What's new

You can only own one suit - Black or Navy?

I'd go with charcoal first, then navy, then gray. Charcoal is the most versatile in my opinion. The 70% off entire site is a damn good sale. I paid $277 ($895 retail) for a Signature series suit late last year. Similar sale. I like the Traveler Tailored fit dress pants, so I am going to pull the trigger on a Traveler Tailored Fit suit ($795 retail on sale for $225).

$bb.jpg

Classic B&B!

Out of the two, Navy is better.....Grey is best.

Personally, I wouldn't buy from Jos A Bank. There clothes are cheap on the tag with the "Always changing sales" and they are cheaply made. Yes, just my opinion.

Nowadays major department stores are all struggling. Sales are occuring NON-Stop! I would check out Dillards, Macy's, etc. and see what you can find on sale that's of higher quality. I'm not just speaking out of my rear-end, I've made the mistake of buying at JosAB and found myself looking for another suit ridiculously soon.

Color-wise, sounds like you have that figured out. With your options, frankly, you cant go wrong. If you go pinstripe, make sure they are subtle. Bold will stand out and make it obvious you only have 1 suit.

I re-read your post and would advise you to wait. Jos A. Bank's has sales literally all the time. Try googling what their best sale is but I know that I have seen suits for sale from there for $150. Unless you need that suit asap, I would wait.

There are some suits on their website for $150, but I'm getting a more expensive suit I guess. I think the slim fit are more than the standard fit.

Personally, I wouldn't buy from Jos A Bank. There clothes are cheap on the tag with the "Always changing sales" and they are cheaply made. Yes, just my opinion.

Nowadays major department stores are all struggling. Sales are occuring NON-Stop! I would check out Dillards, Macy's, etc. and see what you can find on sale that's of higher quality. I'm not just speaking out of my rear-end, I've made the mistake of buying at JosAB and found myself looking for another suit ridiculously soon.

Color-wise, sounds like you have that figured out. With your options, frankly, you cant go wrong. If you go pinstripe, make sure they are subtle. Bold will stand out and make it obvious you only have 1 suit.

For under $300? That fits as well?

My wife's already giving me grief for looking at a suit under $300. She thinks my black JC Penny peiced suit that buldges in the front looks good.

For under $300? That fits as well?

My wife's already giving me grief for looking at a suit under $300. She thinks my black JC Penny peiced suit that buldges in the front looks good.

Yes. Dillards carries Austin Reed and their Hart Schaffner Marx suits could both be less if you can find what you want on sale. I've purchased both for less than $250. FWIW, I wear a 48 in coat and 36 in pants. I'm strickly talking about the cost of the suit, not the alterations - I'm all to familiar with the cost of those, and how hard it is to find a suit that fits. For the most part, I only buy custom now. Good Luck!

I worked corporate for many many years. I suggest flat tones, no stripes, as these suits can be interchanged with color shirts and shoes and also worn for numerous occasions. I always go solids over stripes but out of my 12 suits 2 are striped. 1 blue one grey. Grey with stripes is great for office or with khakis like a sport jacket.
be sure to get 1 pair of blakc and one pair of brown shoes with matching color belts.
extra points for an elegant snot rag (lol- handkerchief) but I always use plain white (typical Caribbean style like my dad).

I'd personally avoid the black suits striped. not as versatile. but that's just me.

There are some suits on their website for $150, but I'm getting a more expensive suit I guess. I think the slim fit are more than the standard fit.

Okay, sounds good then. I'd also suggest you take it to a 3rd party tailor after you buy it so they can tell you whether it's worth it or not and whether it's a good fit. Tailoring through a 3rd party could be cheaper as well. I don't think Jos A. Bank makes nice suits but they are affordable, and we're not all made of money so I understand.

I also would skip the stripes if possible. I think they look too much like a business suit whereas a solid pattern is usable anywhere.

To me you should buy suits in this order:

1 - solid navy
2 - solid charcoal
3 - solid black
4+ - variations of the above with stripes

I say NAVY...Wear as a Navy suit.
Wear Navy coat with khaki slacks.
Wear Navy coat with gray slacks.
Navy coat with white slacks.
You now have Four outfits.....You're welcome. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom