IMG_20230621_204450841.jpg

Razor: Tatara Muramasa (setting 1)

Blade: Gillette Nacet (2nd shave) [Not restocking]

Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip Synthetic

Lather: Gentleman Jon Sandalwood Soap

Prep: Wash with Badger Shave Soap

Post-shave: T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel [Not pictured]

Introductory Comments:

With a Blackland Vector Ti scheduled to arrive today, I’m reaching for my (personal) top performing razor of the DE variety on its mildest setting. The goal is to make sure my face is as irritation-free as possible for the beginning of the Vector’s 30-day trial period.

I’m on a long enough consecutive-day shaving streak that I’ve lost count, as this is the first day in this journal. Yesterday was a very similar set-up with a 1940s Gillette Tech.

Shave Pass Actions:
  1. North-South
  2. ATG
  3. Clean Up with J-hooking on neck into Adam’s apple on both sides and blade buffing from checks towards sides of chin.

Final Comments:

Relatively routine shave for me with this razor. No marks or irritation. Closer than one would expect on such a mild setting, but I attribute this to the ATG pass followed by J-hooking and blade buffing. I'll use a face moisturizer tonight which usually counteracts any dryness from an otherwise great glycerine based soap.

A Brief Overview of my Shaving History:

My first DE shave was in May 2010 after watching some of Mantic59’s videos on YouTube. I began with a Parker TTO ordered from Amazon which did not suit me well. Determined to persevere, I ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 on June 1st, 2010 (thanks to Amazon for keeping this record). From the DE89 and Arko maximum comfort cream, I was able to start getting consistent enough results to become a traditional wetshaving hobbyist.

Fast-forward to today, I now own many more razors, brushes, and products of which I enjoy to various degrees (some more than others). I’m a fingertip shaver (my fingertips are the only part of my hand I use to grip the handle of a safety razor) which likely developed from occasionally using a Feather Artist Club DX when I have the time to be careful. This grip also makes the feel as though I have a lighter and more responsive touch. I have sensitive skin in that my skin where my beard grows is often dry and I am prone to irritation from badger hair brushes and other products. I have an allergy to oats which causes irritation and mild rashes on the skin, so I'm not able to try some otherwise great soaps and creams. My personal best shaves tend to come from combining a somewhat mild razor with an ATG pass and “advanced techniques” to clean up any remaining stubble. (Some of these “advanced techniques” I learned from another of Mantic59’s videos and others have developed out of necessity along the way.) With this combination, I can shave close enough and keep irritation to a minimum so that I have to take fewer days off from shaving.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for all of your kind words.

I am actually a Bryan With A Y...nice to know you! ;)
Great to know you too! My idea for the name roughly comes from putting orders in a coffee shops during high traffic times and trying to reduce the likelihood I would get my order confused with someone else. I had a good laugh when one of the Baristas wrote "Brian with an I" directly on my cup.

The vector is a razor on my radar for future consideration. I look forward to your reports on how you get along with it over the next 30 days!
I'm very much looking forward to using it tomorrow. I'll make sure to post with a lot of detail and specifics so as to help differentiate which parts of my experience might be relevant to your needs and which are not.

IMG_20230622_141518907.jpg

I shave in the mornings US Eastern time and have started writing out my notes then, but I'll probably have to post in the evenings after work.

Thanks again for stopping by and I look forward to seeing everyone's shaves tomorrow!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
BrIan, I'm also glad you started a journey here. Welcome to B&B. Our little community is a great place to meet people who make that transition from strangers to friends more quickly than I would have imagined.

I look forward to your experiences with the Vector as well. I started with the AC format when I took up traditional wet shaving last year (2002, just in case people read this thread in 2053 ;) ).

Shave 2023-06-23

IMG_20230622_183144747.jpg

Razor: Blackland Vector Ti

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG

Lather: TOBS Organic Shaving Cream

Prep: Wash with Badger Shaving Soap [Repurposed to face washing, since the lather is unstable]

Post-shave: T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel

Shave action passes:

1. North-South
  2. Modified ATG with sweeping motions in some places on the neck to accommodate AC blade width (More details below)
  3. Clean up with J-hooking in towards Adam’s apple on both sides. Blade buffing omitted as the wire guard of the blade threatened to cause irritation.

Comments:

Wow, well done Shane at @Blackland Razors ! This is definitely a razor that gets out of the way and lets you really express your shaving technique and possibly even develop some artistic flair to the shave; I’ll have to work on the latter in the upcoming shaves.

