What's new

Second Shave With the Rex Envoy Went Much Better

[tl;dr version: Shaving oil and improved technique tamed the Envoy.]

So the first shave with the Rex Envoy scared the heck out of me. Wicked, ill-tempered, dangerous little thing. I used my regular canned goo and had no technique or skill to speak of and used a sharp blade (it was either a Nacet or a Personna USA Double Edge), and it left my face bloodied, razorburned, and bruised. Okay not bruised. But it kinda traumatized me. I do know the Envoy is not considered an aggressive razor generally. But it is for me. I have very soft, sensitive skin, which has always been easily hurt by cartridges and electric shavers. After that first shave, I set the Envoy aside and announced I *might* try it again a year from now, while secretly thinking I would just bail and sell it on. I really don't see the point of hurting yourself to shave.

But that was before I discovered Shave Secret oil. I've noticed that the oil has a decided protective effect. I get much fewer nicks and much less irritation when I use it. Last night I prepared the Tech with a BIC Chrome blade and just for yuks put an Astra with two shaves on it into the Envoy. My plan was to take a few swipes with the Envoy before proceeding with the Tech.

I still have a long way to go with technique, but at the same time I've already improved massively...as an analogy, consider a school paper graded on a 100 scale, with 60 being the lowest passing grade; I've probably improved from a 20 to a 70 in the first two weeks of wet shaving. Much room for improvement still to go, but much improvement already achieved. (When I played hockey in middle school I was awarded "Most Improved" TWO YEARS IN A ROW, which always made me laugh.)

Anyway, bottom line: I ended up doing the whole shave with the Envoy and didn't pick up the Tech. I went much more slowly and carefully and didn't apply much pressure. It worked VERY WELL with the shaving oil IMVHO. The razor's design flushes out whiskers and residue very efficiently, leaving almost no residue on the blade and none on the razor itself. And NO nicks or discomfort or irritation this time. I checked with the alum block and got a trace of stinging but nothing bad.

And what a nice shave! The first shave with the Envoy, I have to admit, with just two passes, WTG and XTG, re-lathering in between, was the closest shave I'd ever had in my life. This time, with the shaving oil, I did the same, but went a third pass ATG on my neck and mustache area. And got a closer shave than I did the first time. I would characterize it in forum terms as half BBS and half DFS. I'm not aiming for BBS, by the way. My priority and my goal is to learn to get a decent shave without hurting myself or leaving my skin damaged, dry, sore or irritated.

I *LOVE* Shave Secret oil! It's just what I need. And, clearly, it's going to allow me to use a somewhat more aggressive razor without suffering ill effects.

I'm just very pleased. Thanks for all the wonderful help I am getting on this forum!

MtB

P.S. I have zero connection to any shaving supplies company. I found Shave Secret by accident at the Wegman's grocery, while shopping for Nivea Balm. If I sound like a shill for Shave Secret, it's just because I am presently a fanboy. :badger:

Nice one. You said you didn't apply much pressure this time. Ideally you want no pressure, just the razor's weight.

I have been considering adding an Envoy myself, so it'll be interesting to see how you get on with it.

Hi OrangeSport,
My experiences are probably not too helpful to others because I have a long history of oversensitive skin and discomfort with shaving, and thus different goals...I want a smooth, comfortable shave, and for the my face to feel good after the shave and throughout the day. My goal isn't about the experience of the shave, or efficiency, or aromas...or even results, past a certain point: a DFS is fine with me. As long as I look presentable until I go to sleep. Not chasing BBS, won't be doing three-pass shaves.

So I'm kind of committed to shave oil at this point because it gets me closer to my goal, and the Envoy is great primarily because hot water flushes the oil residue off the blade so nicely.

But I will keep going, and then keep you updated! No telling what I will learn.

Kind regards,
MtB

Nice one. You said you didn't apply much pressure this time. Ideally you want no pressure, just the razor's weight.

I have been considering adding an Envoy myself, so it'll be interesting to see how you get on with it.
Take it, it will give you great shaving satisfaction
I didn't find it particularly aggressive "but I'm always for Ambassador type shaves at number 5-6 on WTG and ATG"

[tl;dr version: Shaving oil and improved technique tamed the Envoy.]

So the first shave with the Rex Envoy scared the heck out of me. Wicked, ill-tempered, dangerous little thing. I used my regular canned goo and had no technique or skill to speak of and used a sharp blade (it was either a Nacet or a Personna USA Double Edge), and it left my face bloodied, razorburned, and bruised. Okay not bruised. But it kinda traumatized me. I do know the Envoy is not considered an aggressive razor generally. But it is for me. I have very soft, sensitive skin, which has always been easily hurt by cartridges and electric shavers. After that first shave, I set the Envoy aside and announced I *might* try it again a year from now, while secretly thinking I would just bail and sell it on. I really don't see the point of hurting yourself to shave.

But that was before I discovered Shave Secret oil. I've noticed that the oil has a decided protective effect. I get much fewer nicks and much less irritation when I use it. Last night I prepared the Tech with a BIC Chrome blade and just for yuks put an Astra with two shaves on it into the Envoy. My plan was to take a few swipes with the Envoy before proceeding with the Tech.

I still have a long way to go with technique, but at the same time I've already improved massively...as an analogy, consider a school paper graded on a 100 scale, with 60 being the lowest passing grade; I've probably improved from a 20 to a 70 in the first two weeks of wet shaving. Much room for improvement still to go, but much improvement already achieved. (When I played hockey in middle school I was awarded "Most Improved" TWO YEARS IN A ROW, which always made me laugh.)

Anyway, bottom line: I ended up doing the whole shave with the Envoy and didn't pick up the Tech. I went much more slowly and carefully and didn't apply much pressure. It worked VERY WELL with the shaving oil IMVHO. The razor's design flushes out whiskers and residue very efficiently, leaving almost no residue on the blade and none on the razor itself. And NO nicks or discomfort or irritation this time. I checked with the alum block and got a trace of stinging but nothing bad.

And what a nice shave! The first shave with the Envoy, I have to admit, with just two passes, WTG and XTG, re-lathering in between, was the closest shave I'd ever had in my life. This time, with the shaving oil, I did the same, but went a third pass ATG on my neck and mustache area. And got a closer shave than I did the first time. I would characterize it in forum terms as half BBS and half DFS. I'm not aiming for BBS, by the way. My priority and my goal is to learn to get a decent shave without hurting myself or leaving my skin damaged, dry, sore or irritated.

I *LOVE* Shave Secret oil! It's just what I need. And, clearly, it's going to allow me to use a somewhat more aggressive razor without suffering ill effects.

I'm just very pleased. Thanks for all the wonderful help I am getting on this forum!

MtB

Help? I think the preponderance of the advice was to slow down and to concentrate on mastering one razor at a time.

You are incorrigible. Which means you will fit in here just fine. LOL

Bill

Sounds like you went from a 'cartridge' technique to more of a DE technique and got better results.

I like heavier razors since I don't need to apply ANY PRESSURE, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH. Lighter razors are more challenging because I need to maintain constant pressure as the angles change on my chin, around my nose, etc.

Ride the safety bar or top cap and apply no pressure for more consistent results in many cases. Also, I use a really good lotion during Winter the night before to moisturize my facial skin. It simply gets too dry in Winter and will give me weepers all over if I don't.

A good shave soap or canned "goo" also really helps. For whatever reason, the Walmart EQUATE brand of canned 'goo' works really well for my face and razors which tend to be moderately aggressive on average.

I hope you are having many happy shaves today too!

Top Bottom