What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Received my 1930's Gillette "New" short comb thin bar razor today.
Can't wait to try it out!
-Billy
proxy.php

Sent from Banjo_Billy using Tapatalk

Isn't that a long comb on your picture? I have the same razor, except it is stamped "Otto Roth Inc." on the bottom plate.

Isn't that a long comb on your picture? I have the same razor, except it is stamped "Otto Roth Inc." on the bottom plate.
Ivan_101,
I think you are correct, when I bought it, the description said "short comb", being a newb I didn't know the difference.
So I guess I'm looking for a short comb now, Lol...
Thanks for pointing it out!
-Billy

Ivan_101,
I think you are correct, when I bought it, the description said "short comb", being a newb I didn't know the difference.
So I guess I'm looking for a short comb now, Lol...
Thanks for pointing it out!
-Billy

You will find proponents for both (I favor the long comb myself) but both are outstanding.

I started with a merkur 23c over a decade ago and only bought vintage razors since till I randomly came across this thing the bay, I was drawn to the handle. it arrived and man the handle is big and chunky but it fits my hand quite nice. handle comes in at 98 grams. came with a ikon sbs head for a total weight of 152 grams. slim and 23c for reference
DSCF9419.JPG

Here is a Rocket that I received last month. Late 50s - has the patent Nr. on the bottom plate. It wasn't cheap, but is in fantastic condition. Has "II" on the bottom plate, which as some of you probably know, means medium aggression. Most TTOs in Europe had the "II"

IMG_20210228_143307.jpg

The one I have bought previously looks the same except for a very important detail. It doesn't have the "II" and has wider gap and more exposure. Here is a photo of them both. The older one (came from France) on the left and the new acquisition on the right (came from Spain). Can you notice the different gaps? And that's with a blade in the left razor (no blade in the right one).

IMG_20210228_143452.jpg

Here is a Rocket that I received last month. Late 50s - has the patent Nr. on the bottom plate. It wasn't cheap, but is in fantastic condition. Has "II" on the bottom plate, which as some of you probably know, means medium aggression. Most TTOs in Europe had the "II"

View attachment 1229633

The one I have bought previously looks the same except for a very important detail. It doesn't have the "II" and has wider gap and more exposure. Here is a photo of them both. The older one (came from France) on the left and the new acquisition on the right (came from Spain). Can you notice the different gaps? And that's with a blade in the left razor (no blade in the right one).

View attachment 1229635
My Flair Tip rocket says made in England with lI.

I told myself that I should get rid of some razors, but...
There is this antique store right next to a truck stop and I had some time. In this one display case I found a dozen or more DE's a few SE's and of course three or four Straight's.
Seeing that there were so many choices and priced at $10, I couldn't leave without buying one.
A '48-'50 Super Speed
PXL_20210301_233217355~2.jpg

I told myself that I should get rid of some razors, but...
There is this antique store right next to a truck stop and I had some time. In this one display case I found a dozen or more DE's a few SE's and of course three or four Straight's.
Seeing that there were so many choices and priced at $10, I couldn't leave without buying one.
A '48-'50 Super SpeedView attachment 1230464
Thought you were going to say you had to buy them all lol. I would've ;)

I saw a triangle slot Canadian Gillette Tech head on eBay for £1.50 thought I'd buy it even though I already have one, I recently got it replated so I stopped using it as much as I use to. This spare will get a lot of use. I received the head this morning & to my surprise it is in fairly good condition, this one is nickel plated.

From all the Tech's the older Canadian variants with the triangle slots are my favourites, I have a hybrid Tech, all the English variants, all the Made in the USA variants (both triangle slot & oval slot)

Probably miniscule differences between them all but I definitely can tell the difference between each, the blade gap varies with each, nowadays we are more savvy & look for blade gap & we all know even a little difference is noticeable. My triangle slot USA Tech's which are referred to as the Pre War Tech's are not as efficient as their Canadian brothers from the same era.

I cleaned it up & stuck on a Merkur 33c handle as it's short & has the perfect weight & balance for the head.
20210227_234144-01.jpeg

20210228_220037.jpg

20210228_215212.jpg

20210227_234315.jpg

20210227_231808.jpg

Top Bottom