A great first shave is probably a sufficient but not necessary condition for keeping a razor during the trial period; I don’t see this one going back. I have had a great experience with the Razorock Hawk V3 Standard, but it took me three shaves to start to really get a good shave with it. Although, as I’ll elaborate on soon, my experience with the Hawk and a Feather AC DX have probably allowed some technique translation to the Vector.

As with the Hawk, my ATG pass used sweeping motions under the jawline and into the Adam’s apple, where I just cannot flatten the face. This for me is the biggest difference in shaving with a DE or Injector blade compared to an AC blade, where a narrower blade allows me follow the path while rotating the blade a little less.

To properly introduce you to the growth on my neck, ATG brings the blade initially almost due South on (both sides of) my neck before curving in towards my Adam’s apple on both sides. Right in the middle to top of the Adam’s apples, a very thin strip of pattern begins to open increasing width up my neck, under the jawline, to the chin. ATG for this V-shaped strip runs south-to-north.

With the Feather AC DX, I’m able to rotate the blade against my neck to match the swirl patterns in the grain around my neck. When I’m able to use this technique correctly, I’m able to avoid irritation on my very sensitive neck, in spite of the additional blade width. The Hawk, while not being overly heavy, is heavy enough that I’ve done much better J-hooking close to ATG on the ATG pass. The Vector Ti’s maneuverability and compact size allowed me to replicate the rotating motion from the Feather AC DX, and in my very first shave with it! That said, Shane at Blackland Razors discusses modulating pressure in his instructions on how to use the Vector. He is exactly correct in this regard, as the head can really get caught up in dense, coarse hair without enough added pressure. Thankfully, the DX also requires some added pressure, so this is another way that technique from other razors I own has really helped get me started with the Vector.

Of course, one obvious advantage of the Vector over the Feather is that I can daydream while I shave with the Vector and not worry about really hurting myself. Back around 2015 or 2016, I had a Feather Super loaded in the DX (Super allows a shallower shave angle, which I prefer) and I hit my elbow against the towel rack bringing the razor towards the mustache area. The resulting cut from under the nostril to the top of the upper lip was bad enough to keep me out of shaving for weeks and I was first worried that I would have a scar. In the end, I was very fortunate that the cut was not quite deep enough to leave a scar, but I bleed easily from my face, so the initial appearance was quite concerning at the time…but I digress…

So, what can I improve? Still quite a lot, which is what really excites me about what a high ceiling I think this razor may have for me. First, I got the smallest of nicks above the corner of the right lip and didn’t feel it when it happened. I do bleed very easily, as mentioned above, so I’ll have to keep working, but I think it’s related to the feel I’ll describe in the next needed improvement. Second, and more importantly, I need to try an unguarded blade or at least not the Protouch MG. I don’t remember feeling the wires as much using a Feather Proguard, but the wires of the Protouch MG definitely reduced the smoothness of the shave. Further, with the Protouch MG, the shave was actually relatively similar to yesterday’s Muramasa on 1, so I can definitely move to the Kia Captain Titan Mild blades for tomorrow.

IMG_20230622_183818540.jpg

This shave occurred before work, so it was completed in less than 10 minutes. I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s shave, where I can take my time and start to really see what this amazing razor can do. So many more details to come over the weekend, when I have a bit more time!

Thanks everyone for reading and for all of your kind comments and support. It’s now time for me to go read some of your shave journals!

Thank you very much @Phoenixkh and @Guido75 !

Kim: Thanks! I have a 19 month old son who I hope will read this journal and your kind comments in 2053. I'm sure I will have given him quite a few of my razors by then as well.

Guido: Thanks and definitely feel free to suggest a better name for our gripping technique. The grip has really helped me personally. I like to mention it because different grips can definitely increase the high amount of variability from person to person when shaving. It's hard to find another hobby where YMMV is as true as it is here.

Shave 2023-06-23

View attachment 1675811

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG

Lather: TOBS Organic Shaving Cream

Prep: Wash with Badger Shaving Soap [Repurposed to face washing, since the lather is unstable]

Shave action passes:

1. North-South
  2. Modified ATG with sweeping motions in some places on the neck to accommodate AC blade width (More details below)
  3. Clean up with J-hooking in towards Adam’s apple on both sides. Blade buffing omitted as the wire guard of the blade threatened to cause irritation.

Comments:

Wow, well done Shane at @Blackland Razors ! This is definitely a razor that gets out of the way and lets you really express your shaving technique and possibly even develop some artistic flair to the shave; I’ll have to work on the latter in the upcoming shaves.

