What's new

Col Conk Lime Soap

Item Description

I am still wandering through the world of shaving soaps and creams, looking for The Perfect Soap. While the good Colonel makes an acceptable product, it's not quite what I was after.

At the moment my gold standard in terms of comfort is Derby unscented shave cream. I'm not sure a soap is going to match that, but the hunt is part of the fun! This is the third soap I've used. I used Williams for years, since that is what our local Marcs carries. It works, smells OK and it's cheap. Next was Classic Shaving's house brand, which I found no better than Williams and it was five times the price.

The Col Conk stuff is definitely better than either. The lather is thicker and provides a slicker shave. I used my standby razor - a Merkur barberpole loaded with a fresh Derby blade. I can go back after that ATG stuff with little discomfort, and ended up with a BBS shave this morning. I love the scent of lime and it's here that this soap disappoints. If you stick your nose into the mug you can smell lime. But once it's on your face, the scent is gone.

The soap does seem to leave some moisturizing, which may be a bad thing for me since anything left on my face is asking for trouble. But I don't have that tight feeling I get after Williams or Classic, or even the Derby cream.

So, all in all not a bad shave. Disappointing in terms of scent. I have a new tub of Mama Bears' lime - that's next!

Latest reviews

This was a Christmas present from my wife. The lime scent is OK at best, but dissipates quickly. That's probably a good thing. Takes a lot of work to get a decent lather. Decent shave, decently moisturizing.

Decent. Nothing to write home about. Meh. After 10 shaves, it went into the shower.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Just a brief review on this one. My experience was not the same as the other Conk soaps. Lime dried me out and made my face burn. However, my face has a historical tendency to "react" to lime based soaps/creams. Smell is pleasant. Think lemon scented dish soap....but subdued.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
The smell just puts me off. I think it smells like dish soap - also kind of looks like dish soap in my clear container. So, smell alone will prevent me from buying this Conk again.

Both the Bay-Rum and the Almond Conks work out great for me and I will continue to use them. The lime performed the same and did end up delivering a good shave. So I will finish this puck, but then move on - maybe I am just not a limer. :blink:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)