What's new

CCW - only 2 guns….

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I know I'm late to this and I read through the whole thing. One big question in my mind.

@joel Can you have two models of pistol on your CCW? Or two specific serial #s?

I.e. if you happened to own 2 Glock 43s, would you just have Glock 43 on your permit and you could carry either one, plus also have a Kahr (or whatever) on your CCW? Or would each Glock 43 count separately on your CCW?

Personally, my current EDC is a DW Guardian in 38 Super. But, I am in the process of vetting a Canik Mete MC9 and will change over to that as my one-EDC-for-everything once I've shot it enough to be fully confident in it.

In other words, I would really only need one gun listed, if I lived where I had a limitation like that. I would not concealed carry anything smaller than a 9mm and the MC9 is pretty much as small as they come. If the MC9 is too big, I'd modify my attire to accommodate it rather than carry something in a smaller caliber.

I just spent the weekend putting a bunch of rounds down range with a Canik TP9sfx. I was very impressed with its trigger, accuracy and reliability.

I’m a dyed in the wool Glock guy, but I am seriously thinking about picking up a Canik compact of some kind. It was just too good of an experience for the excellent quality that pistol showed at it’s very reasonable price point. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I just spent the weekend putting a bunch of rounds down range with a Canik TP9sfx. I was very impressed with its trigger, accuracy and reliability.

I’m a dyed in the wool Glock guy, but I am seriously thinking about picking up a Canik compact of some kind. It was just too good of an experience for the excellent quality that pistol showed at it’s very reasonable price point. :)
nudder Turkish firm.

I know I'm late to this and I read through the whole thing. One big question in my mind.

@joel Can you have two models of pistol on your CCW? Or two specific serial #s?

I.e. if you happened to own 2 Glock 43s, would you just have Glock 43 on your permit and you could carry either one, plus also have a Kahr (or whatever) on your CCW? Or would each Glock 43 count separately on your CCW?

Personally, my current EDC is a DW Guardian in 38 Super. But, I am in the process of vetting a Canik Mete MC9 and will change over to that as my one-EDC-for-everything once I've shot it enough to be fully confident in it.

In other words, I would really only need one gun listed, if I lived where I had a limitation like that. I would not concealed carry anything smaller than a 9mm and the MC9 is pretty much as small as they come. If the MC9 is too big, I'd modify my attire to accommodate it rather than carry something in a smaller caliber.
2 serial numbers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

Caniks have become very popular with the guys I compete with. I'm afraid to shoot one. I can't afford to "need" one right now.

Found myself in a similar situation when a HK P30 showed up at work and was quickly snapped up by a local sheriff‘s deputy. Regardless, some due diligence turned up another. It’s headed my way…..
IMG_0796.jpeg

I hate Glocks. I was 1911-only until a bit under 2 years ago. The trigger on a stock Glock is just awful (compared to what I am used to). Canik is the first striker-fired gun I have found that I can stand the trigger. And on my Caniks, I can more than just "stand" the trigger.

I was shooting a TP9 SFx in USPSA, then I stepped up to a Rival SFx when that came out. SO much better! Mainly in the ergonomics around the beavertail area. It seems minor, but it made a huge difference in comfort, to me.

Now I've sold the TP9 SFx and got a Rival-S (steel frame), with the Rival relegated to backup duty. I haven't shot the -S in a match yet.

I've done simple trigger mods to both my Rivals and they are now better than some stock 1911s.

Whether you go poly or steel, the Canik Rival is simply a great pistol - regardless of the price. The poly being under $600 just makes it even better. Ditto for the steel at under $800 (if you can find one).

I'm still vetting my Mete MC9. It is very nice to shoot for such a small gun. The trigger is not as good out of the box as the Rivals. Mainly, it's heavier, but also had a little creep, which the Rivals did not. But, the MC9 seems to be smoothing out and getting a little lighter. Another 200 rounds or so and, assuming it stays trouble-free, and a Freedomsmith trigger installed, and I think it'll be ready for prime time.

2 serial numbers.

In that case, if it was me, I would probably have 2 of the same thing. If you like Glock 43s, then two of those.

I normally keep one carry gun in my truck and then carry another on my person. I suspect, in your state, those would both count as "concealed carry", so those would be your two serial #s.

Some people like to change up what they carry all the time. I don't. I want my hand to have NO confusion when it reaches for and pulls, should that need ever arise. My EDC is one gun that will work for me in most all circumstances. Up until now, that has been a 1911 bobtail Commander. But, it IS too big and heavy for some specific scenarios. Thus, I have had a different, smaller backup (Hellcat). However, that is part of the reason I'm going to a Mete MC9. It is small enough that I can just use it all the time. I will probably buy a second one, so I can have one in the truck and the same thing on my hip.