A great first shave is probably a sufficient but not necessary condition for keeping a razor during the trial period; I don’t see this one going back. I have had a great experience with the Razorock Hawk V3 Standard, but it took me three shaves to start to really get a good shave with it. Although, as I’ll elaborate on soon, my experience with the Hawk and a Feather AC DX have probably allowed some technique translation to the Vector.

As with the Hawk, my ATG pass used sweeping motions under the jawline and into the Adam’s apple, where I just cannot flatten the face. This for me is the biggest difference in shaving with a DE or Injector blade compared to an AC blade, where a narrower blade allows me follow the path while rotating the blade a little less.

To properly introduce you to the growth on my neck, ATG brings the blade initially almost due South on (both sides of) my neck before curving in towards my Adam’s apple on both sides. Right in the middle to top of the Adam’s apples, a very thin strip of pattern begins to open increasing width up my neck, under the jawline, to the chin. ATG for this V-shaped strip runs south-to-north.

With the Feather AC DX, I’m able to rotate the blade against my neck to match the swirl patterns in the grain around my neck. When I’m able to use this technique correctly, I’m able to avoid irritation on my very sensitive neck, in spite of the additional blade width. The Hawk, while not being overly heavy, is heavy enough that I’ve done much better J-hooking close to ATG on the ATG pass. The Vector Ti’s maneuverability and compact size allowed me to replicate the rotating motion from the Feather AC DX, and in my very first shave with it! That said, Shane at Blackland Razors discusses modulating pressure in his instructions on how to use the Vector. He is exactly correct in this regard, as the head can really get caught up in dense, coarse hair without enough added pressure. Thankfully, the DX also requires some added pressure, so this is another way that technique from other razors I own has really helped get me started with the Vector.

Of course, one obvious advantage of the Vector over the Feather is that I can daydream while I shave with the Vector and not worry about really hurting myself. Back around 2015 or 2016, I had a Feather Super loaded in the DX (Super allows a shallower shave angle, which I prefer) and I hit my elbow against the towel rack bringing the razor towards the mustache area. The resulting cut from under the nostril to the top of the upper lip was bad enough to keep me out of shaving for weeks and I was first worried that I would have a scar. In the end, I was very fortunate that the cut was not quite deep enough to leave a scar, but I bleed easily from my face, so the initial appearance was quite concerning at the time…but I digress…

So, what can I improve? Still quite a lot, which is what really excites me about what a high ceiling I think this razor may have for me. First, I got the smallest of nicks above the corner of the right lip and didn’t feel it when it happened. I do bleed very easily, as mentioned above, so I’ll have to keep working, but I think it’s related to the feel I’ll describe in the next needed improvement. Second, and more importantly, I need to try an unguarded blade or at least not the Protouch MG. I don’t remember feeling the wires as much using a Feather Proguard, but the wires of the Protouch MG definitely reduced the smoothness of the shave. Further, with the Protouch MG, the shave was actually relatively similar to yesterday’s Muramasa on 1, so I can definitely move to the Kia Captain Titan Mild blades for tomorrow.

View attachment 1675817

This shave occurred before work, so it was completed in less than 10 minutes. I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s shave, where I can take my time and start to really see what this amazing razor can do. So many more details to come over the weekend, when I have a bit more time!

Thanks everyone for reading and for all of your kind comments and support. It’s now time for me to go read some of your shave journals!

This was a particularly cool first shave report to read. Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough breakdown!

This was a particularly cool first shave report to read. Thanks for taking the time to give such a thorough breakdown!
Thank you very much for your kind words and for all of your hard work on this razor! I can only imagine how much thought and care goes into designing this and other razors from start to finish. It has definitely been worthwhile to share my enjoyment of it with others.

Thank you very much @Phoenixkh and @Guido75 !

Kim: Thanks! I have a 19 month old son who I hope will read this journal and your kind comments in 2053. I'm sure I will have given him quite a few of my razors by then as well.

Guido: Thanks and definitely feel free to suggest a better name for our gripping technique. The grip has really helped me personally. I like to mention it because different grips can definitely increase the high amount of variability from person to person when shaving. It's hard to find another hobby where YMMV is as true as it is here.
Reading your journal has me thinking about my shaves. I also have found that "fingertip" grip really helps ME control how much pressure I am using.
Probably explains my preference for lighter razors. When using heavier I find myself wrapping my fingers around more, which for me tends to cause added pressure.

