What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

would like to know of its journey and of the work being done in each country, would be interesting to know the details👍🏼

Will let you know for sure - will post a separate thread!

First up is repair of the handle crack(s) and stabilizing the handle structure. The handle barrel actually comes off right now so needs to be refixed. Also a correction of the slightly crooked corner tooth.

Then it needs a tripple layer silver hue but first it needs to have a good prep of scratches and marks (as much as possible). It will never come to look as new given all the marks it has received during the last 90 years but it can get pretty nice. I intend to use it every now and then once done. Pretty cool to use as it is so rare.

...Starting a new project 😜 This was not supposed to happen but seller generously accepted a huge discount and I thought it worth to preserve it.

This old fella has fallen a bit from grace and needs a lot of TLC. Handle is cracked and plating is shot. Still the experts say it is salveagable so it will now undergo a full restauration expected to last a few months. This original silver version is significantly rarer than the gold version, which is rare as hens’ teeth in itself. We only know of 3 other silver specimens in existence.

So, over the next months this razor will travel 10,000+ miles across the world and back, visiting 3 countries to be brought back to a second life of admiration and happy shaving 😍

View attachment 1225287View attachment 1225288View attachment 1225289
Peter that is amazing. Excuse my ignorance, but is it a Cavalier variant?

Hi Thomas my friend, it‘s been too long! - It is a New President in the rare silver version :001_wub:
Way too long. I am hopeful all is good in DK!

I am down to 3 razors, a Wolfman, New SC and Pre-war Tech. I think, rather I know, a New President silver version would round out my foursome marvelously! I will follow this project with great interest!! :thumbup:

Wow. That is a grand old razor. Beautiful. Looking forward to following its journey.
...Starting a new project 😜 This was not supposed to happen but seller generously accepted a huge discount and I thought it worth to preserve it.

This old fella has fallen a bit from grace and needs a lot of TLC. Handle is cracked and plating is shot. Still the experts say it is salveagable so it will now undergo a full restauration expected to last a few months. This original silver version is significantly rarer than the gold version, which is rare as hens’ teeth in itself. We only know of 3 other silver specimens in existence.

So, over the next months this razor will travel 10,000+ miles across the world and back, visiting 3 countries to be brought back to a second life of admiration and happy shaving 😍

PAA META-4

proxy.php

proxy.php

Gillette 1904 double ring just came in tonight. It shaves really smooth, smoother than my 1917 old type surprisingly. My vintage collection is nearly done. Just need to find a big fellow. And still on the fence about one of those beautiful bulldog hand aristocrats.

note- there are some pretty bad scratches on the underside of the plate that connects to the handle. Anyone know if I would to send this off to someone if it could be fixed with replating?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 41

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

Wow, Pete! Over to Chris and Chris I assume?

although I'm not a collector of the older vintage razors, i love looking at the pics that you guys display of your collections, i bet these old razors could tell some stories, if only they could speak eh😁💙

Sunday drove (90 min) to a burger place the wife likes... near where I saw some AutoStrops a few months ago (figured it was a win/win) and picked up the two (passed on the VC2--don't want to deal w/proprietary blades)--unfortunately I didn't catch (bad eyes/lighting) that the blade stops were missing from the VB1 (it's a WWI Army Issue) so it's presently unusable (I'll try to repair/look for a replacement comb/guard), but the VC1 just needs cleaning. After lunch we drove another hour to a place we'd never been to--she points out a cased 58 TV Special Super Speed, but I was drawn to the black patina of a Single Ring in front of it. I didn't have a single ring, heck I'd never seen one in the wild, so it was "sold" before I picked it up (okay, the patina/no bent or broken teeth/and $14 price tag helped). It checked all the boxes--patent date above the knob, no "Made in USA" or "Gillette" diamond logo under the guard, and serial number on the barrel versus the guard got me thinking "it's old, but how old?" It didn't matter, and feeling like I'd already gotten a steal, I picked up a few NOS AutoStrop blades as well. A quick look on B&B when we got home confirmed it was made in late 1908. Never thought I'd find one in the wild, so I now have a representative razor from every Gillette decade, but still looking for a silver 1917 Single Ring, so the quest continues!
8C34FE45-9637-4CB6-8AAA-9AB5923257E6.jpeg
03C1C894-8525-4DA1-9908-E3DBB43C828C.jpeg0E6D0C7C-BC66-4A24-AFB3-26F8173BF054.jpeg0ACDCE9C-C303-4FE7-A6A4-FB542622C052.jpeg826F7513-6DF3-4053-A4B2-0A390CF939B8.jpeg7DB4ACF1-0BF6-436F-AE6C-994A7AFDEFDF.jpeg

A J-3 (1964) Super-Speed in decent condition. Low profile head. One of the endcaps is a little bent, so when you open the doors one opens more than the other. Not a problem and the razor is fully functional. The other one I have is the same code but in much better condition, so I am going to use this one.

IMG_20210225_155718.jpg

Top Bottom