I'm not a LEO or military. I don't get to train all the time. I don't feel good about my ability to maintain proficiency with multiple different pistols, so that I can carry different ones at different times and know that I can draw from concealment and present with the speed and competency that I want, no matter which pistol I'm carrying.

OkieStubble

I hate Glocks. I was 1911-only until a bit under 2 years ago. The trigger on a stock Glock is just awful (compared to what I am used to). Canik is the first striker-fired gun I have found that I can stand the trigger. And on my Caniks, I can more than just "stand" the trigger.

I was shooting a TP9 SFx in USPSA, then I stepped up to a Rival SFx when that came out. SO much better! Mainly in the ergonomics around the beavertail area. It seems minor, but it made a huge difference in comfort, to me.

Now I've sold the TP9 SFx and got a Rival-S (steel frame), with the Rival relegated to backup duty. I haven't shot the -S in a match yet.

I've done simple trigger mods to both my Rivals and they are now better than some stock 1911s.

Whether you go poly or steel, the Canik Rival is simply a great pistol - regardless of the price. The poly being under $600 just makes it even better. Ditto for the steel at under $800 (if you can find one).

I'm still vetting my Mete MC9. It is very nice to shoot for such a small gun. The trigger is not as good out of the box as the Rivals. Mainly, it's heavier, but also had a little creep, which the Rivals did not. But, the MC9 seems to be smoothing out and getting a little lighter. Another 200 rounds or so and, assuming it stays trouble-free, and a Freedomsmith trigger installed, and I think it'll be ready for prime time.

Great post on the Caniks. I might have to look at the Mete 9 now that you have mentioned it. :)

I'm not a LEO or military. I don't get to train all the time. I don't feel good about my ability to maintain proficiency with multiple different pistols, so that I can carry different ones at different times and know that I can draw from concealment and present with the speed and competency that I want, no matter which pistol I'm carrying.

Nothing wrong at all with getting to know one, single EDC pistol intimately. I just happen to know several pistols very intimately for EDC.

But it’s not because I’m retired law enforcement, or because I have done a lot of range time, which I indeed have over the years.

Most of my intimate knowledge that came with the familiarization and comfort with many different pistols, never left my bedroom and nary a shot fired?

The range isn’t where someone gets familiarity with their pistols, it’s one’s home where they do that. Almost the opposite of marriage. :)

I became trained, familiar and comfortable when courting my wife for 10 years before our marriage. The honeymoon only confirmed the job well done in familiarity from the work put in from the previous decade.

When I go and put rounds down range from any of my EDC’s? It will confirm to me, all the time, effort and work I put in, standing in front of my bedroom mirror with a holster, empty pistol and dummy rounds.

I have many guns. But most of them, are not for EDC? So they only get used at the range. I’ve never stood in front of the mirror with my 26” duck gun or my .30-.30 or .270 deer rifle.

But my few EDC’s? I guarantee, over the years, I have spent 10X the amount of time training in front of a bedroom mirror with a holster, empty pistol and dummy rounds then I ever have at a range…

And I have put THOUSANDS of rounds down range in my time. :)

Last edited:
Great post on the Caniks. I might have to look at the Mete 9 now that you have mentioned it. :)

One other thing about the TP9 SFx versus the Metes and Rivals. The TP9 SFx is a PITA to break down for swapping out the trigger. It needs one special tool to remove the pin in the takedown button.

A change they made in the Mete and later (Rival) is you no longer need that special tool. They come with the only tool (a punch) you need to take them all the way down.

The TP9 SFx is a very good pistol. But, the Metes and Rivals are so much better, I couldn't recommend anyone to buy a TP9 SFx unless it is just stupid cheap.

I've become a huge fan of Caniks. I have the TP9SF and love it. Best trigger on a striker-fired gun I've ever seen, bar none, and the build quality is simply outstanding.

proxy.php

I am in the same situation as I'm in CA arguably live in one of the most difficult and arduous counties to get a CCW. Post Bruen, it is a bit easier now, but they still drag out the process as I hear it is taking well over a year for many to get their permit.

