What's new

Aotearoa (NZ) Pass-around

How's the box going guys?

Loving the box, I had a go with scary, but it takes a lot more effort and a steady hand. Learning curve is steep, and mistakes are bloody!!!
I have tried the single edge and that was a pretty pleasurable shave. And close. Will be posting on soon.

I think i read somewhere on here that single edge razors were suprior in blade ridgity and therefore provided a better shave than double edge setups. Haven't been able to test myself and i don't see many new single edge blades or shavers available.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

There's heaps of Gems and autostrop antiques available at shops and on trade me. More so than double edges which leaves me curious why. Were they more popular or are double edges more in use still?

On another frothing note i had one of those days yesterday where i kept smelling hints of the soap from my morning shave all day. Was really nice. Never thought i'd love soap so much, and certainly never thought i'd find myself typing that. This is a fun hobby and we're super lucky to have such quality and choice available :D

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
how is the beard and all of the beard products? :001_smile

I shaved the beard off a few weeks ago.
When I first started to grow it the wife hated it then a few months in she liked it.

I tried a few different oils.
lambert’s luscious urban beard oil. I like it and the fact it from here in Wellington got bonus points.
Make your Own Now I'm back shaving I should try his shaving soap out as well. I've been meaning to do that for a few years now.

I picked up some oil, balm and beard wax from Honest Amish.
Honest Amish Premium Beard Oil 2oz
While the product was good I did not bond well with the smell.

Then I got a heap of samples from Grave Before Shave. Beard Oil
I like there oil and the scents were very nice. It was nice being able to sample so many of their oils.

Last but not least a sample pack from First Olympian First Olympian
Very nice.

I also picked up some combs and not long before shaving it off some moustache wax.

I think I'll grow another one this winter, may from the end of daylight savings onwards.

Not the best photo but this was a few weeks before I shaved it off I think.

20180808_204613.jpg

Loving the box, I had a go with scary, but it takes a lot more effort and a steady hand. Learning curve is steep, and mistakes are bloody!!!
I have tried the single edge and that was a pretty pleasurable shave. And close. Will be posting on soon.

If the scary one is a straight razor, it does take a bit of time to master but when it final comes together.....bliss.

On another frothing note i had one of those days yesterday where i kept smelling hints of the soap from my morning shave all day. Was really nice. Never thought i'd love soap so much, and certainly never thought i'd find myself typing that. This is a fun hobby and we're super lucky to have such quality and choice available :D

We sure are spoilt for choice. It's the variety that keeps me interested.

Time to move the box on. Really enjoyed the choices. More soaps to try from last time. Scary is very much so. Not ready for that yet. Able to do a great comparison on blades. Schick injector is best in the box razor.
So Cree8ion expect a pm for your address.

Uncle Brian convinced me to pick up a Gem single edge razor from Trademe (they're normally pretty cheap!) after i had a go with one in the box a while back. I now switch between the Gem and the Fatboy depending on mood, and they are very different.

I fancy the Gem is more aggressive than the Fatboy even on it's highest setting so prep work is a must, but the feel is completely different - you've got a lot more control over where the edge is than the Fatboy. Yes, I can end up with some bloody nicks if I'm not paying attention, but the finish is much closer and really enjoyable. Highly recommend picking up a cheap Gem on TM.

Found these blades from ebay/amazon to be good:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Larry - pm if you want to borrow the Gem - I'll barbercide her and drop her in post with some blades (so long as i get her back sometime!)

The 2018 NZ Travelling Box
Uncle Brian - Katikati
FrankD - Wellington
Grue - New Plymouth
Vivasanti - South Canterbury
robphilldog - Auckland
Gnasher40 - Waiuku
cree8ion - Dunners
Fat Larry - Wellington

You can always join in, just add you name to the bottom of the list :) It's been an eventful year for the box but it will continue for 2019 :)

The 2019 NZ Travelling Box
Uncle Brian - Katikati
FrankD - Wellington
Grue - New Plymouth
Vivasanti - South Canterbury
robphilldog - Auckland
Gnasher40 - Waiuku
Fat Larry - Wellington

You can always join in, just add you name to the bottom of the list :)

Sorry was out of earshot for a while. Heading away again in Feb, for the first part of the year, so I’ll check back in April-ish

Happy New Year 2019!

Box arrived today, looking forward to trying some of the razors. What are the two spare DE heads? They don't fit gillette handles.

Fair warning i'm put some Flying Eagle De blades into the box for anyone that wants to experience what is supposed to be one of the worst blades available..

....haven't tried them myself..

Last edited:
"What are the two spare DE heads?"
They were put in on the last round and I have no idea what they fit, might be a good diy progect for a guy with some bar and a set of taps and dies.

Hey guys anyone know when the straight was last honed and lapped? Might give it a go but i don't have any straight equipment.

Top Bottom