What's new

Anders' shaving journal

Todays shave was the usual, with the exception that i used a derby blade instead of Astra SP. It's probably due to my technique, but i can still feel my stubble on areas that previously used to be almost BBS. No irritation though.

Today's shave:

Equipment:
Set 32 English tech
Derby (3)
TOBS coconut
Semogue 1470
Nivea regular aftershave balm

I shimmed my razor for the occasion as the Derby had been extremely inagressive (bad decision!)

Prep: splashed my face with hot water for about 3 min.

First pass: Went nice, i can feel the Derby not being as sharp as the Astras, but it went great this particular pass.
Second pass (XTG): The Derby started showing it's true colours here. I really dont know what happened, but my face started tearing up.
Third pass (ATG): Nothing to say here except PAIN! gonna let my face rest for a while before taking another shave.

Probably saving the derbies until i have mastered basic DE technique, I feel the Astras are so much better for me.

Ok i cheated today. Used a generic disposable two blade razor and hydragel. Bathed before the shave and "lathered up". Standard two pass shave WTG and ATG. the shave wasnt that great, but still better than i get with Derbies/Derbys. Not as great as with the Astras.

Not a Derby fan... they're fine learning blades, but they don't work well for me. Nothing wrong with a relapse every once in a while! I wonder how much your routine has improved using the disposable, if at all...

Ok so getting really lazy updating the journal. I really think i am on to something with the Haslinger as its the slickest soap ever! Threw away the Derby and shaved again with the Astra. Two pass shave (WTG, ATG), though i probably could have gotten away with a single WTG pass. My beard is so light and my skin so tough that even with my newbie technique i dont really get irritation, though i have been noticing that shaving my neck WTG is a little difficult. And shaving XTG on my neck is no go as i really can seem to smooth out my throat enough so that the razor edges do not nick me.

Ok so getting really lazy updating the journal. I really think i am on to something with the Haslinger as its the slickest soap ever! Threw away the Derby and shaved again with the Astra. Two pass shave (WTG, ATG), though i probably could have gotten away with a single WTG pass. My beard is so light and my skin so tough that even with my newbie technique i dont really get irritation, though i have been noticing that shaving my neck WTG is a little difficult. And shaving XTG on my neck is no go as i really can seem to smooth out my throat enough so that the razor edges do not nick me.
Hei, Anders. Hvor handler du kremer og såper? Ebay?

Threw away the Astra after 14 shaves. Shaved again with the Fusion and thought i had BBS on parts of my face. Shaved again with a new Astra yesterday and wow! Completely BBS on my upper lip. Dont know what to say. I didnt notice the blade getting dull, but i really noticed the difference when i changed.

Last edited:
Got my first true BBS the other day using a schick slim twin. I'm blown away! I'll start looking into two blade/non pivot carts like trac II and schick super II, maybe they are just my thing...

Moving next week so i packed away most of my shaving stuff except a can of red foamy and my Fusion. Shaves are nice, but not what i have come to enjoy. The fusion gives me perfect, irritation free 1.5 pass shaves and it's so easy it's like cheating. The price however on the refills are insane. 30 USD (254 NOK) for a pack of proglides at my local supermarket!!!!!

I managed it! True BBS.

Equipment:
R-4 black handle SS
Personna "lab blue"
palmolive cream
simpson special in best

I shaved after a shower so that was basically my prep. I started my first pass WTG, everything went fine. I think this razor/blade combo might be the smoothest i have ever tried, though the "med preps" might be a little better. Second pass was XTG and then i followed up with an ATG pass. I wasn't satisfied with this so i lathered up one more time and conducted a second ATG pass and finally I can say that i have achieved true BBS, even on my chin, wich before was rather difficult to shave cleanly.

Today's shave:

Equipment:
R-4 Black handle SS
GSB (1)
Haslinger Aloe
Simpson special in best

Basically i used the same four pass technique as the last shave (WTG, XTG, ATG and ATG) as before and the same result, maybe evewn better. That GSB sure is a smooth blade! I will see if i can shorten my shave to a WTG, ATG and ATG or only two passes ATG. I have also changed my routine from evening shaves to morning shaves.

Top Bottom