What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I've read more than once that Rapira is very aggressive. The ball end Tech is 50s - Aluminium handle and bottom plate. The plastic handle is 70s most probably. Does it have a code?

Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Precision razor, smooth and aggressive.
The C954 Bronze is beautiful, I just could not help myself. Lol..

proxy.php

Sent from Banjo_Billy using Tapatalk

I've read more than once that Rapira is very aggressive. The ball end Tech is 50s - Aluminium handle and bottom plate. The plastic handle is 70s most probably. Does it have a code?
Yes, I've heard that about the Rapira Lux Razor, I think the Swedish is the same but with a metal handle. I have all the Rapira blades so will probably do a thread at some point trying them all in that razor.
Thanks, no date codes on either of the techs.

Yet another razor I forgot to post. Bought a couple of months ago. A C1 (1957) Super-Speed. I didn't have that variation. My 1960 SS although with the same high profile head has a different handle and inside the bottom end there is a ring. The C1 as some of you know doesn't have a ring, and like the 40s SS doesn't rattle. The razor had cream residue all over, but a good cleaning revealed it is in almost pristine condition. What a nice surprise!

SS C1.jpg

What do you mean blade alignment issues they avoided? Also, i like the color but they have a variety :)

- Fayiz D.
The earlier (actually the first) design of blade alignment used by Gillette was with 2 "bullets" on the top plate and 2 holes in the bottom plate. There are such razors by many manufacturers today. Quite often that design doesn't provide the best alignment. Later on in the 30s they implemented a better design with a groove through the bottom plate. The 2 grooves on your Baikal are basically that solution as opposed to the bullet type.

Last edited:
The earlier (actually the first) design of blade alignment used by Gillette was with 2 "bullets" on the top plate and 2 holes in the bottom plate. There are such razors by many manufacturers today. Quite often that design doesn't provide the best alignment. Later on in the 30s they implemented a better design with a groove through the bottom plate. The 2 grooves on your Baikal are basically that solution as opposed to the bullet type.
OH! yea the post for the blades

- Fayiz D.

A well-loved New Improved made its way to the house — traded a GEM Featherweight and a black handled super speed and a couple bucks in cash. I never took to the Featherweight and the SS was a duplicate. I wish the finish on the cap was as good as under the base plate which is just as bright as when it was produced. The corners are just ever so off/bent, but you have to really look to see it. I have a near pristine Tuckaway, so I’m glad to have one I can use without fear of dropping it and ruining a good set.
C9D61BAB-1E2C-4F57-8BB5-E14CDAF91622.jpeg
C929D870-0AD6-4782-A05F-25712E041047.jpeg

Between the two world wars the region of Solingen in Germany housed numerous steel/cutlery companies that also made razors. One of these was the Karl Engels company producing the wonderful art deco designed EMIR razors.

This travel set is inbound thanks to the generosity of Jake, our highly regarded fellow in these parts. I begged and pleaded with him for me to take custodianship of this beauty - and I think he could not bear seeing a grown man cry so he kindly accepted :blush::laugh:

It holds a gorgeous razor with a very intriguing dual bar setup. And I must say - rarely have I run this eagerly to the mailbox to check. Enjoy these few fabulous photos and look up the dedicated very interesting thread that Jake wrote with even more photos.

Thanks Jake!

C02A0D49-B825-4625-A582-F2779440D7FA.jpeg
758350C1-A9CD-4987-8CD2-430B9880042F.jpeg

Amazing
Between the two world wars the region of Solingen in Germany housed numerous steel/cutlery companies that also made razors. One of these was the Karl Engels company producing the wonderful art deco designed EMIR razors.

This travel set is inbound thanks to the generosity of Jake, our highly regarded fellow in these parts. I begged and pleaded with him for me to take custodianship of this beauty - and I think he could not bear seeing a grown man cry so he kindly accepted :blush::laugh:

It holds a gorgeous razor with a very intriguing dual bar setup. And I must say - rarely have I run this eagerly to the mailbox to check. Enjoy these few fabulous photos and look up the dedicated very interesting thread that Jake wrote with even more photos.

Thanks Jake!

View attachment 1234596View attachment 1234597

Top Bottom