I love my full-size Glocks and pretty much take a G17 to any class. They are super reliable if you don't go and mess with them thinking you're going to make them "better" by replacing everything, but not a fan of how thick they are for concealing (even the G26 feels like a brick in my waistband) so I went with a S&W Shield. I love that little fireman and it's my main firearm for CCW. I carry it with a spare mag. They also mag Magutz for the Shield mags if you want to go that route (but I don't like to mess with stuff like that for a CCW). Sure, carrying a micro compact is a compromise, but 99.9% of the time it's going to be concealed, so comfort and concealment is a huge factor for me. I shoot the Shield really well. My county's range qual goes out to 25 yards and consists of 50 shots. Was easily able to shoot in the 240's out of a possible 250 points on the qual with the Shield and that was with irons. Have since added a red dot and it's even easier now.

My other firearm on my permit os a CZ 75D PCR. Around the same size as a Glock 19. Fantastic firearm is you're into DA/SA (my first firearm was an M9 so I'm used to DA/SA). The only problem I've having is there are not a lot of holster choices for that specific firearm, especially for AIWB. I pretty much carry the Shield all the time.

Have read quite a few stories about reliability and quality issues with Kahr, but have never owned one personally.

Last edited:
I am in the same situation as I'm in CA arguably live in one of the most difficult and arduous counties to get a CCW. Post Bruen, it is a bit easier now, but they still drag out the process as I hear it is taking well over a year for many to get their permit.

I love my full-size Glocks and pretty much take a G17 to any class. They are super reliable if you don't go and mess with them thinking you're going to make them "better" by replacing everything, but not a fan of how thick they are for concealing (even the G26 feels like a brick in my waistband) so I went with a S&W Shield. I love that little fireman and it's my main firearm for CCW. I carry it with a spare mag. They also mag Magutz for the Shield mags if you want to go that route (but I don't like to mess with stuff like that for a CCW). Sure, carrying a micro compact is a compromise, but 99.9% of the time it's going to be concealed, so comfort and concealment is a huge factor for me. I shoot the Shield really well. My county's range qual goes out to 25 yards and consists of 50 shots. Was easily able to shoot in the 240's out of a possible 250 points on the qual with the Shield and that was with irons. Have since added a red dot and it's even easier now.

My other firearm on my permit os a CZ 75D PCR. Around the same size as a Glock 19. Fantastic firearm is you're into DA/SA (my first firearm was an M9 so I'm used to DA/SA). The only problem I've having is there are not a lot of holster choices for that specific firearm, especially for AIWB. I pretty much carry the Shield all the time.

Have read quite a few stories about reliability and quality issues with Kahr, but have never owned one personally.
Bro, if you want to be comfortable, go OWB, and don’t look back. I’m in CA.(SLO), been carrying for decades. Nobody is looking, printing is a factor of self conscious OCD. If you like that PCR you’d be able to find a holster easily. I actually used to have a P01 on my permit, which I believe is the same exact size except it has a rail. Took it off as it’s kinda heavy compared to the HK P2000sk I carry now. I’ll never know how you guys get in and out of a truck with all that extra bulk shoved down your pants. I got no room.

Bro, if you want to be comfortable, go OWB, and don’t look back. I’m in CA.(SLO), been carrying for decades. Nobody is looking, printing is a factor of self conscious OCD. If you like that PCR you’d be able to find a holster easily. I actually used to have a P01 on my permit, which I believe is the same exact size except it has a rail. Took it off as it’s kinda heavy compared to the HK P2000sk I carry now. I’ll never know how you guys get in and out of a truck with all that extra bulk shoved down your pants. I got no room.
It's called concealed carry. Half the time I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt, so OWB is not an option, and has nothing to do with the fact that "nobody is looking" as you said. My Tier1 AIWB is very comfortable. Have no idea what you're describing as extra bulk, and it's not an issue getting in and out of vehicles, and is actually much easier to draw if I needed to compared to someone carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock while seated in a car. My Shield with an extra mag in a Tier1 Axis Elite is not heavy at all and super concealable. I can wear it on my way to the gym just wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt, and I don't wear baggy clothes and when I wear jeans and a t-shirt it's usually a somewhat slim fitting t-shirt and you'd never know I was concealing a firearm. I'm not rolling around with baggy shorts and a shirt two sizes too big.

And there are not a lot of companies out there making AIWB holsters for the PCR. More companies make holsters for the 75 Compact, but the PCR is a little different.

If I'm going to be carrying a firearm it makes more sense to me (your wants and needs may be different) to have something that's small and concealable. I shoot that Shield probably better than most people shoot their larger pistols because I train and practice. If I can get away carrying something smaller and be more comfortable doing it I'll be more inclined to carry it all the time compared to the guy who isn't comfortable. And I can wear whatever I want to wear and not have what I'm carrying dictate my attire.

