What's new

Anders' shaving journal

Today's shave:
R-4 SS, palmolive cream, simpson special in best and gillette series ASB and Gillette nacet (1)

Did three passes this time, one WTG and two ATG. ended up with DFS/BBS and perhaps a slight touch of irritaion. Going to move to my milder slim twist/G100/G2000 and see if the Silver blue is as good in that razor as in the superspeed.

$image.jpg
Tomorrow's set up

I cheated and used the GSB instead of the nacet in my slim twist. Four pass BBS. I did one pass WTG and three passes ATG. Donmjt really know where i come up with this stuff, but hey! It seems to work

$image.jpg
This arrived in the mail today, a starter kot from whipped dog, including a poor man's strop. I will do my first shave with it today. I think i will only take my cheeks with a WTG pass or two, amd then i will try to strop it.

Ouch, my frst shave with a straght resulted in two nicks. One slight one, that maybe rather can be descriped as razor burn pn my upper lip, and a real nick on my ear. All this from just one pass WTG. My stropping game also sucks

Second shave:
Pribyl Bros. magnetic razor, simpson special, palmolive shaving cream and gillette series ASB.
stropped 40 laps onn my poor man's strop and lathered up straight out from the shower. My first pass went WTG, I was so impressed with my ability to do a whole pass without nicking myself, and tha fact that i had stropped my razor two times without ruining the edge that i decided to do another WTG pass. This emboldened me so much in fact that i decided on an ATG pass. I really should not have done that. The shave itself ended up being a SAS/CCS, but the resulting razor burn isnt pleasant.

Second shave:
The shave itself ended up being a SAS/CCS, but the resulting razor burn isnt pleasant.
It takes time to learn how to handle a SR. My guess on the razor burn is that you may have opened up the blade angle a little when you went for the ATG pass.

Yesterdays shave:
haslinger aloe, pribyl bros. straight, semogie 1470, poor man's strop and gilette series ASB.
went two passes this time, one WTG and anoe WTG/XTG, much less irritation than the last shave, but one small nick on my lip when i went XTG there. The shave quality overall seems to have improved, except on my chin

Today's shave yielded only two nicks :tongue_sm. Two passes, one WTG and one WTG/ATG. I think my face needs a rest. Thinking about using my Contou or GII

Today i did two passes again, one WTG and the second XTG. This shave the razor burn mostly subsided after applying the aftershave. I also have not nicked my strop in at least a few stropping sessions. I think i may be on a streak!

Did three passes today. WTG, XTG and ATG. I definetely need to practise my technique going ATG, but i can manage for the moment with only WTG and XTG. This was however the best SR shave i have ever had. Very little irritaion, and a shave bordering on DFS after a little touch up just below my left sideburn (for some reason i seem to have trouble with this spot). BTW haslinger is equally suited to SR shaving as it is for DE shaving!

Today i managed a complete BBS plus with my GEM 1912. I decided that shaving with a straight razor every day for more than 7 days was a bit too much and so decided i needed a break. My first choice, and finest shaver was the GEM and So loaded it up with my old and used GEM SS PTFE coated blade (not usre how many uses, but something between 10 and 20 seems right) and shaved away. First pass WTG went really well. I tried Stretching my skin and all the stuff i had learned using straight razors and not surprisingly, it seemed to have a genuine effect upen the shave. The next pass was ATG with just a little less stretching than the first pass. I wasn't reallyt satisifed with the result and so i decided to do a XTG pass and this time the razor really shined. Complete BBS everywhere, even my chin which has generallly been a hard spot to shave.

Today i managed a complete BBS plus with my GEM 1912. I decided that shaving with a straight razor every day for more than 7 days was a bit too much and so decided i needed a break. My first choice, and finest shaver was the GEM and So loaded it up with my old and used GEM SS PTFE coated blade (not usre how many uses, but something between 10 and 20 seems right) and shaved away. First pass WTG went really well. I tried Stretching my skin and all the stuff i had learned using straight razors and not surprisingly, it seemed to have a genuine effect upen the shave. The next pass was ATG with just a little less stretching than the first pass. I wasn't reallyt satisifed with the result and so i decided to do a XTG pass and this time the razor really shined. Complete BBS everywhere, even my chin which has generallly been a hard spot to shave.

BBS is always nice. I do find that when I go back to DE and injectors - the shaves are always better since straights allow me to hone in my technique a bit more.

Shaved with the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 yesterday. I really dont like the slime that thing leaves on my face. I believe the proglide to be superior in every aspect. However the razor along with two carts was free, so I suppose i havent really lost anything. Today a red jar of Cella and a block of alum arrived in the post. Looking forward to try them both.

Decided to take on the SR today. Bad decision. After two passes my face felt like it was burning and i really dont know if the alum helped at all (it really burned, but it probably wioll alleviate the razor burn in a few hours). The culprit is probably bad technique and somewhat subpar lather with the cella. Going to try this one out with DEs until i get it dialed in.

Top Bottom