What's new

Anders' shaving journal

Anders there is a different texture need in lather when shaving with a SR. The lather needs to hold more moisture to promote the slickness that allows the blade to glide. Think about that as you dial in the soap. Drier lather seems to work with DE shaves, but creates problems with SR. You are making nice progress!
Ok, i will think of that next time.

Tried the BIC DE blade yesterday. I believe any irritation felt after the shave was merely burn from the botched SR shave two days ago. Other than that it was a very nice shave. Everything except my chin was BBS and the shave was smooth and nice. This was in my English B-4 Slim twist.

Ordered some new acrylic scales last week from Larry after I found out the scales that came with my sight unseen were warped. Hoping they arrive tomorrow.

Today i tried the Personna Platinum Chrome for the first time. Two passes (WTG and ATG) and touch up yielded almost BBS, with a slight touch of irritation. My lather (Haslinger aloe) was too thick for the first pass to be used with a straight, but as i was using my black handle SS everything was fine.

The scales from whippeddog arrived today. I tried to rescale my razor, and due to my own ineptitude i managed to crack the scales when i was peening it :blush: Put some sports tape on the tang. Maybe i can shave with it like this?

Lathered up with haslinger aloe and shaved with my Pribyl Bros Magnetic 6/8 without scales. Oddly enough it worked pretty well. Took my time and worked up a very nice, hydrated and slick lather. The razor just glided through my stubble and I ended up doing two WTG passes as i didn't feel like tempting fate. I did however nick myself with the tip on my throat, but a little alum closed it up. The alum ended up stinging just a little bit more than after a DE shave, and that i am very happy about.

The one thing i feel i learned from this shave is to really get a nice and slick lather, before this shave i thought my lather was good enough, but this time it really worked (thanks [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION]) and my razor didn't stick to my face the way it normally does.

Today I tried the BIC Platinum Chrome in my English flat bottom tech with a fat handle. Two passes and touch-up yielded a BBS everywhere except my moustache area where i "only" achieved a DFS. This shave gave me more irritation than usual, not sure why.
I also tried to get a really wet lather, and judging by the slickness I believe i at least partially succeded.

Two passes with the Straight razor yielded no irritation, but neither a very close shave. I should also add for future reference that i only use my right hand while SR shaving

Three passes and touch up gave me a complete BBS shave. I used a voskhod (2) in my R-4 black handle SS. Very slight irritation afterwards.

Anders, I'm like you, a right handed shave, always. Nice shave, it's fun to switch back and forth isn't it. Many guys feel their DE skills improve from learning the straight. Do you see a difference?
I really feel no difference in the DE shave, but as i am experimenting with different blades perhaps i am not able to judge really how much my technique has changed/improved.

The reason I asked is many of the guys have reported that their DE technique improved in terms of a lighter touch, more stretching and better angles. I was just curious about your experience. Great shaves!
I haven't been stretching while DE shaving, probably should though.

Two passes WTG and an ATG pass with my R-4 SS and a Personna Plat. Chrome. Nice shave, very little irritation, but the SR didnt give me the closeness i want. I used my Simpson Special in best and Haslinger Aloe

Bought a 5/8 Hugo Köller NOS SR today. Hopefully it shaves good.
Did some research on the brand, and I found out they made gardening tools and shears in Solingen up until 1991 when they where bought out by Puma. Appearently they made some very good knives that guys over at German knife forums seem to like. Hopefully their SRs are as good as their other offerings.
Edit: Also found out they were established in 1861

Last edited:
I should also add that i nicked my ear and another spot just under my nose in today's SR shave. Nothing serious though and the alum block closed the wounds up nicely.

I should like to add that I have complete glass smooth, BBS+ on my right moustache area. And that after only a WTG, XTG and slight touch up, very wet, slick and plentifull lather today.

Top Bottom