What's new

MOP Collar Stays

Anyone have a relatively inexpensive but reliable source of mother of pearl or horn collar stays?

They used to be readily available on Amazon for the low $20s for, I forget, maybe four or five pair, and from other sources. But that brand does not seem to be around anywhere anymore. I have not had good luck with the Kimson, or whatever it is, Vietnamese folks.

Thanks, Barley. Not bad, but $13.80 a pair for the size I would want, compared to the $20 or so I used to pay for three pairs with free Amazon prime shipping. Still better than lots of others out there!

TheShaun

Bejeweled
What's the benefit of MoP collar stays? I have load of brass ones that came with all my CT shirts over the years.

To me they are stiffer than plastic stays and do not become misshapen, but they also do not tear or wear holes in the points if my collars like metal stays sometimes do.

Broken straight razor scales can be made into nice collar stays too depending on the material.

Legion

Staff member
I have to find which box I put them in, but I once made an ivory set out of some damaged razor scales. If you could buy a small MOP sheet (knife supply store?) it would be a pretty easy project.

Thanks for all the sources, but they are all pretty pricey, at least compared to the three pair for low $20s shipped, I used to pay at Amazon.

Good suggestion re just making my own. Horn would be fine. Bone, too, as far as I know.

I am going to have to get better at not losing them! Theoretically one could pay a lot for them given that they are not going to wear out and one/I use them every week day.

They look better too 😉
I agree, but they do not really show, right? I suppose they seem like a small luxury, even if no one sees them or has any idea you are wearing them. Pleasant to touch. Look good in whatever you store them in.

Hmmm. If I were to make my own out of MOP blanks, which seem to be readily available, how does one cut the MOP?

On-line sources seem to refer to using a jewelers saw, which seems like a heck of a lot of work. There is a collar stay punch out there that can supposedly be used to create collar stays from any sheet plastic, old credit cards or whatever. I am guessing there is not way anything that might be that convenient could be used on sheets/blanks of MOP!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I agree, but they do not really show, right? I suppose they seem like a small luxury, even if no one sees them or has any idea you are wearing them. Pleasant to touch. Look good in whatever you store them in.

There are things we wear that are conspicuously on display. A man can take pleasure in these, pay attention to them, and people will be impressed with his attention to style and detail.

And then there are things we wear that nobody else ever sees. Of course, these are good areas to "cut corners" without lessening the public display ...
1710444383055.png

... you really can't tell which of these two gents is wearing $5 Walmart underwear and which is wearing $100 D&G underwear.

Not that there is anything wrong with either approach. But ...

... it's a good way for a gent who cares about his attire to really take it to the next level: attend to the details that nobody else will ever know about. Most guys won't even bother with collar stays at all, and look "good enough" all day long. Only the truly clothes-minded will notice the small difference to the collar that a stay brings ... and they won't be able to tell if you are using the cheap plastic ones or the expensive MOP ones ... or the really expensive, handmade, gilt-edged ones from Hermes.

But you'll know.

But you'll know. You'll know you splurged a bit on yourself, that you didn't cut the corners, and that you went the extra mile to source "the good stuff" rather than just whatever was at hand.

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm. If I were to make my own out of MOP blanks, which seem to be readily available, how does one cut the MOP?

On-line sources seem to refer to using a jewelers saw, which seems like a heck of a lot of work. There is a collar stay punch out there that can supposedly be used to create collar stays from any sheet plastic, old credit cards or whatever. I am guessing there is not way anything that might be that convenient could be used on sheets/blanks of MOP!
No, a punch would crack MOP. When I made mine I cut them slightly oversized with a fine blade on a scroll saw, then tidied them up with sand paper. You can stick the MOP to a piece of thin wood with double sided tape to make it easier to handle.

Thanks for all the sources, but they are all pretty pricey, at least compared to the three pair for low $20s shipped, I used to pay at Amazon.

Good suggestion re just making my own. Horn would be fine. Bone, too, as far as I know.

I am going to have to get better at not losing them! Theoretically one could pay a lot for them given that they are not going to wear out and one/I use them every week day.

They’re not expensive if you don’t loose them! I wear them every weekday and have been using the same ones for years. I ordered a couple of spare sets because a lot of the cost is in shipping. Years latter, I have touched the spares. They don’t wear out. Cost per wear is minimal.

I don’t think it matters that collar stays don’t show. You know when you have a piece of plastic shoved in your shirt collar. When everything is on point you feel different. That feeling shows. It’s the whole package and the little unseen details are often just as important as the ones you can see.

Most guys won't even bother with collar stays at all, and look "good enough" all day long.
That is very, very wrong of them!

I love your whole post, Doc4. Great minds think alike, and we do, too, at least on sartorial matters, and that makes me very happy! I like B&B!

They’re not expensive if you don’t loose them!
Yeah, I know. And I do not know how I have lost probably maybe 18 MOP stays. My shirt laundry did not seem to have them. They let me look through a big box of stays they had collected. Tomo, you are a better man than I.

I don’t think it matters that collar stays don’t show. You know when you have a piece of plastic shoved in your shirt collar. When everything is on point you feel different. That feeling shows. It’s the whole package and the little unseen details are often just as important as the ones you can see.
Yeah, you and Doc4 have it right. I would say that is the way I think, too, and you two expressed it much better than I could have.
You'll know you splurged a bit on yourself, that you didn't cut the corners, and that you went the extra mile to source "the good stuff" rather than just whatever was at hand.
It was not even really a splurge when I could get these things from Amazon for just over $20 a pair. They were nice to my shirts. They were a perfect weight, length, and texture for the purpose. They looked great in the container I keep collar stays in! I would think that if this Amazon brand could sell them for this price at this quality, others could, too. But I am not finding them. I guess Kimson's prices are pretty good, but I have history with them and will never again trust them to do business with.

Thank, Legion for the tips on how to work with MOP. Seems like a lot of work. I admire that you were willing to put in the effort!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It was not even really a splurge when I could get these things from Amazon for just over $20 a pair.

Yes but ...

... compared to $5 for a dozen plastic ones from Ally Exprezz, they are an affordable luxury splurge.

Top Bottom