atleast 3 to 6 months of daily shaves. I would call it "budget luxury" setup.

I had an additional $5 spare, so added an additional Pearl razor in India flag colors with dual closed and open comb heads for ₹959 ($13)

I will be sticking to the base $25 setup unless some days I decide to put on my Patriotic cap and swap razors ;)

20210317_192954.jpg
20210317_191615.jpg

Last edited:
$30 isn't too challenging :001_smile

Let's try with $20

Razor Wilkinson Classic + a tuck of Wilkinson Sword blades €4.20
Proraso Blue Cream (my favorite Proraso in Spring) €1.75
Proraso Professional Brush €4.95
Brut AS €4.95

€15.85 converted to $18.86 (€1=$1,19)

Let's try with $15

Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream €1.09
Omega 10019 Boar Brush €3.95
Cien (Lidl) X-Bolt AS €2.95

€12.19 converted to $14.50 (€1=$1,19)

No shipping, I can get all of the above within walking distance.

$30 isn't too challenging :001_smile

Let's try with $20

Proraso Blue Cream (my favorite Proraso in Spring) €1.75
Proraso Professional Brush €4.95
Brut AS €4.95

€15.85 converted to $18.86 (€1=$1,19)

Let's try with $15

Palmolive Classic Shaving Cream €1.09
Omega 10019 Boar Brush €3.95
Cien (Lidl) X-Bolt AS €2.95

€12.19 converted to $14.50 (€1=$1,19)

No shipping, I can get all of the above within walking distance.
The advantages of living in Bel Paese home of great barbershop soaps/splashes, boar brushes and razors...

With all the savings you could splurge on a nice Fatip piccolo nicelato.

Top Bottom