Be well
Jay

Shave 2023-06-24

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild

Lather: Arko Maximum Comfort Cream

Prep: Wash with Badger Shaving Soap

IMG_20230623_220547106.jpg

Shave Pass Actions:
  1. North-South
  2. ATG (Able to find less modified ATG paths today)
  3. Clean up (Blade buffing on sides of chin; fixed point rotations and J-hooking on neck in towards Adam’s apple on both sides; inverted J-hooks on outer corners of jawline)
Comments:

This morning, the Vector spoke to me like Yoda: “You must unlearn what you have learned.” Due to its weight and dimensions, it does not have the same constraints as other razors. I found myself really experimenting with different trajectories and angles of attack that even an Artist Club shavette-style razor, like my Feather DX, is too large to approach.

So how did the shave go? I got way too close for someone with sensitive skin trying to maintain a consecutive-day shave streak. As close as the last shave I did with an Asylum Injector. I got two of the tinniest nicks from trying out a few ideas that need to be thought out a bit better on my part. That said, I think I have only taken two days off of shaving in more than three weeks now, so the skin might just be a little more prone to splitting right now. I went “back to my roots” with Arko Maximum Comfort cream, which I get pretty good results, but the scent is likely more suitable for those in their late teens and early twenties. At least some of it will be removed by the witch hazel at the end.

Overall, I maintained enough pressure to get consistent plow-through of the blade through stubble, but I can probably back off the pressure a bit more and trade a little closeness to avoid the small amount of irritation I got in spots today. Shallow angle blade buffing with an unguarded blade in the Vector also works really well for me and I may employ it more in the future. In most razors, too much blade buffing near the chin can lead to irritation without much warning, but I think the low weight of this razor really helps here. Moving to an unguarded blade was definitely an improvement as well.

As I described somewhat clumsily in my last post, fixing one side of the blade while rotating the other to go ATG on curved portions of growth is definitely possible with this razor, but one must be careful because the need to add pressure at the same time creates a multi-parameter optimization problem between blade angle, positioning, and pressure. The result today is that I am a little red and “splotchy” on the right side of my neck, but this is a common irritation I get when I shave very close and don’t get all the variables just right. I think it’s safe to claim that J-hooking instead of applying a fixed point rotation is easier with any razor, since you can build up the amount of momentum that feels right to you along a straight-line trajectory just before beginning the rotation of the blade.

What does this mean for my Hawk V3? Don’t worry, I have no intention of giving up the Hawk or removing it from my rotation. For me, the Hawk paired with a Proline blade gives me a shave I don’t have to think about that much, avoids irritation, and it is close enough to look presentable. The weight of the Hawk (along with the Razorock barber handle) does a great job of plowing through stubble and does not require me to think much about adding additional pressure to the shave. The Hawk is just easy going for me.

I bought the Vector Ti because I wanted a dynamic duo of very different AC safety razors, and that’s exactly what I got! So far, the Vector has been asking me imaginative questions: Are you sure you really want/need to approach that area of your face in that way? How much added pressure is really the correct amount for what you are trying to achieve? Are you sure your first pass should be North-South? (Actually, I’m going to do something different along the lines of this last question tomorrow, even though the North-South pass has always been very helpful for me…but more on that tomorrow.)

I’m sure there will come a time when I understand this razor much better and it doesn’t ask me as many questions, but it’s definitely going to take some time. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy the ride with this one. I’m definitely scheduling another Vector Ti shave tomorrow morning, as I still have much to learn from it.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

A Digression that I Moved to the End:

Another razor I have used that required me to add pressure into the shave occurred to me as I drifted off to sleep last night. Around 2013 and 2014, I was traveling to a number of conferences and professional meetings via airline, unable to carry-on my preferred razors. A few posts on the forums at the time recommended traveling with Bic Metal disposable razors, which I ended up really loving. At the time I didn’t want to admit it, but in retrospect my Bic Metal shaves were better than my shaves with my EJ DE89. I remember thinking, I wish I could shave with the Bic Metals more, but I don’t want to always be throwing away all that plastic.

While there are MANY differences between the Vector and a Bic Metal, one common feature is the need to add pressure back into the shave. (One difference, of the many, is that the Vector shaves effectively at a wider range of angles than a Bic Metal. The Bic is also so light, you really have to add in some extra pressure just to keep it from skipping off the face.) There is a certain enjoyment that I get from shaving with a super maneuverable razor that I get from both the Vector and a Bic Metal, despite the many obvious differences in price, target audience, et cetera.

