What's new

🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗 DecemBOAR 2022!!! Only Boar Brushes for all of December! 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗

3D54067A-3A74-4AFB-BFD1-7FA54A207EC5.jpeg

New Holiday Gear Week / DecemBoar

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: @Atelier DURDAN "Le Maurice" (dual-comb 1.2 gap, brass)
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (D3)

Soap: Stirling Soap Company - Deton-8
Brush: Omega Boar 10005/80005
Bowl: Cobalt Blue Tillamook

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

For today's shave, I went with the Le Maurice 1.2 gap base plate. I again chose to use the open comb on my left side and the closed comb on my right.

There is a noticeable gap with this head compared to the 0.8 gap (and even the 1.0 gap) but that didn't put me off at all. I actually welcomed it.

My soap choice was the new to me, Denton-8 by Stirling Soap Company. This soap's scent is inspired by Spicebomb from Viktor & Rolf and is well, bomb! If you know me, you know that I just love cologne inspired soap scents and this one is right up my alley.

I did a four-pass shave and found that this 1.2 gap head produced a smooth shave more easily and with fewer weepers (only one today) than the other two gaps/heads.

The open-comb side, as expected did have a touch more blade feel than the safety bar side. I should disclose that under normal circumstances I tend to gravitate more toward open-comb razors. I just happened to like the extra blade feel they provide but with this razor, the difference between the open-comb and the safety bar side is relatively small in my opinion so I could see being happy with either type.

With a great bbs shave had, I splashed on some Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave to top things off. This one is one of my favs and is recommended if you're into vintage aftershave scents.

Alright gentlemen, happy Friday and New Year's Eve, Eve. 😁

This will be my last shave for this year. I'm very much looking forward to next year and for life to improve. I'll leave it at that but I do want you all to take care of yourselves, your families, and your friends. Life is nothing without other people to share it with. Appreciate what you do have, be it people or possessions and love as much as you can. This world needs more love then anything else.

Rock on gentlemen and enjoy your shaves!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used the Zenith unbleached Black Resin Handle 506N XSE today. What a lovely brush. It isn't fully broken-in but the scrub, even in that state, don't poke me. It released the lather well. I've been using Canada Shaving Soap for this whole month, I think and it's easy to lather and didn't provide a challenge for any of the 4 boars I've rotated this month.

Today's brush was a Zenith unbleached boar, just delightful. I've put a rubber band around the base of the knot for a bit more firmness. The bristles on this brush are quite soft and the facial feel is really nice, no pokiness or scritch. A fun brush for ~US $8

This has been a fun month of boars! Thanks @SharpieB for organizing this. Be well everyone, and I do hope that 2023 is a great year for all.

PXL_20221230_221306918.PORTRAIT.jpg

DECEMBOAR, Day 30

View attachment 1579926
This has been my final DECEMBOAR shave in 2022!

Omega 011842 Premium Jade boar, again...and she has begun to split hairs eventually...

View attachment 1579932

Thank you @SharpieB for hosting this highly enjoyable and informative thread.

Furthermore, my thanks go out to everyone who participated and shared their knowledge on the 🐷 brushes... 👍👍
I definitely see a Zenith boar brush coming for 2023... bloody enablers 🤣😉
I hope to see you all again in good health in DECEMBER 2023. 🐽

Cheers
Guido

@JAHE, you've had some of the best pictures, insights and gear on this thread. Your posts are always a pleasure to read. Thank you for the effort you put into this, it's much appreciated!

I cannot wait till my Jade starts to look like yours. It's got a ways to go and I'm trying to be patient.

Waiting GIF

I've been enjoying Decemboar even more this year than last, but my boar brushes really shine in the summer. There's nothing like scrubbing your face with a boar after a some dirty, sweaty yard work or a morning run.

