What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Cheap thrills, an early Rotbart/Gillette Slim Twist
BCF615E8-A821-4FF9-AE90-6D2D3D1EC646.jpeg

Recently acquired two new razors to join my Gillette Slim K1 "birthday" date coded razor. I picked up a Gillette Travel Tech and a Super Speed Flair Tip both K1 date code. Both are in really good condition and were purchased for very short money compared to what I paid for my Slim a while back. I have picked up a WW1 travel case from RE for the Travel Tech, but need to figure out a case to store my full size razors as my collection is expanding quickly!

k1_razors_1.jpgk1_razors_2.jpgk1_razors_3.jpg

Gold plated, rhodium plated, gold plated.
I've had worse days in my life 🤩View attachment 1231600

Maaaaaan - those are beauties Erik, congrats :a50:

...However I need to stay in the game here, even if I can only offer rhodium and not gorgeous gold :a17:

I too have quite a score inbound! ... Meet the low quality seller pics of the second rarest of all matched British Aristocrat sets: The coveted #14 set.

I am blown away! This is the first #14 set I ever saw for sale in the 4 years I have been sucked into this crazy hobby, and I miraculously got it for a very acceptable price in what appears to be magnificent condition.

Sometimes there is just not predicting how these bay auctions will go. This auction had 35 watchers so I was expecting a stampede, however apparently only a few bidders wanted to join.

27DFFA3A-2170-4D0E-A805-DE7526B6EE92.jpeg
39AF1F75-9FCA-4CF6-8396-76D857A1B14C.jpeg
1D61C44B-30A0-4A0A-B2F4-3DCEC876ECB7.jpeg
D638103D-6FB2-474C-8961-25A539E4C228.jpeg

Last edited:
Received my 3rd gen British Aristocrat from South Dakota Guy yesterday and I have to give it a try today. Now I just need to get my hands on a 1st gen Aristocrat and then I will probably move on something else :D.

View attachment 1231351View attachment 1231352View attachment 1231353

Gorgeous, congrats!!

The 3rd gen has its own wonderful characteristics, supernice and efficient. The 1st gen is another and equally worthy beast. They should both be enjoyed in their own right. And then the best/mildest shaver of them all is the wonderful 4th gen :thumbup1:

Maaaaaan - those are beauties Erik, congrats :a50:

...However I need to stay in the game here, even if I can only offer rhodium and not gorgeous gold :a17:

I too have quite a score inbound! ... Meet the low quality seller pics of the second rarest of all matched British Aristocrat sets: The coveted #14 set.

I am blown away! This is the first #14 set I ever saw for sale in the 4 years I have been sucked into this crazy hobby, and I miraculously got it for a very acceptable price in what appears to be magnificent condition.

Sometimes there is just not predicting how these bay auctions will go. This auction had 35 watchers so I was expecting a stampede, however apparently only a few bidders wanted to join.

View attachment 1231740View attachment 1231741View attachment 1231742View attachment 1231743
I think we are in need of a new picture of your entire Brit Aristocrat collection Peter!

After a few years I finally managed to get a Schick Platinum.

This razor has been manufactured from the late 60s until the 80s. Here is the patent US3466746A - Sectional cap type double edge safety razor unit - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US3466746 Applied for in 1967, granted 1969. The earlier variety had a metal TTO and no inscriptions on the doors. Mine is the later model with a plastic knob and "Schick" on the doors. The rumors these were sold in Eastern Bloc countries in the 90s are completely false. The manufacturing of that razor has been stopped in the 80s. I know and have the Schick that was sold here in the 90s. They are 3 piece all plastic crap, that is pretty fragile and terribly mild - BBS is impossible.

I gotta admit the Schick Platinum is very well made. Everything is absolutely precise, gaps and exposure. Smooth mechanism too. Don't tell me that is because of the mostly plastic construction. I have a Feather Portable that is also mostly plastic with only the doors of metal - one blade edge has more exposure.

IMG_20210305_100023.jpg
IMG_20210305_100103.jpg

It's still in transit and I can't remember it for certain but maybe J3?

It's a diamond plate not the rectangular one though so I assumed it would be an early specimen.

How rare are the blue toothbrush models?
IIRC the diamond bottom plate was made from 1964 until 1966 , then they swithched to rectangular baseplate. I bought one rectangular plate mint with the original blades sealed and they had the L code - 1966.
I don't know what you mean by "blue toothbrush models"

IIRC the diamond bottom plate was made from 1964 until 1966 , then they swithched to rectangular baseplate. I bought one rectangular plate mint with the original blades sealed and they had the L code - 1966.
I don't know what you mean by "blue toothbrush models"

ad blue) same as this white model but in blue. Sometimes they pop up in France, Italy and UK. It is not the model with the tapered round blue handle.

I'll update this thread with the date code once I get it.

ad blue) same as this white model but in blue. Sometimes they pop up in France, Italy and UK. It is not the model with the tapered round blue handle.

I'll update this thread with the date code once I get it.

There are at least 3 or 4 colours. I have seen green, white, black, orange. I haven't seen a blue handle, so it is probably very rare.

Three different razors arrived today.

Two Techs from the Bay, a plastic handle tech and an aluminum (going by the weight) ball end tech (can't figure out from the Mr Razor site which one's they are).

Also got a Rapira Swedish Supersteel razor from RBC. The build quality on the head isn't great, blade gap looks pretty big, all in all I think this will cut me 😂 . BUT it has a nice heavy handle, so that's a plus...

Rapira 1.jpgrapira 2.jpgRapira 3.jpgRapira 4.jpgRapira.jpgtech 1.jpgTechs 2.jpg

Top Bottom