Reading your journal has me thinking about my shaves. I also have found that "fingertip" grip really helps ME control how much pressure I am using.
Probably explains my preference for lighter razors. When using heavier I find myself wrapping my fingers around more, which for me tends to cause added pressure.

Be well
Jay
Thanks Jay!

I'm definitely with you there on what happens when the grip gets too heavy. When ordering a stainless steel handle, I try to stay between 80mm and 85mm in length (although the even smaller Razorock thin bar balances really well with their very compact Lupo head for me). I can certainly do 90mm, but I don't think I feel the shave as well once I get into the larger and heavier handles (some handles have such a large diameter, I think I would have no choice but to "palm shave" with those). Those with larger hands than I probably find it easier to go bigger and heavier while still being able to maintain the fingertip grip.

Thanks Jay!

I'm definitely with you there on what happens when the grip gets too heavy. When ordering a stainless steel handle, I try to stay between 80mm and 85mm in length (although the even smaller Razorock thin bar balances really well with their very compact Lupo head for me). I can certainly do 90mm, but I don't think I feel the shave as well once I get into the larger and heavier handles (some handles have such a large diameter, I think I would have no choice but to "palm shave" with those). Those with larger hands than I probably find it easier to go bigger and heavier while still being able to maintain the fingertip grip.
I use the RR Thin Bar handle on my Gamechanger and Mamba! Its a nice size.

Be well
Jay

Shave 2023-06-25

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild

Lather: 345 Soap Co. Fuzzy Face [Sample]

Prep: Wash with Badger Shaving Soap

Post-shave: T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel, Chiseled Face Natural Aftershave Balm

IMG_20230624_203750705.jpg

Shave Pass Actions:
  1. WTG
  2. ATG (slower with less pressure applied today)
  3. Clean up (Minor blade buffing on chin and into Adam’s apple both directions.)
Breakthroughs this Shave:
  1. I have definitely been underestimating the angle I have been shaving at with the Vectors unique head geometry. Specifically, I have been shaving at a steeper angle than intended. I figured out about half way through the second pass.
  2. Reducing the pressure from the last shave was an improvement. It will take some time to continue to improve my touch with this razor, but the improvements so far across three shaves make me happy.
Comments:

The 345 Soap Company Fuzzy Face does not take much water to lather. I always have to be careful not to mix this one too thin, but when I get it right, it’s quite comfortable, offering a great mix of hydration and protection. However, the fragrance is quite strong, so I tend to use it on days when I don’t travel in to the office. I prefer to TRY to “blow my co-workers away” with great ideas, not fragrance.

This is my third run with the Vector Ti. Overall, I focused on the basics, since I really want to focus on improving my touch and feel with this razor. It is far too easy for me to get caught up on its maneuverability and ability to attempt advanced techniques, but its ability to perform advanced techniques effectively will be much better once my touch, pressure modulation, and understanding of its blade angle have gotten better with experience. Two very small nicks on the ATG pass prior to realizing that my interpretation of its blade angle was incorrect. No rash on the neck today, although it is slightly worse for wear from yesterday, likely due to slightly reducing the pressure on the razor.

To focus on the fundamentals, I omitted all rotational strokes from today’s shave. Realized that I can blade buff into the Adam’s apple with this razor (with a shallow angle) without any negative consequences, which is a first for me with any razor without irritation or small nicks save the Muramasa dialed down to 1. This is usually difficult for me, since the curvature into the Adam’s apple varies so greatly. I was able to keep the pressure really light and the strokes really short, which along with the shallow blade angle I had discovered allowed me to handle this carefully. The compact size of the head also allowed me to be more precise than I feel like I can be with my other razors.

The north-south first pass has been a staple of my shaving routine for many years now, but today this changes for the Vector, because many standard “rules” do not apply to the Vector. With a heavier razor, or at least a heavier head to the razor, one can work with the weight of the razor generated by gravity to make it easier to get a consistent blade angle and pressure along much of the face. This consistency is like a ticket for ONE irritation free pass and, when I’ve shaved the day before, the amount of remaining stubble can be approached by an ATG pass immediately following. With sensitive skin and the desire to shave daily, I try to keep the number of passes low.

Back to the challenge at hand: the Vector’s head doesn’t have much mass, and so gravity doesn’t give me as much assistance. Specifically, the resulting force of gravity applied to the mass of the razor head doesn’t plow through the whiskers without some additional force added on my part. So, if I don’t get a “free pass” on my first pass, the Vector asks, “what do you really want to do with your life?” Okay, sorry, it’s not THAT dramatic or consequential; it’s really more like, “what pass do YOU really want to do first?” So to try to truly minimize irritation, I went with a WTG first pass today.

With regards to blade angle, as mentioned above, I realized today that I have been shaving at an angle that is steeper than what my face tends to prefer. Not too much, but I’ve probably been off by at least 10 degrees. The razor head is so small and light compared to all of my other razors, that it has taken my senses a few shaves to catch up and realize this. Once I realized and adjusted, blade feel was reduced and the shave became smoother for me.

I had planned on sticking to the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade until I can build better consistency and feel with the razor. That said, I’m not finding this blade to be as sharp as I expected. It could be that it was the top blade in the bank, which sometimes takes the brunt of any shipping-related impacts. I do think it gives the right amount of exposure for me in this razor. My face and hair also seems to dull razors very quickly. (The only DE blade I have ever been able to use for a 4th shave is the Bic Chrome Platinum, which has probably become my preferred DE blade.) Evidence suggests that taking a steeper shave angle exacerbates microchipping of razors as well, so perhaps being off on my angle is to blame for the blade already feeling a bit dull.

I’ll have to decide what to do about the blade before the next shave. The Schick Proline blade I last used in my Hawk does fit in the Vector (it is my understanding that it can be hit or miss with these blades in the Vector). Since I have such a great experience with the Proline blades, I will certainly have to try the Vector with one that fits. Even though it is possible to modify the Vector to work with all Proline blades by filing the posts a bit, I have no intention of doing this. I’m out of Feather Professional blades, but may need to restock them specifically to try in this razor.

This is a truly wonderful and unique razor and I’m very much enjoying learning from it.

As always, thank you very much for reading, for your interest, and very interesting perspectives that many of you have shared with me in this journal.

Best wishes,

Brian

Upcoming Shaves:

I’m going to have to take a day off from shaving (and break my shave streak) relatively soon. I don’t know yet if it will be tomorrow or the next day, but I’m starting to have trouble telling which results I’m getting with this razor are the result of needing to continue to adjust technique and which results are the result of my skin just needing to heal up a bit from so many consecutive shaves.

I want to continue to improve my technique with the Vector until the beginning of July, when I should receive a restock on Injector blades: both Chicks and Parker. I have quite a few vintage Schicks and the Parker Injector that I want to use and report on, probably with some Vector shave thrown in for variety.

At some point, my many DE shavers will need to make their appearances and I want to discuss (in detail) what I think is a fundamental challenge of finding a DE razor that works well for one’s face.

A Few More Comments:

I really appreciate all the comments from the other “fingertip” shavers out there. But for those using other grips reading this, I do think that it is very possible to have great technique with other grips. One example is the YouTuber Geofatboy; I think he has fantastic technique, and he does not appear to be (at least not exclusively) a fingertip shaver.

Specifically, it has always looked to me like he frequently contacts the razor handle at the middle phalanx, or just inside the first knuckle, especially on his middle, ring, and pinky fingers. From there, it looks like he cushions the razor by wrapping the remaining proximal parts of his finger and his palm around the razor handle. With this technique, I think his index finger is really the key, as he seems to feel the razor very well with this finger (contacting it with both finger pads surrounding the first knuckle), while the rest of his fingers and palm cushions the remaining part of the razor. Anyway, I just wanted to mention someone that I think has great shaving technique, but definitely does it differently than I do.

Geofatboy; I think he has fantastic technique, and he does not appear to be (at least not exclusively) a fingertip shaver.
I learned a thing or two from Geo in my first weeks of DE shaving. He was very kind and responsive to my questions even though I wasn’t even a customer. I would love for him to do a true technique video, because he seems to get away with just about anything. Never seen weepers on camera.

Nice report again (or as usual I should say!).

Guido

I learned a thing or two from Geo in my first weeks of DE shaving. He was very kind and responsive to my questions even though I wasn’t even a customer. I would love for him to do a true technique video, because he seems to get away with just about anything. Never seen weepers on camera.

Nice report again (or as usual I should say!).

Guido
Thanks so much Guido!

I would also be very interested in Geo's own description of his technique. I'm just trying to interpret it the best I can from sight and pausing his videos. I'm happy to hear he is as nice and helpful as he seems to be on the videos.

Best,
Brian

Top Bottom