Razor:
Martin J Ruben "Deluxe Nº 4153"
Razor: Aristocrat
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (5)
Brush: Torga C3 Mistura
Soap: AdP Colonia
ASL: the "Veg"
View attachment 1580385
For my last shave of the year I brought out my Aristocrat I got from @ackvil after having it tuned up and gold plated at Back Roads Gold. Thanks Jim for the nice razor, and thanks Chris for the great plating job.

After face lathering with my Torga C3 Mistura for the first time I have concluded that it needs more bowl lathering sessions...

Before using my Aristocrat for my usual three pass WTG, ATG, WTG shave, I gave the Deluxe Nº 4153 another session on my 2 x 6 coticule to see if I could improve the edge a little, and started my shave with a WTG then XTG pass on my face and back jawline.
The cutting power was slightly improved, but is still lacking crispness. I think all it needs now is some time on my translucent ark and it will be good to go.

The Aristocrat delivered a smooth comfortable shave in style. I could use this razor every day for the rest of my life and be happy.

The Witch hazel was warm, the "Veg" burned, and the Nivea balm felt nice and relaxing.

Have some Great Shaves in the coming New Year

~doug~
Glad you are enjoying the razor. Happy New Year.

this has been a great thread! I had my last shave of the year yesterday with the 10066 (already posted it).
I'm asking as a boar noob, how broken in is it by the looks?

photo_2022-12-31_16-22-28.jpgphoto_2022-12-31_16-22-25.jpg

Happy New Year! 🐷

Closed out the DecemBOAR Activity with my 31st face lathering and shave.

For today’s lather I selected Martin de Candre Rose and an Omega Pro Boar 10108 and it was awesome.

I really enjoyed the DecemBOAR Festival of Pork and have two Onega Pro boars that aren’t where I need them to be…yet, so I’m going to press on into January rotating those two.

CFF33F90-F46C-4A22-AFE5-3D4C01C1B98C.jpeg
1FA84B60-FEC7-45A8-A293-E65029859B50.jpeg

Decemboar 31st

Well here is is, the last shave of the year. I'm really grateful I participated in Decemboar. I learned a lot doing this.
I ended the year with three bests:

Best find of 2022: The Lupo .95 OC. For 10 months I had been a GC ,84 JAWS user. The Lupo is far and away a better and more efficient razor, IMO.

Best rediscovery: Chiseled Face soaps. I've had a tub of this for years but it ended up in my dead stock. I pulled it out to add forced variety during Decemboar and I was blown away at what a great soap this is. I highly recommend giving one of their soaps a try.

Best Decemboar find: The Zenith The Big One. What a FANTASTIC brush! If you're a head shaver, I think this is the only brush you need for your head. My only complaint about it is that is can be a little messy if your soap is a bit watery. I really really really like this big hog of a brush!

It's been great hanging out with you guys on here this month. Happy New Year to you all.

20221231_082437.jpg

Last edited:
New Years Eve Day
The final day of GRUME, 2022...Still In 💪

Decem🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗, 2022 completed​

SV Saturday
Inaugural Semogue Saturday

Rockwell 6S, plate 4 with generic aluminum handle
Astra Platinum (7)
Semogue 830
Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia

PXL_20221230_175731781.jpg

I want to say special thanks to all the thread sponsors for your leadership roles this year.
@FoolishMortal in GRUME
@SharpieB for DecemBOAR
@Guido75 for Muhle Mondays
@Smooth and Sharp for MdC Mondays
@Rusty Blade for the SWS
@Mike M for SV Mondays
@Balin for Synthetic Sundays!
@JAHE for Tallow Tabac Tuesdays
@FoolishMortal for Arko August
@BigJ for Shark Week
@DavidN88 for Semogue Saturdays...made it in the last day of the year!

Sorry for others that I am not remembering at this time. AND a special thanks to a GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS that have made B&B one of the most special places on the internet.

In 2023, I look forward to begin GRUYERE initiated by @KQY61.
365 Shaves in 2023 started by @Leverspro is looking for prospects that are daily shavers. Here is a link.

SPECIAL NOTES FOR THE DecemBOAR CLAN:
OK. I am a native of the state of Arkansas and lived there 60+ years.
There are no major league sports teams in the state. In Arkansas, sports fans are united behind one team...THE ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS, affectionately referred to as the "HOGS". In good years and not so good years, Arkansans remain loyal to our beloved Hogs. Calling the Hogs is WOOOOOOOOOOOOH...PIGGGGEEE...SOOOOIE!!! (WPS)
So, it has been a special honor to be a part of all you "piggie" fans this month!
I am now a resident in Louisiana. I also have a legitimate claim as a LSU fan because my father was a running back with the LSU Tigers. Go Tigers!
wp1936544.jpg

BOAR BRUSHES USED THIS MONTH:

PXL_20221230_171751095.jpg
PXL_20221230_171844374.jpg

(L to R) Semogue 830, currently #1 on my list. Omega 13564, surprisingly #2. Semogue SOC, needs more training. Omega "Italian", a great brush for Italian theme shaves. Zenith2004, easy to break in but small and the knot is not very dense. Omega 13564, way too small and stiff for my taste.

That wraps up 2022. Thanks and 🍻🥂 for a new year!
John

New Years Eve Day
The final day of GRUME, 2022...Still In 💪

Decem🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗, 2022 completed​

SV Saturday
Inaugural Semogue Saturday

Rockwell 6S, plate 4 with generic aluminum handle
Astra Platinum (7)
Semogue 830
Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia

PXL_20221230_175731781.jpg

I want to say special thanks to all the thread sponsors for your leadership roles this year.
@FoolishMortal in GRUME
@SharpieB for DecemBOAR
@Guido75 for Muhle Mondays
@Smooth and Sharp for MdC Mondays
@Rusty Blade for the SWS
@Mike M for SV Mondays
@Balin for Synthetic Sundays!
@JAHE for Tallow Tabac Tuesdays
@FoolishMortal for Arko August
@BigJ for Shark Week
@DavidN88 for Semogue Saturdays...made it in the last day of the year!

Sorry for others that I am not remembering at this time. AND a special thanks to a GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS that have made B&B one of the most special places on the internet.

In 2023, I look forward to begin GRUYERE initiated by @KQY61.
365 Shaves in 2023 started by @Leverspro is looking for prospects that are daily shavers. Here is a link.

SPECIAL NOTES FOR THE DecemBOAR CLAN:
OK. I am a native of the state of Arkansas and lived there 60+ years.
There are no major league sports teams in the state. In Arkansas, sports fans are united behind one team...THE ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS, affectionately referred to as the "HOGS". In good years and not so good years, Arkansans remain loyal to our beloved Hogs. Calling the Hogs is WOOOOOOOOOOOOH...PIGGGGEEE...SOOOOIE!!! (WPS)
So, it has been a special honor to be a part of all you "piggie" fans this month!
I am now a resident in Louisiana. I also have a legitimate claim as a LSU fan because my father was a running back with the LSU Tigers. Go Tigers!
wp1936544.jpg

BOAR BRUSHES USED THIS MONTH:

PXL_20221230_171751095.jpg
PXL_20221230_171844374.jpg

(L to R) Semogue 830, currently #1 on my list. Omega 13564, surprisingly #2. Semogue SOC, needs more training. Omega "Italian", a great brush for Italian theme shaves. Zenith2004, easy to break in but small and the knot is not very dense. Omega 13564, way too small and stiff for my taste.

That wraps up 2022. Thanks and 🍻🥂 for a new year!
John
Thank you John for you words! Such a big pleasure, sharing this thread with fine gents like you and many others...I'm probably the youngest lad on this thread, but I couldn't be happier, for "hanging" around with all of you during this DecemBOAR!

