What's new

Blackland Blackbird Ti - Satin Only Thoughts

I’ll probably swap my machined for this one eventually. I really like the look. Or keep both considering it’s my number one shaver at the moment.

The machined is a nice finish and will probably be worth more due to the present circumstances. The satin is just a tad more subdued. It reminds me a bit of my Rocca r95 except the BB finish seems smoother somehow - less grainy. I have plenty of shiny razors so this is a nice change.

I can't wait to give it a go but I'm in the middle of Tiger Week. Maybe tonight I'll do a test flight with a Minora Stainless since they have a lion on the tuck, haha.

The machined is a nice finish and will probably be worth more due to the present circumstances. The satin is just a tad more subdued. It reminds me a bit of my Rocca r95 except the BB finish seems smoother somehow - less grainy. I have plenty of shiny razors so this is a nice change.

I can't wait to give it a go but I'm in the middle of Tiger Week. Maybe tonight I'll do a test flight with a Minora Stainless since they have a lion on the tuck, haha.
I prefer Matte over high polished so these are right in my wheelhouse!

Looking forward to hearing about the first flight!

I've read there used to be an issue with the BB stand where it couldn't/wouldn't hold the razor straight. Can anyone advise if this has been corrected?

“... BBTi SB57, winds are calm, visibility 10 miles, cleared to land runway BBS 01.”

blackbird-2.jpg

Well The Ti Blackbird has landed! Much credit and respect to Blackland Razors (and the USPS) for surprisingly quick shipping from coast to coast! I order her 4 pm on Sunday, Eastern Standard Time, and received in today, Thursday, before noon! Pics, razor and shave impressions will be forthcoming. Happy shaves!

Well The Ti Blackbird has landed! Much credit and respect to Blackland Razors (and the USPS) for surprisingly quick shipping from coast to coast! I order her 4 pm on Sunday, Eastern Standard Time, and received in today, Thursday, before noon! Pics, razor and shave impressions will be forthcoming. Happy shaves!
Excited to hear your impressions as another Timeless Ti user. I think you’re in for a real treat.

And I totally agree that USPS is absolutely doing an incredible job lately. More timely than the rest of the couriers for me this year.

Excited to hear your impressions as another Timeless Ti user. I think you’re in for a real treat.

And I totally agree that USPS is absolutely doing an incredible job lately. More timely than the rest of the couriers for me this year.
Yeah I don’t want to say too much after only one shave (15 minutes ago) but so far very impressed! I foresee a shave off between the Timeless and the Blackbird in my future!

What are your impressions in person? Is the finish similar to how it looks in the pictures?
I think it reads somewhat darker dependent on lighting. I am very happy with that. Maybe something a bit darker than space gray for apple, if that happens to be something you can compare to. Here is a better balanced image on daylight bulb, so brighter direct lighting. Depending on your monitor calbiration it can vary but I hand tuned white balance and tone to get pretty close to what I see visually.
DSCF7493.png

So tempted to shave with this today but going to hold off till tomorrow morning. The razor is wonderfully balanced and with felt weight evenly distributed, neither bottom or top heavy. Just enough heft without it feeling like a toy. After viewing all of the close ups in various threads, I am reminded that this razor is relatively modest in size when held. I think that appearance in images is a credit to the strong design lines of the Blackbird. The bead blasted finish still has a hint of texture, as if it was dutifully worked by hand, which I am happy for. Some of the bead blasting I have seen with other razors almost reads like plastic.

I now have two versions the machined and the bead blasted (satin). I would rebuy the machined finish before the bead blasted. I didn’t realize how much I appreciate the slight sheen and color of the machined.

The bead blasted is very nice and I like it a lot, but I now love the machined finish.

I now have two versions the machined and the bead blasted (satin). I would rebuy the machined finish before the bead blasted. I didn’t realize how much I appreciate the slight sheen and color of the machined.

The bead blasted is very nice and I like it a lot, but I now love the machined finish.
This is sort of what I was talking about with my original post. I get that polishing titanium is a real p.i.t.a. and I'm pretty much over it. Don't get me wrong though. If/when Shane feels good about a polished version again, I'll be more than happy with it too.

I have come to fully appreciate the satin finish for its own unique qualities. With that said, if given the choice, and these are the only two options, I'd probably still choose the machined finish with its sheen over the satin finish.

On a side note the biggest thing holding me back from making a purchase is that I'm honestly bummed that the titanium Blackbird doesn't have an option for the long handle or an open-comb base plate like the stainless steel version does. I'd like to buy a titanium long handled version with both SB and OC base plates.

I may be an outsider but having large hands and a large collection of razors to gain experience from, has made me aware that I find longer handles more appealing than shorter ones. I'm also realizing how much I genuinely enjoy the shaves I get from open-comb razors.

All this plus the fact that a possible multicolored (heat treated) version or even certain colored anodized versions are (possibly) on the horizon mean that I have to be really careful as to when I pull the trigger on a Blackbird of my own. I'm not fortunate enough to be able to be buying multiple version of this razor. It's a expensive razor and I have expensive taste. But let me be honest. There are quite a few other expensive razors out there that I'd like to own as well. This includes other Blackland razors.

Anyway, I wouldn't be writing all this about the Blackbird if it didn't have my attention. It's a masterpiece in its own right and is highly deserving of analysis and debate. It's about as close to equally perfect in both form and function as you can get.

To all that own one, in any fashion, enjoy. Cheers to you all. Blackland is a perfect match for this time in the "modem" wet-shaving shaving world. Let's all hope Blackland sticks around for a long time to come.

Agreed. I ordered Sunday and had it Wednesday which is perhaps the quickest I've ever received a package from California to NC.
It seems like mine has to travel to all the states in the US before it arrives in Norway:)
Where the H... is Carson.
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CARSON, CA 90747 on August 17, 2022 at 8:11 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Me watching the tracking updates.
Popcorn.gif

Top Bottom