Also, I have noticed the Omega Jade boar has a large following. I think it needs its own mini event, like a special day or week maybe. Anyone else like the idea of having a small thing in the summer for the illustrious Jade?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I12-30-22.Athena.CanadaSS.Butterscotch.Unlbeached.640JPG.JPG

This and my other new unbleached Zenith need more offline breaking in. I thought maybe they were ready for primetime but I was wrong.

Zenith unbleached boars are worth the effort.

Certainly some gentlemen are less bothered by brush burn than me. Maybe I should call it subjective brush burn because I can't say I see anything.

It has been a good month with the piggies. It's not over.

Happy shaves,

Jim

DecemBOAR Shave 15

View attachment 1580341

Another great shave with the Zenith B33, I can feel it's starting to break in some now. By next DecemBOAR it's going to be seriously dialed. I'm going to try a few Shave of the Week entries next month with this brush.

View attachment 1580342
Lovely looking brush in copper. I have a similar copper handle and really like the patina look. Your ring of green on the base of the knot where the copper patina is affecting the bristles is pretty bright! Some one told me, helpfully, (could have been you!) to not hang these copper handled boars on a brush hanger as the forks of the brush holder hold moisture against the bristles. Could be wrong. Take it for what it's worth.

Lovely looking brush in copper. I have a similar copper handle and really like the patina look. Your ring of green on the base of the knot where the copper patina is affecting the bristles is pretty bright! Some one told me, helpfully, (could have been you!) to not hang these copper handled boars on a brush hanger as the forks of the brush holder hold moisture against the bristles. Could be wrong. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks @Leverspro!

I've been looking at that green ring concerningly. I wonder if it's the reverse of what you suggest - I have just been letting it dry on it's handle upright. I don't have a hanger big enough to squeeze that knot into!

I've been taking an extra step to scrub that ring removes it, but I was lazy this time. I need to find a jumbo brush hanger.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
DecemBOAR 2022: 30 of 30 = 100%
Razor: Rocnel Sailor
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Omega 10081 Silver Beehive Handle (23mm Boar)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Canada Shave Soap
Aftershave: Stetson Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Stetson Cologne Splash
20221230_074248~2.jpg

The link below takes you to my Journal which has full notes for this shave and more:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12068587

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
DecemBoar
Friday SOTD
Daily Double

Razor:
Martin J Ruben "Deluxe Nº 4153"
Razor: Aristocrat
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (5)
Brush: Torga C3 Mistura
Soap: AdP Colonia
ASL: the "Veg"
20221230_152601.jpg

For my last shave of the year I brought out my Aristocrat I got from @ackvil after having it tuned up and gold plated at Back Roads Gold. Thanks Jim for the nice razor, and thanks Chris for the great plating job.

After face lathering with my Torga C3 Mistura for the first time I have concluded that it needs more bowl lathering sessions...

Before using my Aristocrat for my usual three pass WTG, ATG, WTG shave, I gave the Deluxe Nº 4153 another session on my 2 x 6 coticule to see if I could improve the edge a little, and started my shave with a WTG then XTG pass on my face and back jawline.
The cutting power was slightly improved, but is still lacking crispness. I think all it needs now is some time on my translucent ark and it will be good to go.

The Aristocrat delivered a smooth comfortable shave in style. I could use this razor every day for the rest of my life and be happy.

The Witch hazel was warm, the "Veg" burned, and the Nivea balm felt nice and relaxing.

Have some Great Shaves in the coming New Year

~doug~

@JAHE, you've had some of the best pictures, insights and gear on this thread. Your posts are always a pleasure to read. Thank you for the effort you put into this, it's much appreciated!
Thanks for the kind feedback ☺️, but I'm just a beginner when it comes to 🐽 brush knowledge. 😀

I cannot wait till my Jade starts to look like yours. It's got a ways to go and I'm trying to be patient.
My Jade, too, has WAYS to go until she is fully broken in... but she's making initial progress! However, she's still a super juvenile brush!

