What's new

Cheap Watches

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Tag I bought in 1992 replaced a Seiko that was 10 years old and was recommended to me over a Rolex. When I asked about a budget watch, he suggested Citizen over Seiko to me.

I think Seiko own Citizen now. Ever want your mind blown, look into Grande Seiko.
The Tag I bought in 1992 replaced a Seiko that was 10 years old and was recommended to me over a Rolex. When I asked about a budget watch, he suggested Citizen over Seiko to me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think Seiko own Citizen now. Ever want your mind blown, look into Grande Seiko.

I was just looking at prices of Citizen watches and yeah, I wouldnt be surprised. They're a lot more expensive now than they were in 1992 haha.

I dont expect I'll ever need to replace my Tag. I went in and asked for the last watch I'd ever have to buy and was looking at Rolex expecting him to suggest Rolex. He handed me the Tag instead.

26 years ago this month I bought it. Its been in for cleaning and service once that cost $200CAD. Other than that its only been batteries.

The box and paperwork it came with are now worth almost what I paid for the watch itself.

@Esox
Tag is owned by Swatch Group, who own many European Brands now. They also own ETA movements. This is the movement you use if you want to call your watch Swiss Made, but don't have a way to build your own movements. So, any watch dealer that sells ETA movement watches can easily repair your watch. Thus, the watch that will last forever.

Watches are weird, man. That's a rabbit hole I'm glad I didn't fall into. The most expensive shave soap I've found is 80 USD. With watches, that would be considered something you wear as a beater.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu
@Esox
Tag is owned by Swatch Group, who own many European Brands now. They also own ETA movements.

Actually, LVMH owns TAG. Swatch owns Omega (among other well known brands as you mentioned, such as Tissot, Longines, Hamilton, and Breguet).

Reactions: Anu
I love Rolex, but the market has gone ballistic and I do not ever see myself paying the prices for the desirable models. Omega and Tudor are excellent alternatives. Seiko is great when you need something that can simply take a beating.

The retail market is the same. You can still get a Submariner for a decent price if you're prepared to wait the 4-6 years for an official retailer to have one available to sell you, hence the much higher resale value.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Which ETA? All of Swatch Group uses ETA of some kind, plus third party. This is odd news indeed.
Swath group owns the eta movement and no longer sells the movement itself as was the case for years. They have restricted or eliminated supply to many long time spare parts independent repair people

A friend buys watches at estate sales and says you can get some good prices there. I wear a Seiko that I got decades ago.

Don't go expecting to find good prices on vintage Rolex and Omegas. The last couple years the latter (especially, Rolex for the most part has always been collectible) has shot up in price.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased a beautiful titanium Omega Seamaster lightly used for around $2,500 on a watch forum. It satisfies my watch cravings without dipping too deeply into my wallet.

I've got a fitbit for a cheap timepiece and also carry a phone. Being retired, I don't find the need for keeping up with the current time like I did while teaching.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Tag is owned by Swatch Group, who own many European Brands now. They also own ETA movements. This is the movement you use if you want to call your watch Swiss Made, but don't have a way to build your own movements. So, any watch dealer that sells ETA movement watches can easily repair your watch. Thus, the watch that will last forever.

As far as I know, Tag makes their own watches and is a subsidiary of TAG Group.

When it comes to which company owns what its all a bit muddled. Its like VW owns Bugatti, but VW doesnt make Bugatti's. In the end one company will own everything. I guess that will make them the 'winner' lol.

I just checked the receipt for my watch. I bought it Dec.13 1996. The sale price was $434.78. Thats less than many Citizen watches now. The serial number was recorded at the time of sale along with my name and address.

In Canada, when a Tag watch is taken in for battery replacement, or any type of service, all of that information has been digitized. Squires Watches where I bought mine from is no longer in business so when I took it in for a new battery last time I went to a smaller jewellery store in a mall. They took one look at it and said "We cant open it. Only an authorized Tag dealer can." Theres only one of those in my city, Nash Jewelers, so thats where I went next. When I handed them the watch they went directly to the computer on the counter and looked it up, then they asked me for photo ID to confirm I said who I said I was. Then they took pictures of it and updated the database again.

Here in Canada only an authorized Tag dealer can open the watch to change batteries. Only an authorized Tag service center can service a Tag watch. The closest to me is in Toronto so they shipped it to them for cleaning and seal replacement, which they said should be done every 8-10 years. That cost me $200 and was the first time it had been done. My watch has seen harsh use in extreme conditions and has never failed. That was about 5 years ago and the second hand is still ticking each second, not every 2 seconds like when it gets weak. Prior to having it serviced the battery life was 3 years.

While I was in the store I asked them which Tag watch would replace it now and he handed me a plain looking black face watch with a leather band. The price tag said $1730.

Swath group owns the eta movement and no longer sells the movement itself as was the case for years. They have restricted or eliminated supply to many long time spare parts independent repair people

Do you know when this went into effect as far as Swatch Group not selling to Third parties? Marathon uses ETA movements, but looking on their website they have everything on sale. Drastic cuts in prices.

Ball Watch's website isn't even showing what movements are in their watches anymore.

ArmourLite isn't even offering the ETA Automatics anymore. Just the Chinese movements.

Luminox now just says "Swiss Made" movement, but I can't see what movement they speak of on most of their automatics. However, some of them they are using Sellita movements.

Very interesting.

As far as I know, Tag makes their own watches and is a subsidiary of TAG Group.

When it comes to which company owns what its all a bit muddled. Its like VW owns Bugatti, but VW doesnt make Bugatti's. In the end one company will own everything. I guess that will make them the 'winner' lol.

I just checked the receipt for my watch. I bought it Dec.13 1996. The sale price was $434.78. Thats less than many Citizen watches now. The serial number was recorded at the time of sale along with my name and address.

In Canada, when a Tag watch is taken in for battery replacement, or any type of service, all of that information has been digitized. Squires Watches where I bought mine from is no longer in business so when I took it in for a new battery last time I went to a smaller jewellery store in a mall. They took one look at it and said "We cant open it. Only an authorized Tag dealer can." Theres only one of those in my city, Nash Jewelers, so thats where I went next. When I handed them the watch they went directly to the computer on the counter and looked it up, then they asked me for photo ID to confirm I said who I said I was. Then they took pictures of it and updated the database again.

Here in Canada only an authorized Tag dealer can open the watch to change batteries. Only an authorized Tag service center can service a Tag watch. The closest to me is in Toronto so they shipped it to them for cleaning and seal replacement, which they said should be done every 8-10 years. That cost me $200 and was the first time it had been done. My watch has seen harsh use in extreme conditions and has never failed. That was about 5 years ago and the second hand is still ticking each second, not every 2 seconds like when it gets weak. Prior to having it serviced the battery life was 3 years.

While I was in the store I asked them which Tag watch would replace it now and he handed me a plain looking black face watch with a leather band. The price tag said $1730.
Yeah, I had gotten Tissot and Tag swapped in my head. Sorry about that.

Don't go expecting to find good prices on vintage Rolex and Omegas. The last couple years the latter (especially, Rolex for the most part has always been collectible) has shot up in price.

Correct. He said you can find the watches that dad or mom had before they got the good watch.

No worries. The deeper one looks the more confusing it all becomes lol.
Ain't that the truth. That's why I bought the Marathon. Good enough for the US Government, good enough for me. The whole watch industry is just too confusing.

Top Bottom