And about your choices, I'm kind of surprised that the 830 is such well ranked in your tastes, but I fully understand it. It isn't a pain to fully break it, and once it's done, the softness, is unmatchable on boars!

Wish you a fantastic NYE, and a great 2023!!!

gfzeb (1).jpg

vhJg7Mx (1).jpeg

💈 SOTD - 31.12.2022 💈

🪒 Gillette Fat Flat Bottom Tech
🔪 Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (6)
🖌️ Semogue SOC Boar
🧼 DG Massacre of the Innocents
🧴 Thayers Witch Hazel + Nivea Sensitive Cool ASL + Cerave Moisturiser cream + Nivea Sensitive Balm + Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb Extreme

So this is it...The year comes to an end, and as DecemBOAR. I hand't any kind of expectations, or even it was in my mind that I'd be daily shaving or even daily posting here all my SOTD.
But once I realised how good and fine gents were all of you, I couldn't leave this thread anymore.
Before this challenge, I had a few posts on B&B, but now, guess what? I'm on the fence for every theme here! :joy

This last shave of the year was combined with the Semogue Saturday, so I had to pull the big guns out.

I remember about complaining on how this brush was eating lather crazy, but our friend @GNR (GNR is the name of the local Police force on every district in Portugal! 😹 ) told me about the required steps to fully break in the SOC. I was about to give up on this, but thank god I didn't.
Truly marvel to face lather with this beautiful, ergonomic, soft and remarkable brush!

I have this MOTI for almost 9 months, and it's the most beautiful scent I ever smelled on a soap...I know it's inspire on Herod by Parfums de Marly, and man, this thing it's just above anything when it comes to the scent.
The performance is superb, with this Milksteak base. Great cushioning, protection, slickness, and the post-shave is near perfect!

I was a synthetic lad before this DecemBOAR, but now I've my hear divided...The little boars can definitely caught us, and once they got into rotation, they will deliver all the love that we give to them.

At the end, my rank for the boars is:

1- Zenith 506
2- Semogue SOC Mistura
3- Semogue SOC Boar
4 - Omega Pro 48
5 - Semogue 830

The 830 could be ranked higher, but I don't use creams as often as I use soaps, so it's a bit hard to load a soap properly with the little bud.
The Omega Pro 48 it's wonderful, but I hope that the Proraso Professional will take his place in the coming months :)

So that's it for this year...I wish you all of you, a great last day of this year! For me was a good year, but the final weeks weren't what I was expecting that it would be, due the loss of my grandma 🙏 :
So, enjoy every possible moment with your family, the best way you could do, no matter what!

Have a wonerful NYE, and I wish you a 2023 full of sucess, health and joy!

For those who want to, don't forget about Semogue Saturdays :)

David

SOTD: 31/12/2022

Razor: Gillette 1940's English Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow Sharp Edge, 1st use
Brush: Semogue 1305
Bowl: Face Lather
Soap: Derby Shaving Soap Stick
Aftershave: Razorock Irish Countryside Aftershave
Balm: Wickham 1912 Irish Fern Balm
Additional Care: Shave Music Courtesy Of A 1940's Jazz Playlist To Match The Age Of The Razor
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

Nice old school shave today to see the year out. Who doesn't like an old Gillette Tech. Pound for pound (weight and price) probably the best razor ever made.

*BRUSH DOWN - BRUSH DOWN*. Unfortunately my nearly new Semogue 1305 has fingernail sized chunks of paint coming away. Having said that it is a piggie with attitude and performed valiantly and so henceforth will be known as the rabid warthog rather than a plain old boar brush as it now has attitude and war wounds/scars to prove it. Not sure what to do with it, I'm defjnately keeping it. I'm wondering about taking all the paint off, sanding it and varnishing it. Any ideas? As brushes go it's a cheapie but I still want to save it.

View attachment 1580411

I pulled this out of 9 years of storage to see if it's worth keeping. I flaked off what paint I could, then smoothed and blended it to prevent further cracks and will seal up the exposed wood for a paint/wood combo. if it doesn't work, I can take it to pure wood until I get it right. and there's still prep work to do here, this was a rough sanding.