Enjoy your Jade! :) 😀

@Crisp Rat
A special week dedicated to the JADE would be fun. Great idea... Just get it started...!

Last edited:
SOTD: 31/12/2022

Razor: Gillette 1940's English Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow Sharp Edge, 1st use
Brush: Semogue 1305
Bowl: Face Lather
Soap: Derby Shaving Soap Stick
Aftershave: Razorock Irish Countryside Aftershave
Balm: Wickham 1912 Irish Fern Balm
Additional Care: Shave Music Courtesy Of A 1940's Jazz Playlist To Match The Age Of The Razor
Additional Care: Wife Sniff Test = Not Too Bad At All

Nice old school shave today to see the year out. Who doesn't like an old Gillette Tech. Pound for pound (weight and price) probably the best razor ever made.

*BRUSH DOWN - BRUSH DOWN*. Unfortunately my nearly new Semogue 1305 has fingernail sized chunks of paint coming away. Having said that it is a piggie with attitude and performed valiantly and so henceforth will be known as the rabid warthog rather than a plain old boar brush as it now has attitude and war wounds/scars to prove it. Not sure what to do with it, I'm defjnately keeping it. I'm wondering about taking all the paint off, sanding it and varnishing it. Any ideas? As brushes go it's a cheapie but I still want to save it.

3D08B03E-B78E-4E17-9035-4C7D273BE1A7.jpeg

Decemboar 31 2022

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Kent/MWF
Brush - Omega 10075
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Gillette Platinum (2)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice

For my last shave of the year it seemed appropriate to pick my favourite items of the year, none of them are massively elusive or expensive but are ones I seem to find myself using more often than not.

Kent aka Mitchells Wool Fat - it can be a little finicky to lather to begin with but once you find a way to lather it, it produces a beautiful lather with great post shave feel, and I rarely ever pick up a weeper with this shaving soap.
Omega 10075 - I think I've used the brush for about 80 shaves and it's fully broken and it's a delight to use. It has great face feel, doesn't eat lather, keeps it shape during the shave and it doesn't shed any bristles.
Fat Handle Tech - My favourite razor by quite some margin, efficient enough to get a close shave with a few passes but mild enough to use for daily use and quite a forgiving razor to use if the right angle is used.
Old Spice - it's not the Shulton classic but the version which can be bought on the UK high street, it still smells great to my nose and feels fantastic on the skin.

I've really enjoyed participating in this year's Decemboar, and thanks greatly to @SharpieB for organizing and putting on this great thread.

Anyway gents, I wish you well for the New Year and all the best for 2023.

IMG_20221231_123641.jpg

Decemboar 31 2022

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Kent/MWF
Brush - Omega 10075
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Gillette Platinum (2)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice

For my last shave of the year it seemed appropriate to pick my favourite items of the year, none of them are massively elusive or expensive but are ones I seem to find myself using more often than not.

Kent aka Mitchells Wool Fat - it can be a little finicky to lather to begin with but once you find a way to lather it, it produces a beautiful lather with great post shave feel, and I rarely ever pick up a weeper with this shaving soap.
Omega 10075 - I think I've used the brush for about 80 shaves and it's fully broken and it's a delight to use. It has great face feel, doesn't eat lather, keeps it shape during the shave and it doesn't shed any bristles.
Fat Handle Tech - My favourite razor by quite some margin, efficient enough to get a close shave with a few passes but mild enough to use for daily use and quite a forgiving razor to use if the right angle is used.
Old Spice - it's not the Shulton classic but the version which can be bought on the UK high street, it still smells great to my nose and feels fantastic on the skin.

I've really enjoyed participating in this year's Decemboar, and thanks greatly to @SharpieB for organizing and putting on this great thread.

Anyway gents, I wish you well for the New Year and all the best for 2023.

View attachment 1580444

Such a nice and classic kit right there!

Hope to find you on Semogue thread for the coming months :)

Have a nice NYE and a good 2023! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom