What's new

Anders' shaving journal

Today i touched up the scale-less sight unseen from whipped dog. Afterwards it cleanly cut/popped off any hair that merely touched the edge. Really surprised that i managed to salvage the edge. Maybe because I only did 12-15 laps on leather before each shave i managed to refrain from rolling the edge.

Today's shave was with the scale-less sight unseen. I think there are some small nicks in the blade as it makes a funny sound when i strop. makes no matte though, I think my newbie technique does more damage than some microscopic imperfection in the blade. I really need to rescale this thing, but I really don't want to mess up like I did the last time. nevertheless I have set my eyes upon a UK based site that sells DOVO scales.
On the Norwegian auction site an Edv. Neiström has come up at a relatively reasonable price, but perhaps I should wait until my salary/student loan comes. Anyway, if I don't spend it on razors, I'm going to spend it on alcohol and partying, right? So I'm basically doing myself a favour by indulging in my SRAD :lol:

I bought one of Tom's MK no. 7 instead. Swedish razors are really plentiful on the great norwegian site anyway. Especially of the "lesser" known brands. Heljestrands are very expensive, and I haven't seen anyone in good condition.

Today's shave was fine. 2 1/2 passes yielded a nice, close shave, but with some irritation. Soon the haslinger will be gone, and I'll start with some of my samples. Perhaps even SV felce aromatica.

Today's shave was one of the shaves were everything simply falls into place. Perhaps it was the feather blade, perhaps it was the SV or perhaps even my more developed technique.
Three passes and touch ups (WTG, XTG, ATG) yielded a complete glass smooth BBS+++++ best of all: No irritation!
@doc47 you were completely right about the SV. I think it might even rival haslinger :thumbup: BTW how strong is the scent of the aftershave?

OK it's official. I can't lather SV. No matter what I try the lather is too airy and bubbly. Will definitely try experimenting more.
BTW today's shave was fine, used my Hugo Köller

Thanks Dan, I will try it tomorrow.

Today's shave was with the R-4 black handle, PolSilver (8), and gillette foamy. Nice, easy and passable shave. Not going to be my go-to set-up, but it does the job.
I found I have a closer shave on my chin after two passes with an SR than after two passes with a DE!

GEM, then R-4, hope you're not giving up on the SRs...:001_unsur

I found sprinkling in the DEs and SEs shaves in between the SR shaves, kinda gives my ego a break. I am actually more confident with DE and SE shaves, but on the other hand the simplicity of those shaves makes me look forward to my SR challenge.

GEM, then R-4, hope you're not giving up on the SRs...:001_unsur

I found sprinkling in the DEs and SEs shaves in between the SR shaves, kinda gives my ego a break. I am actually more confident with DE and SE shaves, but on the other hand the simplicity of those shaves makes me look forward to my SR challenge.
Exam season is coming up, not much time for shaving

Do well on your exams and shave when you can. Exams must come first! :thumbup:
Thanks! The calculus makes SR shaving look easy :lol:

I used my Köller SR today. Lathered up with Palmolive cream and my Simpson Special. I found the palmolive to definitely lack the slickness I have come to expect after using Haslinger for so long, but it still did the job nicely. Two passes gave me a very nice shave. I think I have my shaves partially dialed in. I will definitely experiment more with SRs, but if the result is passable I suppose that's good enough

I finally managed to lather SV into submission (Thanks Dan!). The consistency of the lather was not what I have become used to with haslinger, but boy, was it slick. Perhaps I can coax even more performance out of this magnificent soap? (Shouldn't really be a problem, just have to improve my lathering technique first :lol:)
Two passes gave a passable shave. I think In have come to the point where I no longer nick anything, and the irritation is at a minimum. I reckon I have had about 25 SR shaves by now.

Tried bowl lathering with my Simpson Special today. Everything I said about palmolive not being slick enough I take back. Once you know how to lather it up, it's a very fine cream. Especially considering the price is only 85 cents. I also used my Schick type E and for once I didn't butcher my face completely! I think I may be on to something.

I second that, I never seem to have enough when I face lather! You can get a face-full of aroma and you usually have some left over to share with LOTH!

Then it seems I must get a bowl lathering brush. The only brushes I currently have have 20x45 mm as their dimensions. A bit too small and too much backbone for bowl lathering. I gave away my whipped dog, but perhaps I can replace it with a vulfix 374 or something?

I have done 5 SR shaves since my last entry. Two with my Hugo Köller, two with my Sight unseen and one with my new Heljestrand MK no. 7.

Top Bottom