IMG_5983.jpeg

I pulled this out of 9 years of storage to see if it's worth keeping. I flaked off what paint I could, then smoothed and blended it to prevent further cracks and will seal up the exposed wood for a paint/wood combo. if it doesn't work, I can take it to pure wood until I get it right. and there's still prep work to do here, this was a rough sanding.

View attachment 1580584
That’s where my brain has gone with mine. As it’s now the rabid warthog rather than a boar it will bear its battle scars with pride.

Final shave of 2022

Blackland Blackbird SS
Feather Hi-stainless steel blade
Tabac tallow soap
Semogue Owner's Club boar in Cherry
Lea Alum Stick
Shavologist Jaipur Oud aftershave and balm

IMG_20221231_115156.jpg

Even though I love my Semogue Galahad and Zenith 506U, but I love it when SoC performs and behaves well. So in a way, I saved the best for the last shave this year.

SoC took me about 1 1/2 years of break-in period, countless heartaches but the thing is beautiful when performing well.

I wish everyone a great New year ahead, enjoy with yourself, your friends and loved ones.

Final shave of 2022

Blackland Blackbird SS
Feather Hi-stainless steel blade
Tabac tallow soap
Semogue Owner's Club boar in Cherry
Lea Alum Stick
Shavologist Jaipur Oud aftershave and balm

View attachment 1580588

Even though I love my Semogue Galahad and Zenith 506U, but I love it when SoC performs and behaves well. So in a way, I saved the best for the last shave this year.

SoC took me about 1 1/2 years of break-in period, countless heartaches but the thing is beautiful when performing well.

I wish everyone a great New year ahead, enjoy with yourself, your friends and loved ones.

That's how a good and properly broke in SOC should look like!

All the best to you 2!

this has been a great thread! I had my last shave of the year yesterday with the 10066 (already posted it).
I'm asking as a boar noob, how broken in is it by the looks?

View attachment 1580499View attachment 1580500

Happy New Year! 🐷
Omegas break in quickly. my 10065 looks about the same. you should see incremental changes (increasingly soft face feel to a point, maybe floppier [Semogues more so than Omegas], maybe more dried splay, etc) until it reaches it's final form.

yours looks pretty close if not all the way there. face feel? I can't tell from the pics but splay's about done.

Thirty first shave of Decemboar. I've grown fond of the cherry handled SOC boar even though I've only used it five times. Very comfortable and generous with lather for four passes.
Each year I see brushes here that I'm missing from my arsenal. Last year it was this cherry SOC and as much as I like it I've got my eye on that Taj resin SOC. The most obvious missing brush is the Omega Connought Jade. But I think the Zenith olive wood will probably come first. But then, sadly, I saw this yesterday:
Image7298015799204302762.jpg
So, I think I'll have plenty of work waiting for Decemboar 2023.

SOTD.
Image8478798573926453294.jpg
Image6382788131468551672.jpg
Image2852616755102411377.jpg

🐖🐷 DecemBOAR! 31 -- 🎆🎉🎆🎊New Year's Eve Edition🎆🎉🎋🎆🎉 🐷🐖

Razor
: Gillette Tech (pre-war)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Zenith Copper Boar Brush B33
Soap & A/S: Barrister & Mann - Seville

A beautiful copper-handled brush arrived in yesterday's mail, making for a perfect end of DecemBOAR! Final shave of 2022 is copper-themed.

IMG_20221231_110814036.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Decemboar 31, Omega Jade

Thanks to all who participated and made Decemboar 22 far from boaring. It was a hoot to cycle through my boars, some favourites and some works in progress. Lots of nice specimens out there, great enthusiasm and thanks for sharing. Health and well being to all for the year ahead!
BC69466B-2241-48EF-A865-3C1B1F1130A6.jpeg
7A636FC5-E157-4AC2-8899-6F18847818F5.jpeg

Top Bottom