It's called concealed carry. Half the time I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt, so OWB is not an option, and has nothing to do with the fact that "nobody is looking" as you said. My Tier1 AIWB is very comfortable. Have no idea what you're describing as extra bulk, and it's not an issue getting in and out of vehicles, and is actually much easier to draw if I needed to compared to someone carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock while seated in a car. My Shield with an extra mag in a Tier1 Axis Elite is not heavy at all and super concealable. I can wear it on my way to the gym just wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt, and I don't wear baggy clothes and when I wear jeans and a t-shirt it's usually a somewhat slim fitting t-shirt and you'd never know I was concealing a firearm. I'm not rolling around with baggy shorts and a shirt two sizes too big.

And there are not a lot of companies out there making AIWB holsters for the PCR. More companies make holsters for the 75 Compact, but the PCR is a little different.

If I'm going to be carrying a firearm it makes more sense to me (your wants and needs may be different) to have something that's small and concealable. I shoot that Shield probably better than most people shoot their larger pistols because I train and practice. If I can get away carrying something smaller and be more comfortable doing it I'll be more inclined to carry it all the time compared to the guy who isn't comfortable. And I can wear whatever I want to wear and not have what I'm carrying dictate my attire.
I know what it‘s called, and I’ve been carrying in CA for 40 years with “jeans and a t shirt” Knock yourself out. Lol.

I know what it‘s called, and I’ve been carrying in CA for 40 years with “jeans and a t shirt” Knock yourself out. Lol.
Different ways of wearing jeans and a t-shirt. There's the baggy jeans and oversized t-shirt and others who might wear their clothes a little more fitting. I wonder why you care so much though?

I don't understand what your point was. You made assumptions and told me what I should do for reasons that I never even mentioned. Since you've repeatedly told us all how long you've been carrying, you should already know that there's more than one way to carry, and there's no right or wrong way, and it's what works for you. And what works for you might not work for someone else. Differnt body types, differnt clothing choices, different environments, etc.

Biggest red flag is when someone spouts off and tells everyone else that their way is the only way and everything else is wrong, but you don't seem to understand that apparently.

OkieStubble

Biggest red flag is when someone spouts off and tells everyone else that their way is the only way and everything else is wrong, but you don't seem to understand that apparently.

Lol’d, define irony? :)

First one smelt it, first one dealt it?

:)

Last edited:
Lol’d, define irony? :)

First one smelt it, first one dealt it?

:)
Whatever makes you happy, buddy! If calling someone out makes me a troll then I guess that's what I am in your eyes.

Big difference between saying there's only one way to do something and going my own real-world anecdotal evidence on what I've actually experienced with reasons and rationales on why I believe what I believe and why I use what I use (or don't use).

You must have a thing for me though if you're following me from thread to thread. And I'm the troll?!

Different ways of wearing jeans and a t-shirt. There's the baggy jeans and oversized t-shirt and others who might wear their clothes a little more fitting. I wonder why you care so much though?

I don't understand what your point was. You made assumptions and told me what I should do for reasons that I never even mentioned. Since you've repeatedly told us all how long you've been carrying, you should already know that there's more than one way to carry, and there's no right or wrong way, and it's what works for you. And what works for you might not work for someone else. Differnt body types, differnt clothing choices, different environments, etc.

Lol. Do you even read your own posts? You roll up in here complaining you can’t find an IWB holster for your PCR , and I simply say get an OWB and you can carry it comfortably. Even qualified my comment by adding that I have a similar P01 that I carried comfortably in “jeans and a t shirt”. OBTW, Hopalong Cassidy is a cowboy and cowboys don’t wear baggy. FWIW I got a whole drawer full of unused, uncomfortable IWB holsters. Find the light Grasshopper!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Lol. Do you even read your own posts? You roll up in here complaining you can’t find an IWB holster for your PCR , and I simply say get an OWB and you can carry it comfortably. Even qualified my comment by adding that I have a similar P01 that I carried comfortably in “jeans and a t shirt”. OBTW, Hopalong Cassidy is a cowboy and cowboys don’t wear baggy. FWIW I got a whole drawer full of unused, uncomfortable IWB holsters. Find the light Grasshopper!
So please wander over to my Boxes of Shame thread and tell us about yours.

Prove it with pictures of what you wear in the summer in California while wearing your OWB holster. I think that would help quite a bit. People always make claims about being able to conceal, especially with threads about conceal carry saying this or that is the way, but never add their style of dress or add photos. I'd be really interested in seeing how you carry your CZ at 3 o'clock OWB with slim fitting clothing is all.

Top Bottom