What's new

WhiskerLess DE Shaving Journey

Update
Shave no. 6
31 May 2024

I think I am getting the hang of it. ( I hope so 🤔🤣) I replace my Astra SP (5), I suppose it served its purpose already.

Don’t wanna risk it, happy blade is a happy shave.

I could tell its a 9/10 DFS today.

Attachments

• IMG_8444.jpeg
    IMG_8444.jpeg
    972.9 KB · Views: 7
Shave no. 7
03 April 2024
3 weeks into DE shaving now and was a bit concern that dry flake like skin develop around my lower lips.
Despite trying to do thorough preparations during my shave.

It improves a bit by using my wife's Neutrogena deep hydrating facial mask for a couple of days.

Back into shaving, I can tell my techniques are so much better.
I just need to get familiar more in mapping my beard growth.

I also simplify the use of my shaving products to isolate which is causing the drying of my skin.
Did not use pre shave product today and kept Osma alum block away, suspect this is the culprit of my dry skin.

Overall I can say 9/10 DFS just a point away from BBS.

SOTD as the following:
1. Warm shower as my pre shave.
2. Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SP (2), Parker pure badger brush
3. Chiseled face Cedar & spice
3. Thayers oriignal with witch hazel (alcohol free)
4. Nivea replenishing post shave balm.

Happy shaving everyone !

Attachments

• IMG_8528.jpeg
    IMG_8528.jpeg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 8
Shave no. 7
03 April 2024
3 weeks into DE shaving now and was a bit concern that dry flake like skin develop around my lower lips.
Despite trying to do thorough preparations during my shave.

It improves a bit by using my wife's Neutrogena deep hydrating facial mask for a couple of days.

Back into shaving, I can tell my techniques are so much better.
I just need to get familiar more in mapping my beard growth.

I also simplify the use of my shaving products to isolate which is causing the drying of my skin.
Did not use pre shave product today and kept Osma alum block away, suspect this is the culprit of my dry skin.

Overall I can say 9/10 DFS just a point away from BBS.

SOTD as the following:
2. Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SP (2), Parker pure badger brush
3. Thayers oriignal with witch hazel (alcohol free)
4. Nivea replenishing post shave balm.

Happy shaving everyone !
Way to go! You have certainly come a long way in 3 short weeks. Sounds like you are achieving very good shaves. We all bump into our unique challenges along the way, but with some trial and error we can usually figure them out. Happy shaves!

Shave no. 8
05 April 2024

For the last 3 weeks, I try to shave 2x per week allowing few days of rest. However, I gave in with the temptation and decided to shave today. You know that itch and that feeling of excitement wondering when I could shave again.

The good part is that everytime I shave I learn new techniques and discover corners that you missed shaving.

2 lessons I learned today.

1st - Is that tilting my 6S allows me to access stubble near my nostrils. How did I missed that part for the last 3 weeks.

2nd - I got a small nick today but it was more of a driver error. What did I do wrong this time? I was arrogant to switch hands. Yes I tried shaving with my left hand during clean up.

Anyways, another very satisfying 9/10 shave I could say. And btw I tried Matt of Razor Emporium’s suggestion today to rinse with cold water on EVERY PASS instead of warm water. I usually rinse cold water on my final rinse only. He said it would help with skin irritation.

Keeping my SOTD the same for the week.

2. Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SP (3), Parker pure badger brush
4. Thayers oriignal with witch hazel (alcohol free)
5. Nivea replenishing post shave balm.

Happy shaving everyone !

Last edited:
Shave no. 9
05 April 2024

I was so excited just received my 1st Simpson brush, Trafalgar T3.
Just 2 days of growth, warm weather and a new toy so yeah let's do it.

Decided to call it a PRORASO GREEN shave day.
I also feel more confident than before so I bump the plate up a notch R4

I don't know if it was because of the excitement or my shaving technique getting better.
But wow today's shave was best ever, definitely a 10/10.

Today's shave:

1. Rockwell 6S R4, Astra SP (4), Simpson Trafalgar T3.
2. Proraso pre shave refreshing
3. Proraso cream soap refreshing
4. Proraso aftershave lotion refreshing
5. Proraso aftershave balm refreshing

Happy shaving everyone !
IMG_8555.jpeg

Last edited:
10/365
Tuesday - April 9, 2024

Razor: Rockwell R4 (10)
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Bowl: Bicrops black
Brush: Simpson T3
Pre: Proraso blue
Lather: TOBS Eton College

Result: 8/10 - CCS

Looks like using Astra SP (5) will not work for me. Will try to replace it every after 3 shaves.

IMG_8573.jpeg

10/365
Tuesday - April 9, 2024

Razor: Rockwell R4 (10)
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Bowl: Bicrops black
Brush: Simpson T3
Pre: Proraso blue
Lather: TOBS Eton College

Result: 8/10 - CCS

Looks like using Astra SP (5) will not work for me. Will try to replace it every after 3 shaves.

View attachment 1826466
Very good to find out the limit of things. Blade life varies widely so there is no substitute from just trying it out. As you are getting more experience you may find that you can use blades longer, but 3 and out is not a bad number either. Blades are very affordable so no harm.

Very good to find out the limit of things. Blade life varies widely so there is no substitute from just trying it out. As you are getting more experience you may find that you can use blades longer, but 3 and out is not a bad number either. Blades are very affordable so no harm.

Very true, actually the Astra SP for me is still usable but I feel like at (5) the performance is not as smooth and sharp as the first (3) shaves.

I am a newbie in this but one thing I notice is that after 3 shaves when I apply Thayers witch hazel and Nivea post shave balm there’s a little stinging after 3 - 5 sec. Which I assume due to blade getting duller.

Correct me if I am wrong but I read that witch hazel is astrigent and Nivea post shave balm has alcohol denat.

Is stingging normal to be felt after few seconds of its application? It does not last though, usually gone as it dries up.

Or is it because of my poor shaving technique and has nothing to do with the dulling of blade?

Or is it because of my poor shaving technique and has nothing to do with the dulling of blade?
Technically it can be both. Pressing down too hard can cause sting later on because you have basically removed skin layers. And yes, when the blade dulls there might still be cutting but also increased scraping - again leading to skin layer removal and potential stinging. I am going with the latter in your case based on the Astra blade you are using.

Cheers,

Guido

Very true, actually the Astra SP for me is still usable but I feel like at (5) the performance is not as smooth and sharp as the first (3) shaves.

I am a newbie in this but one thing I notice is that after 3 shaves when I apply Thayers witch hazel and Nivea post shave balm there’s a little stinging after 3 - 5 sec. Which I assume due to blade getting duller.

Correct me if I am wrong but I read that witch hazel is astrigent and Nivea post shave balm has alcohol denat.

Is stingging normal to be felt after few seconds of its application? It does not last though, usually gone as it dries up.

Thayers has a little bit of alcohol in it due to the manufacturing process of it so it may sting slightly. Nivea post shave balm I'm not sure. It may have a little. I just looked at the back of the bottle and they're is no ingredient list on it. Must have been on the box or came in. Anyways if any it is little.

Personally I'm an alcohol based after shave kind of guy a la home alone. There is something about the alcohol sting that is addictive to me. Unless it stings a bit I have not shaved.
Screaming Macaulay Culkin GIF by Home Alone

Of course there is a limit to how much sting is good sting as well. Also the closer the shave is the more potential for sting there is. We do not want burning lava type sting though. That is a sign of something went wrong.

Top Bottom