What's new

Anders' shaving journal

Touched up my blade on the balsa strop provided by Larry in his strop kit. The cutting power of the blade improved dramatically. For future reference this is the second time I have done this.

I rubbed my fingers all over my alum block and proceded to shave with my SR. Two passes gave me my closest shave yet, but with considerable irritation. First pass was just an ordinary, run of the mill WTG and my second pass was XTG ears to mouth on my cheeks and moustache area. ATG all other places. I took my time and worked meticulously on my chin and I am proud to say that I believe I have a passably smooth shave here, maybe DFS.

The alum block stung a bit more than usual, but it's a trade off I am willing to do as long as I get better. I think I will permanently switch to a left hand/right hand routine instead of just using my right hand from now on.

I think I will permanently switch to a left hand/right hand routine instead of just using my right hand from now on.

One of the things I'm happy about when learning to use a straight razor. From the very first SR shave I've been using both hands for the shave. It was very awkward with my left hand for the first three shaves. Now its pretty much second nature using both hands.

My angle and technique are still a major work in progress though, still getting one to three nicks a shave. :thumbdown

One of the things I'm happy about when learning to use a straight razor. From the very first SR shave I've been using both hands for the shave. It was very awkward with my left hand for the first three shaves. Now its pretty much second nature using both hands.

My angle and technique are still a major work in progress though, still getting one to three nicks a shave. :thumbdown
I somehow found it easier to shave with both hands, Don't know why I didnt do this from the beginning as I started out shaving with both hands. I still get nicks, but they are quite rare nowadays. The exception is the shave I recorded a few entries ago when I managed to nick myself twice.

BTW how is your stropping game coming along?

I've been having getting along with stropping just fine. I don't think I've been doing enough passes with my razor on the strop. I've been doing a dozen passes on the rough side and then a dozen passes on the smooth side of the leather. I perform this routine after the shave and before the shave.

I've been having getting along with stropping just fine. I don't think I've been doing enough passes with my razor on the strop. I've been doing a dozen passes on the rough side and then a dozen passes on the smooth side of the leather. I perform this routine after the shave and before the shave.
Sounds good, as long as you don't nick the strop too much it should be fine. I think a dozen passes is enough. At least in my case, I feel like my newbie technique is so terrible that it doesnt matter how many times I strop as long as it's more than about a dozen. Razor burn will come and get me anyway

Yesterday's shave was close, but yielded a lot of irritation. One pass WTG/XTG was enough.

The new razor also arrived, sent it off to be honed. I should have it back today or tomorrow

The new razor cam back from honing, Preliminary tests suggests it's sharp, but perhaps it needs to be a touch sharper. It won't cut hanging hair, but it pops off arm hair like it's nothing. Going to finish the edge on my balsa strop to see if that improves performance.

I should also add that my Parker Frontier arrived today. The nib seems smooth, but without any ink I am not sure. Hoping my ink arrives this week.

Yesterday's shave:
One pass with the new razor. Basically a combination of WTG and XTG. I think the edge given by the local honing service isn't as good as Larry's. The shave itself was passable though. I also think I'm nearing the end of my puck of Haslinger.

Anders, irritation can be caused by too much pressure. A sharp blade, lighter touch and low angle has helped me eliminate almost all irritation.
Thanks for the advice Dan. Really appreciate the way you are guiding me across the slippery slope.

Anders,

How did you like the Haslinger? I've heard lots of good things about it.
Haslinger is very good. Excellent performance, but with a sort of tuned down scent. I just plop it into a mug and shave away. The small puck also lasts a long time, 30 to 40 uses for me

Two passes today. One WTG and one XTG/ATG. No irritation to speak of at all, and quite a close shave too. Of course I stayed away from to moustache area as it's Movember, but all the same I'm quite pleased.
I also did very many strokes on the strop (not sure quite how many), so maybe that did something to improve my experience.

Doc,

Are your stropping numbers round trip numbers? How much would you suggest going with a leather only strop?

Doc,

Are your stropping numbers round trip numbers? How much would you suggest going with a leather only strop?
One lap is two "lengths". BTW if you want [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] 's attention the easiest way is to mention him.

Top Bottom