Items by MikeLip

First if you like lime you will like this soap. The scent is strong and pure lime. Kind of sweet but really nice. The scent is quite a lot stronger than Mama bears. It stays with you through the shave too. Some others have complained about getting the wrapper off and yeah, it's a pain to get that tissue peeled away in some places. But I managed it. When I got it open I was greeted by an amazing scent and a horrifying blue-green color. Yeah, it's kind of a weird color but it sure...
I am not entirely sure where this review belongs. Some sites list this stuff as a cologne. Some as an aftershave. Some think it should be used for everything, up to and including washing the dog. Since it's definitely longer lasting than an aftershave and more complex, I'll dump it here. Mods, move as you deem appropriate. While the price of Royall Lyme isn't in the stratosphere, it's probably too expensive for the average Joe to use as an aftershave splash. It is strongly alcohol...
I had been antsy to try the Trumper offering in a lime splash, but really didn't want to spend the big bucks on it. The stuff is a little pricy for a splash, and when the opportunity came along to wangle a trade I jumped on it. First off, if you are expecting it to smell like the shaving soap or cream, forget it. It doesn't. But that's a good thing because to my nose neither of those products smell much like lime. This does. It has a nice clean lime smell that sticks around for a...
This is my first cologne, ever. In fact I'm not sure it qualifies as a cologne. I am also surprised that it has not been reviewed! This was recommended to me as an aftershave while I was on my quest for The Perfect Lime aftershave. I'm not sure I've found that yet, but I'll keep looking. As it is, to me an aftershave should give you a blast of cooling and address any razor burn or other facial discomfort. The scent ought to be pleasant, but disappear quickly. This stuff stays...
I admit to being a Castle Forbes groupie. I love lime and no one does lime quite like Castle Forbes. It seems as though their products are absolutely top quality, and their aftershave balm is no exception. The first thing that hits you when you open the bottle is that incredible lime scent. Sharp and pure. THIS is what lime should smell like! The balm looks like a milk, but it's thicker. Nearly a cream. It's just thin enough to pour from the bottle. CF balm carries a steep price...
One more lime cream to try! :tongue: I ran across this stuff doing a google search and the price seemed reasonable. I was a little leery when I had to paypal to an Italian address, but the cream arrived in very short order. The scent is a pretty clean lime, with very little if anything added to it. That's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it. Sorry, had a little disco moment there. The scent pretty much disappears immediately, which is disappointing. But I guess that's OK since it...
MikeLip
0.33 star(s) 69 ratings
Views
Reviews
This is the second last pack of blades to try in the West Coast Shaving sampler pack, and so far they are my second favorite, the best being the Feathers. They are however a lot less money than Feathers, and much easier to get. The shave is smooth and gentle in my ball end Tech, and no nicks with these guys. They seem even smoother and more forgiving than Derbys or Crystals. They aren't as sharp as a Feather, but seem sharper than Derbys. It takes less effort to get BBS at the base of...
This was the first non-Williams soap I tried when returning to DE shaving. I love Lime, so I had high hopes for this soap, which were slammed pretty much face first into the ground. The soap smells like lime when you unwrap it, or if you put your nose to it. There is no real scent when actually using it, which is hugely disappointing. It lathers up OK, but nothing special. And it works OK. But again, nothing special. The soap seems like there is a lot of air mixed in, and both...
This is the fourth aftershave I've tried, the other being two Boosters and Old Spice. I'm not entirely sure where to place this one. Definitely before Old Spice, since while I like Old Spice scent, I can't always tolerate it. I don't like the scent as much as Booster June Clover, but it's nicer than Boosters Lime. It has a tangy, citrusy smell that doesn't overpower you. The scent stays around a while too. It's been several hours and I can still catch a hint of it. Booster is gone within the...
I bought a pile of stuff from Shaving Essentials and found a sample of this in the care package that arrived. Also some horrifyingly strong floral scented soap that my daughter stole from me and welcome to it. I have to say that Shaving Essentials are evil - like the local pusher they just give you a little taste, and leave you wanting more, Then they have you hooked and reeeeeeeel you in! :biggrin: Ahem. Anyway, I am (well, was) not really an aftershave guy since I am very sensitive...
MikeLip
1.25 star(s) 8 ratings
Views
Reviews
I'm going to just follow the categories and comment on each I guess. But I had been looking for something other than my usual lime scented stuff. Not too many here seem to be using this stuff, but I figured hey, it's Trumpers. How bad can it be? Turns out I had nothing to worry about. I dinged this stuff on price. I mean, come on. I know it's top shelf. But $20 for 2.6oz? Yeek. Not much is worth that. Not when I can get 11oz of Kiss My Face that works just as well for less than...
MikeLip
0.25 star(s) 16 ratings
Views
Reviews
On my quest for lime shave creams, I ran across Kiss My Face brands. It sounded sort of girly, but the reviews here were uniformly positive. So what the heck. 11oz for $6.99? How can you beat that? I got it and it sat for a while since, in my zeal, I accumulated a LOT of stuff to go through. But my chin was sort of beat up from some over-vigorous buffing to get the last little hair with a dullish blade. Ooops. Something really comforting was called for (along with a modicum of common...
MikeLip
1.33 star(s) 3 ratings
Views
Reviews
After shaving with an ancient Burma Shave boar brush for quite a long time (which works, is comfortable, and still is a good brush - I'm keeping it for travel), I was on the hunt for a good badger brush for not a ton of money. I had purchased the C&E Best Badger and found I really didn't like the way it felt - it was quite prickly. After getting a number of good suggestions here, someone made the best suggestion - call Lee at Lees Razors. Lee took a LOT of time with me over two phone...
Yeah, I know there may be some bad blood between TSD and B&B. I'm non-political and of course don't know the story, so I go where the shaving is. Anyway, in my quest for The Perfect Lime, my travels have (virtually) taken me far and wide. From Europe to all over the USA. If there is an Asian lime shave cream, let me know and I'll try it! I found TSD creams and decided to give them some of my hard earned cash. The amount I paid - $7 - on the face of it wasn't bad. You get 2oz for...
Lime #3! :biggrin: This is the third and final lime soap I have to try. If anyone wants to send me something else to play with, feel free! :tongue_sm When I opened the container I was disappointed. Where is that lime scent? You really have to get your nose into the tub to smell it. The tub is a decent size at 4oz. It's a light plastic with a screw on top, and does it's job with a minimum of cost, I'm sure. At $6.50 it's not the cheapest soap out there, but it's far from the most...
MikeLip
0.22 star(s) 18 ratings
Views
Reviews
I am still wandering through the world of shaving soaps and creams, looking for The Perfect Soap. While the good Colonel makes an acceptable product, it's not quite what I was after. At the moment my gold standard in terms of comfort is Derby unscented shave cream. I'm not sure a soap is going to match that, but the hunt is part of the fun! This is the third soap I've used. I used Williams for years, since that is what our local Marcs carries. It works, smells OK and it's cheap...
This is the first cream I've tried, coming off shave soaps. And not very good soaps either - Williams and Classic. Both worked, but I was looking for something more comfortable. I'm just getting back to DE shaving so I'm sort of bashing around trying things out. The Derby of course comes in a plain box and plastic tube. There seems to be a lot of cream in the tube and for a very reasonable price. I chose unscented because my skin is very sensitive and I have to be careful what I...
Top Bottom